Rick

10255 Assembly Square

Lomis, thanks for the LDD version!

This truly goes to show how minuscule the modulars have become. We all know how small the light royal blue tower of DO is in reality. And here we now have two buildings that are practically of the same size. :(

The flower shop is 16-wide and looks big next to the other two buildings.

Edited by finnbricker

10 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Very useful! I I was waiting for it. I think there is a specific topic in which you can add it :

[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD

Yeah, I can't post my recent LXF file there as it's not based off of instructions and I'm sure there are far too many errors. 

Lomis, thank you very much for sharing the file! Thumbs up for your effort!

I've just tried placing Assembly Square next to some of the early modulars in LDD and I dare to say they go reasonably well together. I feared it would look way too small! Such a relief!

When rotating the modular, it is striking how much depth there is! I really think this one will look stunning in real life!

Edited by Wesley D

If we look at the size of the new buildings next to the Pet Shop, they are pretty much the same.

Pet Shop has been perhaps THE best selling modular building of all, with the longest shelf life. 

Ironically, the largest of all modulars, Town Hall, had the shortest shelf life and was apparently a very poor seller.

To those who lament the loss of larger buildings in the modular line - you didn't buy enough Town Halls and you bought too many Pet Shops and this is the result ;) 

20 minutes ago, Sammael said:

If we look at the size of the new buildings next to the Pet Shop, they are pretty much the same.

Pet Shop has been perhaps THE best selling modular building of all, with the longest shelf life. 

Ironically, the largest of all modulars, Town Hall, had the shortest shelf life and was apparently a very poor seller.

To those who lament the loss of larger buildings in the modular line - you didn't buy enough Town Halls and you bought too many Pet Shops and this is the result ;) 

Plus, whilst people complain the new ones are smaller, the older and larger buildings were pretty much just boxes. The new ones add so much more detail and variety.

Assembly Square isn't actually any smaller than the other recent releases (despite what people will say), and they aren't that much smaller than the older ones. Yes, a slight sacrifice, but I'd rather have an intricate and detailed build than a massive, repetitive rectangle like the Grand Emporium. 

Plus, when you look at the Town Hall, it's too tall and looks odd when compared to even the older modulars. If it was wider it may not be an issue, but as long as they insisted on sticking to 32 studs it wouldn't work for me.

The fact that Town Hall looks rather boring does not diminuish the point that modulars have gotten smaller starting with Palace Cinema.

Even the point about the height is irrelevant, as size is not just comprised of height.

Stuff like the right half of DO (utterly pointless upper floors that would never exist like that in real life, coupled with a brownstone 'expansion' the size of a broom closet) or the potemkin-like launderette "building" included with the Brick Bank just feel more at home in the city line than with the modulars. To be honest, the Brick Bank would be a much better building if they had just omitted that thing in favor of having one full-sized building.

In some ways, Assembly Square is better than the last two modulars in that regard. Especially the left building has nothing wrong with it, and my only real complaint about the two others is the shared staircase - though even that does exist in real life. Yes, they aren't near the size of CC or GG, but to me they look like believable buildings. None of the looks too exciting, but that's a different discussion altogether.

On 28-10-2016 at 8:14 PM, lomis said:

Here's my "interpretation" of the set for LEGO Digital Designer:

You can download the LXF file if you're interested.

Obviously, there is a lot that is wrong as some parts aren't available, there were collision errors in some cases, and many image angles of the set simply weren't available.

Also, I didn't include the figures.

Please, let me know if you find this useful.

Brilliant, cheers for that!

On 11/9/2016 at 1:01 AM, LegoSjaak said:

Would this be a nice version and also a possibility to split up the Assembly Square?

30573136600_3f01006415_b.jpg

And the fun begins... :)

37 minutes ago, rob-ot5000 said:

But.....there IS one.

Yes. I mean I'm excited for the dental clinic part of the set.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this set, loving all the details, looks great in the digital line up. Countdown on A month and half to go! 

I can't wait to get this! My boyfriend has been collecting the "American-style" modulars (bank, detective, cinema), and this has convinced me to start collecting the European style ones (which I'll count this among). I've just bought the Pet Shop seen as it's retiring, then I need to get the Parisian Restaurant, and then this. I think we'll have a competition to see who has the best looking street. :)  

On 11/19/2016 at 2:43 AM, SophieJade2210 said:

I can't wait to get this! My boyfriend has been collecting the "American-style" modulars (bank, detective, cinema), and this has convinced me to start collecting the European style ones (which I'll count this among). I've just bought the Pet Shop seen as it's retiring, then I need to get the Parisian Restaurant, and then this. I think we'll have a competition to see who has the best looking street. :)  

and you both can combine all Modulars together for best looking city system ;) 

Edited by VintageLegoEra

On 18/11/2016 at 5:43 PM, SophieJade2210 said:

Funny that you should mention American-style and Europeen-style modulars.  I've never quite understood that some people felt that this modular or that modular didn't fit in their street because it wasn't typical of what was present on their main street while every modular felt like it could be part of my hometime old main street.  It makes me realize that I live in an area of my country that combines American and Europeen styles (Quebec, Canada).

I also can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dan-147 

On 9-11-2016 at 9:01 AM, LegoSjaak said:

Would this be a nice version and also a possibility to split up the Assembly Square?

30573136600_3f01006415_b.jpg

Yes!
Love this one; bit of tweaking to get rid of some of the repetitiveness, and it could be a winner.
Cheers for that image!

On 11/18/2016 at 5:43 PM, SophieJade2210 said:

The strange thing is that the most "European Looking" of the Modulars. The Parisian Restaurant. Is in truth based on a building in Jamie's New England home town.