Rick

10255 Assembly Square

Both of my local Lego stores sold out, couldn't make it day 1 and glad I didn't as it must have been like black friday, should have called before driving to one store though. Also out of Architecture Chicago. Both backordered on Lego S&H as well. Never went for a modular on release day and probably won't ever again, either order online or wait until the chaos subsides. 

5 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Both of my local Lego stores sold out, couldn't make it day 1 and glad I didn't as it must have been like black friday, should have called before driving to one store though. Also out of Architecture Chicago. Both backordered on Lego S&H as well. Never went for a modular on release day and probably won't ever again, either order online or wait until the chaos subsides. 

I've never known it to be chaotic before this year.

Launch day is normally busy, but no more so than the run up to Christmas. This year I think was caused by the new Batman sets (in the UK at least)

The store I went to get mine was very orderly about it, almost strict. They came out about twenty minutes before opening to tell us they would be behind the register & it was one per person. You had to buy it right then, couldn't hold it at the counter while you shopped. The latter I understand, to avoid confusion. 

Man, it's really amazing. What a worthy set for ten years. I hope we get a gym n the future with all these sweets we got in there. :tongue:

Edited by Vindicare

I did manage to get one yesterday and also just went back to my local LEGO store and now they're all out of the Assembly Square too but they did have one on display. First time seeing it in the flesh and wow...I have to say it's impressive looking! 

After reading about the in store experiences, there is one word I wish TLG would add to their vocabulary: preorder

3 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

After reading about the in store experiences, there is one word I wish TLG would add to their vocabulary: preorder

I'd rather they added "click and collect"

1 hour ago, quark12000 said:

It's on backorder from Lego shop.  Should I be worried?

No, this typically happens with newly released sets that are much anticipated and deemed to be popular.  My prediction is it will return to stock in a couple of weeks after the initial rush is over.  Then, it should not be a problem except maybe during VIP double points offers.  The only thing you really have to consider getting quickly are certain Lego Ideas releases as they can be more unpredictable with much more limited production runs.  

On 1/2/2017 at 9:07 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I was curious about what the activity would be in the Lego stores on the morning of January 1.  My original plan was to get to Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, TX to get Assembly Square just before opening, but my youngest got sick and I was the only one who could watch him until the afternoon :wall:  By that time, I figured it was too risky to make the 30-45 minute drive to only end up not being able to pick one up.  You basically confirmed my worst fear so we ordered it online instead.  

Glad you got one online as I see it was on backorder by the end of the first day! It's truly a wonderful set. I'm enjoying it now before my niece and nephew have play time with it in a couple weeks. Then it will probably be repair time. Haha. 

The designer video is up!!! 

Nevermind. Now I remember it was posted before. I just get too excited for a child's toy sometimes... ?

Edited by Boettner Builds

Hello Guys, 

Today I built the Assembley Square. I made this hands-on video for you. It is my first YouTube video so please subscribe :) I'm from the Netherlands so my English is not the best in the world. 

Enjoy!

Edited by SvandeW

I can't wait to see all of the Assembly Square XL version that get created.  This is such a great set and a fun build.

it was not love at first sight with Assembly square.. But love at first build.. it is a fantastic set with a lot of nice building techniques, would recommend it to all lego modular fans and lego enthusiastic builders, enjoy :wink:

Received yesterday and just finished it.

but I m a bit desapointed by quality control on production lines. One reference was missing totally (military green plates 2x1 for sofas in café). Need to order them on Lego missing parts store. Just the 4th time it's arrive to me....

Had one missing piece as well.. the new 1 by 1 half rounded tile that I had not in stock.. Thankfully the piece was hidden and could replace it by 1 by 1 rounded piece..

Edited by SwissBrick

Finished mine yesterday, today I started converting it by splitting it into 2 building, and using them as a centerpiece to complete my 1 table modular layout. I still have to figure out what to do with the bridging element that connected the 2 buildings, but I like to look.

If you think you might try this in the future as well, switch the baseplates when building. It will be less sturdy probably, but disconnecting will be less of a hassle.

image.jpeg

Edited by Kievex

19 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

Had one missing piece as well.. the new 1 by 1 half rounded tile that I had not in stock.. Thankfully the piece was hidden and could replace it by 1 by 1 rounded piece..

Interesting.  I'm not in possession of assembly square as yet, but my recent Parisian Restaurant had 1 1x1 and 1 1x2 plates missing in the sage green.  Perhaps there is a wider issue, beyond this line?

Just finished building it last night.  It is truly a great modular with a lot of details and building techniques.  Funny thing is that days ago, I posted in the "missing parts" thread in general discussions about how I have never had a missing piece in a set.  Well, there was indeed one not there in Assembly Square.  It was missing a 1x4 LBG brick.  Just to be sure, I scrutinized every single bag to ensure it was still not in one.  A thorough look at the building area also revealed nothing, so this is a first for me.  Thankfully, I had some of those, so the problem was easily solved.  I am not going to order a replacement since TLG will apparently cut you off if you use the service too much. 

I'm always panicing slightly when i'm missing a part....but after a few seconds of really good searching... i always find it... I also left a piece in a bag a few times...so after checking the bags it was again, always there..So after having build hundreds of new sets....i'm almost convinced it is my own fault when i'm missing something...... So far i never had a missing piece....only a faulty piece...a tan 1x6 that was missing a corner because there hasn't been put enough molten ABS in the mould.....that was strange.. I've built Assembly Square for 2/3 now...and no pieces missing...!!

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

I'm always panicing slightly when i'm missing a part....but after a few seconds of really good searching... i always find it... I also left a piece in a bag a few times...so after checking the bags it was again, always there..So after having build hundreds of new sets....i'm almost convinced it is my own fault when i'm missing something...... So far i never had a missing piece....only a faulty piece...a tan 1x6 that was missing a corner because there hasn't been put enough molten ABS in the mould.....that was strange.. I've built Assembly Square for 2/3 now...and no pieces missing...!!

Same here. *fingers crossed* I finally had a problem two years ago when I bought Detective's Office. One of the large dark grey plates was bent. Sometimes it just takes a god scavenging to find it. Or, a different point of view. There have been time where I couldn't find a piece, so I get up & look from the other side of the table...only to find it right in front of where I was sitting...

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Same here. The only time I couldn't find a piece, I found it stuck in the corner of one of the bags.

No missing part for the moment (not yet finished to build), however in bags nr 4 I didn't have an extra "bar with claw" http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=48729b&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 in black

It still doesn't really count as "missing" I guess, even if there is always an extra of that part type.

However I got an extra metallic dish http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4740&idColor=67 in these same bags; is it an "error" or did everyone get an extra of that part?

I am considering getting it as well. I stick usuaily with small and midsized sets, with some exceptions, but nothing yet even remotely close to a 4k piece set. It would be my first modular as well and the first town strucuture as well. Is it a good idea to start with it? It is quite a significant investion after all. Or are there other sets which are more suiting? 

I am also tempted to just go the bricklink-way and do my own thing...