Rick

10255 Assembly Square

So several of us have had missing parts on this build.  For some of us, it is the first ever legitimate missing part in a lot of builds.  It makes me wonder if quality control slipped a little bit in order to have this set released on time for January 1.  With 4002 parts in this, perhaps it is easier than normal for this to go undetected in the weight checks.  There was nothing left over other than the normal expected tiny extra parts after missing the 1x4 brick, and I am positive it did not get misplaced or is still in a bag.  It kind of makes me wonder how many others are missing parts if those of us here only represent a tiny percentage of those who bought the set.  

Since there are lots of issues with incorrect bricks/missing bricks, I'm going to wait a little while before ordering mine.  Let's hope TLG get these issues sorted out by then.

I'm weighing up buying this or a Pet Shop. The Pet shop is about 20% lower in price but is still about a 50% premium on when it was still produced. Is it better to bite the bullet and just forget all the retired modulars from a value POV, or should I buy the Pet Shop now and the AS in 2019 or whenever it appears to be on the chopping block?

Get the Pet Shop now, while the price is still reasonable. If you don't mind, get it used for BL to save a bit. I wouldn't wait too long on AS though as I fear it may go the way of Town Hall.

So really like the AS but want to make it a true double wide modular!  64x32.   In addition to increasing the stud with to 64 from 48 want to get rid of the small alleyway between the florist and cafe bldgs.  So looking at a total of 20 studs.  Plans are to double the width of the shovel pieces (14studs) and add second row of windows to the cafe facade facing the street (6studs).  This will give me the 20 studs!  Only problem is no room in the budget for the expansion at this time........

For the last two weeks i've been working on this Lego 10255 Assembly Square modification. I managed in getting three original sets. The last set was delivered yesterday and so i could go one with this pretty large build. As you can see the ground floor is still a large hole. Only the corners are both the original café! Left side is  mirrorbuilt. I had to add a few tan plates to get a sturdy floor. Still working on the backside.. i made a bay window, but i'm not sure about that yet, so no pictures from that side yet! I have been working on the rest of the building too. The bakery/turret building looks promising to me, and maybe i can show some pictures later this weekend! The rest of the XL MOD will be revealed soon.. i hope my idea gives a lot of people inspiration for modifying this set into a slightly different street! So far the whole MOD is 136 studs wide... but i will add another 16 studs (stand alone florist) to that, so the total will be 152 studs wide and will have about 11.000 pieces!

Any comments, suggestions?

This is the first picture of my WIP of the Lego 10255 Assembly Square! I might change a bit here and there.. it is just a WIP!

32295582611_2af1ae5cd5_c.jpg

Just now, koalayummies said:

Oh wow LegoSjaak. Now I'm excited to see the photos when you get around to placing Mega Assembly Square in your city.

That will take some time... maybe start of february before i'm totaly done with the XL MOD...

31553271933_6984be832e_c.jpg

It looks great even half completed and we will all be very patient in anticipation. A little off topic but I like how the scooter girl and umbrella table from Pizza Van are there (did she grab a pastry?). Those two things inexplicably migrate around my room.

Are you going to keep the flower shop and bakery connected with the shared wall?

7 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

It looks great even half completed and we will all be very patient in anticipation. A little off topic but I like how the scooter girl and umbrella table from Pizza Van are there (did she grab a pastry?). Those two things inexplicably migrate around my room.

Are you going to keep the flower shop and bakery connected with the shared wall?

In the current setup, there will be a connection... also on the mirrorbuilt side.. I have one 16 wide florist left from the third set and will use that as a stand alone, to fill up 'gaps' in my layout!

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

For the last two weeks i've been working on this Lego 10255 Assembly Square modification. I managed in getting three original sets. The last set was delivered yesterday and so i could go one with this pretty large build. As you can see the ground floor is still a large hole. Only the corners are both the original café! Left side is  mirrorbuilt. I had to add a few tan plates to get a sturdy floor. Still working on the backside.. i made a bay window, but i'm not sure about that yet, so no pictures from that side yet! I have been working on the rest of the building too. The bakery/turret building looks promising to me, and maybe i can show some pictures later this weekend! The rest of the XL MOD will be revealed soon.. i hope my idea gives a lot of people inspiration for modifying this set into a slightly different street! So far the whole MOD is 136 studs wide... but i will add another 16 studs (stand alone florist) to that, so the total will be 152 studs wide and will have about 11.000 pieces!

