Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

Anyone dyed a clear piece successfully?

I need to use a large curved piece in a pending MOC but, sadly, it is only available in clear. Has anyone on here ever had success applying dye to transparent parts? Any advice?

Yes, but only to black with RIT dye. It looks black from a distance. But if you hold it to light it is a very deep red translucent colour. I tried some other colour dyes on clear parts and they all remained transparent (which was what I wanted).

I've used a vinyl spray dye to colour pieces which has alway worked really well. I've sprayed pieces red and black as well as spraying both a full piece as well as masking an area to just stray part of it.

I'm not sure how that works with different dyes but I think a good dye will eat into the plastic slightly so the colour bonds rather than sits on top in the same way paint would.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

I've used a vinyl spray dye to colour pieces which has alway worked really well. I've sprayed pieces red and black as well as spraying both a full piece as well as masking an area to just stray part of it.

I'm not sure how that works with different dyes but I think a good dye will eat into the plastic slightly so the colour bonds rather than sits on top in the same way paint would.

Alright... I had kind of surmised this (and what MAB said) as well. Can you recommend a good vinyl spray dye to use?

1 hour ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Alright... I had kind of surmised this (and what MAB said) as well. Can you recommend a good vinyl spray dye to use?

I just visited Halfords (Motoring and cycle shop in the UK just in case you're not familiar) and just browsed their vinyl dyes which were near their spray paint and touch up section.

I think I just bought their own brand version.There a customiser called Kristi that has dyed several pieces and I know she dyed the tan hairpiece for Phoenix Custom's Bespin Luke to dark tan. Her flickr is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/custombricks. Her website is: http://custombricks.net/index.html

It might be worth sending her a message to ask her about dying items?

I have a successful attempt here. It's trans neon-green but you can try with other inks like green, blue, pink, orange... As long as you manage to get the ink refill on Amazon or similar stores