mouseketeer

[MOD/MOC] Expanding the 10254 Winter Holiday Train

Recommended Posts

I love this set, but even before it came out I wanted to add some custom wagons to it to make it longer. Finally my Bricklink orders have come in (apart from glass for the windows, whoops!), and my train is ready for Christmas!

I've added five new carriages -  a Hot Cocoa Tanker, a Passenger Car, a Present Wagon, a Reindeer Wagon, a Christmas Tree Wagon, and converted the original middle car into a Santa Wagon. The full imgur gallery can be found here - http://imgur.com/a/D135p

C0Mxvtb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely work, mouseketeer! All the additions are lovely and useful and the overall look is fantastic, even more cohesive than the original.  The passenger car is exactly what it needs, the reindeers will be happy to get a ride rather than having to fly, but that hot cocoa car... oh wow, I want to line up now for a steaming mug of hot cocoa!!!  What a wonderful idea!  So cute and original.  I love it.

In fact, now that I've seen that cocoa car, my winter villagers are clamouring for one in their train too.  Would you mind if I copied your idea?  All credits given, of course.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very cool. Like how you used the design of the 10197 wagons and "refreshed" them. Also, Santa's chair in front of the tree is very well thought through!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb!  The updated cars from 10173 are just great!  I was feeling a little bad about replacing the old Holiday Train with this one, but this really is the best of both… and the hot cocoa tanker is inspired!  :sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great.  I was planning on adding the passenger car and tree car from the old holiday train set to mine.  Love what you did, the cocoa car is awesome!

Edited by aukevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent MOD for this set!  I too will rave about the hot chocolate tanker, it really brings something new to the train.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you've just made it what we wish it had been like! That passenger car should have been part of the set instead of the small one. As others have said, that cocoa cart!! Loving it! Especially the little glasses off the side of it! The reindeer car is a nice touch too, great job on making this look complete!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a bit disappointed with the minimalistic train that Lego made. So I chose to not buy it. I understand that they chose to add track and a little platform instead of making the train more complete and keeping the cost affordable, but this MOD of yours is just scrumptious. Love that hot chocolate car, reindeer car and the present car ideas, as well as a full size passenger car. I guess the engine may need to be upgraded to haul all of these wonderful cars. Love it!

You need to post these photos on Flickr groups. More people need to see this.

Miro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, amazing job !!

this is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I first saw they released a Christmas train.

Usually I don't do that, but is there any chance you share LDD or instructions ? All credits given of course !!

Big up and big thanks in advance !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutchinou, Mouseketeer is selling the instructions on eBay. Thanks Mouseketeer!! I purchased them and am working my way through them, building in LDD first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alsielou said:

Rutchinou, Mouseketeer is selling the instructions on eBay. Thanks Mouseketeer!! I purchased them and am working my way through them, building in LDD first.

I looked for them on ebay but didn't see them, have a link?  I was able to deduce all the parts I needed for his passenger train and cocoa train from the images.  They are so good I wanted to copy him!  :)  But I would be happy to purchase the full instructions on ebay just to show him some support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The additional cars are really good especially the hot cocoa car. I was planning on doing anothing additional passenger car but this might inspire me to do a cocoa car or food car of some sort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aukevin said:

I looked for them on ebay but didn't see them, have a link?  

Here is the link that I can see from ebay Australia:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291917125442 

If that doesn't work, try searching for "instructions winter train"

I agree that it is good to support those who make beautiful creations and go to the effort of making instructions available. I also bought the instructions to Kristel's winter village cafe (google it!) and am just about to receive my final bricklink order for it. I built that first in LDD too and have made a few little modifications to it and the whole process has been lots of fun. I am now feeling confident enough in LDD and bricklink to really get stuck into my own proper moc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are really great wagons, I love the Hot Cocoa Tanker! :wub: I do wish the actual set had come with one more wagon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a great MOD, I may well buy my first set of instructions! It really kicks the train up a notch or ten! 

I'd like mouseketeer to confirm, however, that those are his instructions for sale, as there have been a lot of problems with people stealing designs and selling them on ebay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alsielou said:

Here is the link that I can see from ebay Australia:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291917125442 

If that doesn't work, try searching for "instructions winter train"

I agree that it is good to support those who make beautiful creations and go to the effort of making instructions available. I also bought the instructions to Kristel's winter village cafe (google it!) and am just about to receive my final bricklink order for it. I built that first in LDD too and have made a few little modifications to it and the whole process has been lots of fun. I am now feeling confident enough in LDD and bricklink to really get stuck into my own proper moc. 

Thank you!  I purchased the instructions.  Such great additions for this set.  I checked out that cafe, that one is awesome too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaineBrickFan said:

This is such a great MOD, I may well buy my first set of instructions! It really kicks the train up a notch or ten! 

I'd like mouseketeer to confirm, however, that those are his instructions for sale, as there have been a lot of problems with people stealing designs and selling them on ebay. 

It is me selling them, thanks for considering that :) Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291917125442?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

@biglesdug I have motorized it, yes! If you have the original train you've probably experienced the skipping problem already so needless to say, because this one's so big, I've attached two motors to it so that it moves smoothly! I can't wait to put it round my Christmas tree.

Edited by mouseketeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2016 at 9:08 AM, mouseketeer said:

It is me selling them, thanks for considering that :) Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291917125442?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

@biglesdug I have motorized it, yes! If you have the original train you've probably experienced the skipping problem already so needless to say, because this one's so big, I've attached two motors to it so that it moves smoothly! I can't wait to put it round my Christmas tree.

I build your passenger car tonight, very happy with it.  I could not have four sets of wheels on the car though and have it still go around curves on my track, so I only have two pair of wheels.  Were you able to get yours to go around curves with all four pairs?  Anyway, here's my car.  Thanks for the inspiration!  Will do the cocoa train next :)rsz_2psx_20161026_223903.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fantastic to see, thank you for uploading this!! If you take a look at the instructions I've placed pairs of wheels under bogie plates (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4025#T=C) and then built the base of the passenger car up with plates that include two 2x6 plates with 5 holes (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32001&name=Technic, Plate 2 x 6 with 5 Holes&category=[Technic, Plate]#T=C) - being able to spin, it's able to go round corners no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mouseketeer said:

That's fantastic to see, thank you for uploading this!! If you take a look at the instructions I've placed pairs of wheels under bogie plates (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4025#T=C) and then built the base of the passenger car up with plates that include two 2x6 plates with 5 holes (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32001&name=Technic, Plate 2 x 6 with 5 Holes&category=[Technic, Plate]#T=C) - being able to spin, it's able to go round corners no problem.

Ok, I was wondering if you used a piece like that remembering the engine was similar.  I didn't use the instructions for this car because I had already ordered pieces off bricklink to build blind before I knew you were selling instructions.  I will definitely try out this method because I liked the look of the double wheels better and with a car this long, it is a little stiff going around corners even with just two pair of wheels.  Thanks!

Edited by aukevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.