Rick

10255 Assembly Square

On 10/18/2016 at 4:50 PM, eliza said:

I continue to be disappointed by the smaller, more cartoonish, Disneyland Main Street look of the modulars that started with the Detective's Office.... but  I guess at this point it's time to come to terms with it. This one in particular looks like a movie studio backlot and.... hmmmm... maybe that's what I should do with it. 

Amazing parts and minifigure pack though. The new parts really expand the possibilities for MOCs. Certainly can't pass that up.

On 10/19/2016 at 4:05 AM, Sammael said:

I've been in several towns in Italy which feature small squares (piazzas) very similar to this one. They are also quite colorful and feel cramped with lots of stuff going on at the same time. 

The one Disney park I visited (Disney World in Orlando) was very different, and had wide streets and quite a lot of space between the buildings. 

Depends on which Disney Main Street you're talking about, but the original Mainstreet USA was modeled after the "Old Town" section of Fort Collins, CO where I used to live (and was the childhood home of one of the Disneyland designers/architects).  I wouldn't call the newer modulars "cartoonish" exactly, but I see what you mean.  To me it's like most of what Lego does; they can't realistically build representations of the real life buildings at proper minifig-to-human scale, so they capture the essence in a smaller proportional size.  I do agree that the earlier modulars felt like a better representation externally since they spent their piece count on the buildings themselves (as display pieces) and left the interiors mostly bare.  Then they shifted to smaller buildings but more interior details which I know some people appreciate (and I find fun to build), but unless you're often taking the floors apart to show people or playing with them, I do think I'd prefer more of a middle ground with some nice detailing in the visible areas but a bit less on the interior to keep the buildings larger overall.  Palace Cinema I thought was a pretty good balance, but that had the virtue of there being one large open space in the middle rather than multiple floors that should be filled with "stuff."  :)

I'm mixed on my feelings about Assembly Square (though I like the pun!) in that it feels too cramped to really pull off the plaza/square thing - at least from what I'm used to in older American towns like Fort Collins - while at the same time having the buildings seem a bit small to really fit well with the rest of the modulars. I sorta wish they had gone with 32x64 instead of 32x48 and used the extra space to just make the plaza area a bit more open without adding much to the overall piece count.

Back to my original comment, just for fun- I think the Poudre Valley Bank building in Fort Collins bears more than a passing resemblance to the Grand Emporium, including the distinctive corner entrance and the detailing at the roof line:

Poudre_Valley_Bank,_Fort_Collins,_Colora

3 hours ago, GregD said:

And how did a minifig get hold of Cafe Corner if this is 1920s/1930!

Doesn't every AFOL have that dream where he or she is a time traveler who can get all the old sets when they were new and get all the future sets before everyone else?

On 10/19/2016 at 5:58 AM, 0tter said:

The only thing that bothers me about this set is that fact that, owing to the 16 stud arrangement on the left, the lamp-posts will no longer be equidistant if this set is placed between two of the existing modulars.  Otherwise I love it.

Maybe we will get another 32 +16 set next year that we can utilise to get the lamp-posts back into formation. :)

Just put the left side on a 32x32. Make the building a little wider and add some space to the square.

I like the inspiration of older sets since I missed out on them. the cafe corner was quite recognizable, also looks like part of the green grocer set with the sand green bricks the bakery is not realy recognizable that I can see, but it looks good. It looks like this set will fit well into a corner of a room. So many useful pieces and new prints! There is a very good variety of minifigures.

The part has a neat fountain build, though less interesting then the exclusive park fountain. The cafe looks good, a piece of pie, the flower shop a little sparse, and the bakery looks decent with lots of treats. I love the little bride and groom on top of the wedding cake. A great touch.

The dentist office is the strongest of the second floor rooms. That old camera is a great idea not liking that the white backdrop shows on the outside though.

The third floor of the cafe with just a grand piano... No third floor for the "green grocer"? the Lego fan apartment Is very detailed. It looks like there is a shelf with the cafe corner, green grocer and maybe market place in the middle??

