Ayrlego

[COR - Oct FB3] Salt Pork Factory, Mooreton Bay

With the establishment of a hog plantation and salt works to Mooreton Bay, Major Allcock has established a factory to produce salt pork to resupply ships visiting the settlement. Together with hard tack, salt pork forms one of the dietary staples of long ocean voyages.

29771453433_844ae0565e_c.jpg

Out the front of the factory, a victualler from a visiting naval vessel arranges the delivery of additional rations for his ship. 

Inside the factory, which has been sunken into the ground to help keep the temperature down, the process of preserving the meat is carried out.

30367010976_0349c265c7_c.jpg

Firstly the pigs are butchered and the meat is cut into pieces ready for preservation. Each piece is then dry rubbed with salt and placed in a barrel of brine for five days to remove the blood (blood can spoil the preservation process). After the five days the meat is removed. An additional layer of salt is added to each piece of meat as it is packed into a barrel. Once full, fresh brine is added and the barrel is then sealed ready for storage.

29771452883_fe0d4e38c3_c.jpg

At the rear of the factory a worker loads freshly delivered salt down the specially designed chute. Two of the newly raised colonial militia pass on patrol.

Licensed as a medium factory in Mooreton Bay. Inspiration for the build came from  @SilentWolf and @Brickwolf 's builds of a hog plantation and salt works. The factory design is heavily influenced by @Elostirion's barrel factory in Nova Terreli.

The front wall and roof detach for easy access to the interior.

30105898990_f0130edcbd_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy and C&C always welcome!

These educative sort of builds are always enjoyable, particularly when they look so great!  That roof is always eye-catching, and I really like the way you've sunk it into the ground!  The salt chute is really clever and so is the use of flesh hands for pig meat! :thumbup: 

Lovely building! My favourite overall detail is how it is recessed into the ground. The exterior is great, and the loading bay for salt is a great addition as is that terracotta roof. I really like how you play into the other buildings opened in Mooreton Bay! The interior is great too, with a lot of interesting details (I love those hanging pigs!) , and your description of the process really enlightened me! (Is this a true description of the actual process? :classic: )

When the Naval Base at King's Harbour becomes more organised, expect the provisioner to stop by to place orders for a continuous supply to the fleets! :pir-grin:

Excellent build all around! I'm a fan of these educational process builds, as you know. :pir-grin: I love the ability to disassemble the walls and roof to open it up, and good job with the partially sunken design. Using minifig hands for the pieces of pork is really clever. There's really so much to like here. Well done! :thumbup:

Also, I had failed to look closely at your colonial militia figs in the earlier build, as my attention was on the structure and cannon. Nice use of the red armada torsos for Corrie militia!

It looked good enough from the outside and then you see what you've done inside!  Fantastic, the hands rpresenting the cuts are superb but there are too many things to list which are great.  I think you have absolutely nailed this.  I also should add that the time you take with the description adds so much to the enjoyment of the build, it is something as a community we should (and I think do) value greatly.

Great to see the combination of builds creating new builds! This is a great factory. Some of my favorite parts are the fleshy hands for pork, the hanging pigs, the recessed building, the removable wall and roof. My only critcism would be that the ramp is a little steep. But other than that technical aspect I love this whole build. 

Brilliant build, Ayrlego, awesome use of flesh hands, and the rest of the depiction and explanation of the process is simply excellent as well! :thumbup:  As others have mentioned, the roof and slightly underground aspect of the building (great explanation of that too!) are a couple of other highlights here, and your photography and color-scheme also stand out as usual!  Plus, the fact that you were inspired by other members' builds in the settlement is awesome as well!  

Great job, keep the builds like this coming! 

Looks good - I like the roof (how come :pir-laugh:) - and finally a good use to all those useless fleshy hands.

I'd trade fleshy hands for decent yellow ones btw. :pir-grin:

I love when people pay attention to history and the actual process. The devil is in the details (which is a good thing).

I feel absolutely honoured by that MOC. Fantastic job at recreating so many elements and small details even of my original MOC. Lovely! :-) 

Also salt pork is a great idea, and you managed to display the whole process so nicely. Fantastic. It also provides a great story on why it is lowered into the ground.