Any comments, suggestions?

This is the first picture of my WIP of the Lego 10255 Assembly Square! I might change a bit here and there.. it is just a WIP!

This is big! and the overall result wil be huge! 3 sets! 

great job!

are you building a pizza place in there,  made from pieces of the foodtruck? I got that set yesterday and i am thinking of incorperating it as a part of a modular.
btw.. maybe you should remove the bottom plate of the pizza table if you're using it in the setup. I think the table is to high compared to minifigs.

Edited by SollX

3 minutes ago, SollX said:

This is big! and the overall result wil be huge! 3 sets! 

great job!

are you building a pizza place in there,  made from pieces of the foodtruck? I got that set yesterday and i am thinking of incorperating it as a part of a modular.
btw.. maybe you should remove the bottom plate of the pizza table if you're using it in the setup. I think the table is to high compared to minifigs.

Well, my son said the same.. he is 7 years old and told me i could use the pizza sign from the Pizza-van for the the front of the building (middle section) a cafe on both sides may look a bit weird, so i could do some design modifications there, so it seems there are two different cafe's on both side of the pizza-place! But again, still not sure if this will work!

Looks good and it doesn't have the problem your XL Pet Shop has where the space between the two center windows is double the other windows. Much more cohesive design here.

After working on this on and off for 3 days, I finally managed to finish mine and this is without running into any missing pieces. Seems strange that so many of you folks are missing pieces. 

I also am looking forward to seeing the XL version of this set. It's already fairly massive as is...the XL version would be on another level altogether! 

23 hours ago, atomic80 said:

After working on this on and off for 3 days, I finally managed to finish mine and this is without running into any missing pieces. Seems strange that so many of you folks are missing pieces. 

I also am looking forward to seeing the XL version of this set. It's already fairly massive as is...the XL version would be on another level altogether! 

Well, here it is.. i also made a new topic for it... 32077774610_c88bc4e722_z.jpg

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/146209-lego-10255-xxl-assembly-square-mod/

On 22/01/2017 at 9:21 AM, atomic80 said:

Seems strange that so many of you folks are missing pieces.

Not so many, compared to the very large mount of people who probably simply did not report that all was ok for theirs ;)

(problems are often emphasized in forums)

I do not know if it is bad luck or if happens more often than before, but in the last half year I had twice a part replaced by another, which never happened to me before in hundreds of sets (nor did any missing part occur).

Now that I have built this set, here's my mini review:

I love the look of the left-most, blue building. The flower shop building is ok, but not much more than that. The tower building looks pretty nice, but a little simplistic and also too small for such a building. I modded it with some more ornaments (I used square and round 1x1 tiles), which was easily done given that I just needed to attach them to the existing 1x2 plates with one stud.

All three buildings are quite small, which is not a problem when you view the set standalone. It looks really impressive. But as soon as you line it up with the rest of the modulars, the buildings' character sort of disappear and becomes just three small buildings squeezed in among other larger buildings. Especially the tower building, with it's small windows,  looks like it is almost in a smaller scale. I would have preferred this building to be bigger and angled to use the space where the "middle" flower shop building is now.

The build was great fun with a lot of variation and the interiors are superb overall. Dollhouse play value is great for kids (and adults with The Donald sized hands :)).

I would really recommend this set to someone who doesn't collect the modulars as it is a great piece by its own. For the rest of us, we will buy it anyway. Personally, I would have prefered one or two larger buildings over the three small ones we got. But it is a great set and I will be happy as long as Lego continues to release the modular buildings, although I am running out of space to display them all. I think I will soon have to remove some of the less attractive sets from my display and Assembly Square will not be among the first ones (Detective's Office is the first one to go, no competition). All in all, I would probably rate AS slightly above average, compared to all the other modulars (excluding CC and MS which I don't own).

