Sign in to follow this  
Oliver 79

(MOD) 4404 monster makeover

Greetings brickers.

I'm usually found lurking in the Technic forum. But recently my interests have led me to this rather fascinating forum, full of all sorts of wonders!

The project I would like to show here started with the 4404 "Land Busters" set. I saw one for sale on one of those well known auction sites, but it was very dirty looking and I didn't have the necessary funds at the time.

So I decided to build one out of the available parts I had at hand. All that was missing where a few red panels and arches. A small Bricklink order later, and I was building!

I loved the shape and feel of the official model, but I was upset by the lack of steering. It soon became my mission to add the features that I felt it lacked. It was actually a bit more tricky than I imagined due to lack of space in the body work. The project was abandoned and I went back to building strictly Technic models.

And then the Class xerion came out. suddenly it hit me like a slap to the face. 4404 monster truck with the class tires!

It was perfect. all the mechanics could be underneath the body without the worry of spoiling the look of the 4404.

So without further ado, I introduce to you, the 4404 monster......

1.jpg

Other than being red instead of yellow, I wanted to keep the body as close to the original  as possible. I kept the opening doors, hood and back and tried not to mess with the interior too much. But because of the modified chassis, the seats suffered a little and the foot peddles had to go.

3.jpg

I cant help feeling that the side view makes me want to shift the body forwards a little. The middle is centered, but I just can't shake the feeling.......

2.jpg

I changed out the old engine, and put in a Technic one that is connected to all four wheels via two differentials. I think it gives a slight realism to the otherwise static show engine it had before.

4.jpg

Here's a close up of the interior.

5.jpg

The suspension works wonderfully, even with all the weight of the bricks. I used the large shocks and tweaked the angles of them to get the best feel. It's nice and soft, but still firm enough not to sag. I'd love to see it crush some cars and bounce over dirt ramps!

7.jpg

I added four wheel steering, which gave me a bit of a headache to implement. It works, but there is a lot of back lash from the amount of U joints and CV joints it passes through. The black gear in the back is the HOG wheel. I decided to use a linkage system rather than a rack and pinion. This helped with the space issues I had, but turns out the reality is not so good. I may change this at some point, but I can't see an alternative at the moment. Any suggestions are always welcome!

8.jpg

Thanks for looking. I hope you like it. Constructive criticism and comments welcome.

So cool!! Red and black are great colour choices. Smooth red surfaces are pleasant to watch.

On 19/10/2016 at 11:37 PM, Brandon Miller said:

I dig it!

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Heksu said:

So cool!! Red and black are great colour choices. Smooth red surfaces are pleasant to watch.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't check the red arches price on Bricklink before I decided on red!

Still, I like the outcome.