Edited by bjorn77

I bought it last Friday, and Sunday I started on bags 6. Love the build and it is huge; Really pretty!

I am in love with the ballerina, the guitar and the piano.

So far I mis two pieces:

- A cookie title (two of these are needed at the display piece behind the window in the bakery), missing from bag 2 : https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98138pb037&idColor=2
- A white arch, need with the windows of the ballet studio. Missing from bag 5 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3659&idColor=1

Had this white slope extra after bag 5 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3676&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

38 minutes ago, Fabulandlover said:

I bought it last Friday, and Sunday I started on bags 6. Love the build and it is huge; Really pretty!

I am in love with the ballerina, the guitar and the piano.

So far I mis two pieces:

- A cookie title (two of these are needed at the display piece behind the window in the bakery), missing from bag 2 : https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98138pb037&idColor=2
- A white arch, need with the windows of the ballet studio. Missing from bag 5 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3659&idColor=1

Had this white slope extra after bag 5 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3676&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

I had that same white 1x4 arched brick missing in one of my sets... couldn't be a co-incidence...!

I had an extra bag from step 1 and missing a bag from step 2. Lego CS is sending me the missing parts (232!) and a Disco Batman poly for the inconvenience.  

I'm pretty much done with my XL version of the Assembly Square. There is some more interior detailing I'd like to do but, for now, I must move on to other projects. It's two full sets plus many runs to my own parts supply so I have no idea what the final piece count is. I'm very happy with the final look. It's got three full buildings and doesn't have that "squished" look. Enjoy!

32162675313_5dff8a5f4d_c.jpgDSC01883 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32596173840_1a88005346_c.jpgDSC01888 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

I did a fair amount of modification on the back stair area to get all the doors to open properly and have adequately landing for each one.

32596169920_9a97e87cb0_z.jpgDSC01889 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The top deck got tiled to brighten it up some. When I sketched this out in LDD, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use the scoops for the roof. It took some work, but I manged to make three fit nicely.

32852624621_7285def357_z.jpgDSC01890 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Top floor blue building dance studio. Next floor down is currently empty but I may try to make several practice rooms in it to keep with the music theme of the building (expect the ground floor.) One thing this building doesn't have is a loo and the coffee drinkers would appreciate that!

32852619591_87d2f95077_z.jpgDSC01892 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Top floor (5th) of the Bakery building is the AFOL hobby room! Mr. AFOL is about to crack the seal on a NIB Corner Cafe. The 4th floor will a bedroom/nursery for the AFOL family.

32977425505_ee52d4dbda_z.jpgDSC01894 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Third floor not complete yet. It needs a table and a bassinet for the twins. Mom is about to interrupt dad's building session!

32977422465_7d00521989_z.jpgDSC01895 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

I'd like to get the floor tiled, but for now, the owner is happy for the additional stock on display. He's hoping to get in some of those cool guitars that Batman has.

32852610641_188978c87c_z.jpgDSC01896 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The dentist has room for 2 chairs, barely! Now if his brother would stop romancing the cute burnette, he could take care of flattops tooth-ache.

32936334986_eeaec15561_z.jpgDSC01897 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Over in the portrait studio, Valley Girl and her lap dog are getting some shots taken.

32936331616_1492722da0_z.jpgDSC01898 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The barista is happy about the additional indoor table space and the wall behind her. Those music store patrons got on her nerves!

32133428904_3540a2a91f_z.jpgDSC01901 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The florist shop is 6 studs wider. The gentleman is wondering if one of the macaws is for sale.

32936317816_9e6c09fee9_z.jpgDSC01902 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

The bakery is 4 studs wider. Nobody in the shop at the moment but they will be shortly as the assistant is outside handing out samples.  

32133420344_0ce33b9b67_z.jpgDSC01904 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32133464634_36b5b48142_z.jpgDSC01886 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47