This is certainly an interesting set and I think I will get it even though I was not expecting something like this. I was hoping for a office type building that I could mod to make a Skyscraper. Oh well.

Yes,  just a double jumper tile,  but we are still getting 2x3 tiles,  just not in that color as far as I 've seen.  So far in black,  yellow and medium blue/ or bright light blue - hard to tell from photos. 

Edited by Sven F

So I'll just let this picture speak. I know there are other recolours, but I didn't expect the flower part in dark green - or is this normal green?

And is the green circled one an existing part? I don't know any part that looks like this (especially the top stud).

10255-007.jpg

I think that's a normal bar with a 1x1 round plate with a hole added upside down to the top of the bar.

Edited by Sammael

Its a road sign base. That part has a top stud that looks exactly like that. If you look at the inventory image someone posted earlier in the thread you can clearly see the set includes 1x road sign base in white.

Edited by jonwil

On 18/10/2016 at 7:50 PM, Matt The Tuba Guy said:

Inventory from the side of the box, perspective corrected so it is easier to see:

drREBq.jpg

Really looking forward to this modular!

Inventory I posted earlier.

The only dark green parts are a 1x1 SNOT brick and a 1x1 plate, so it is a regular green flower. there are light green flowers as well.

the white pole is a road sign base as jonwil said.

8 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Just put the left side on a 32x32. Make the building a little wider and add some space to the square.

I have a second Grand Emporium, so I will add 16 studs worth of it to my existing GE to make up the gap.  That's my plan anyway.

Rick - are you going to open up the other thread for discussion again?  The one that is Modular Rumor and Discussion that you locked when this announcement came out?  Thanks...

25 minutes ago, Herky said:

Rick - are you going to open up the other thread for discussion again?  The one that is Modular Rumor and Discussion that you locked when this announcement came out?  Thanks...

Oops, totally forgot about that one. :blush:

If I don't use technic pins to join them, my modular buildings don't wander away from each other. Under most conditions, they will stay where you place them.

Edited by gotoAndLego

8 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

If I don't use technic pins to join them, my modular buildings don't wander away from each other. Under most conditions, they will stay where you place them. If you switch the baseplates with the aim of separating their placement in your town then the lack of a connection between the side will be a plus.

As long as you can arrange the tiles for the pavement, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Personally I prefer not to use the pins, otherwise it's a pain to adjust the sets or move them to dust.

On 10/21/2016 at 10:10 AM, ScotNick said:

So I'll just let this picture speak. I know there are other recolours, but I didn't expect the flower part in dark green - or is this normal green?

And is the green circled one an existing part? I don't know any part that looks like this (especially the top stud).

*snip*

This piece in black finally!   yes,  i've been needing that in black for a number of things.  Good eye :thumbup:
20482.jpg

I think it would be useful to have one general thread to list, report and discuss new upcoming LEGO elements and recolors of existing pieces which have been spotted on official set images (not leaked)  I tried doing it, but there are just so many now, I don't have time to crop and list them all.  Maybe someone with more motivation and time on their hands.

Edited by Sven F

2 hours ago, woodface68 said:

If the 16 studs-plate were to the left, then there wouldn't be any connection between the buildings.

They're connected by arches (see here)

I have not seen these parts before, what is going on with that brick on the bottom near the door (in light bluegray) the black lower edge ? ALso what are the green rounded stud/balls on the plant. I tried to find on box piece picture but no joy. 

nubitz.jpg

I know there its much or hardly any detail in the back, but I want to see more of the back of the modular.

Edited by BrickFit26

2 hours ago, Adamskii said:

I have not seen these parts before, what is going on with that brick on the bottom near the door (in light bluegray) the black lower edge ? ALso what are the green rounded stud/balls on the plant. I tried to find on box piece picture but no joy. 

For the plant, I think it is this piece http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=22484#T=C Bar 1L with Towball

4 hours ago, Adamskii said:

If you look at the high-res photos, that brick at the bottom is printed. If that was the actual shape it would never be able to connect with the baseplate. 

Thanks for the super review. It reminds of LEGO City Hall of 2007. It was dedicated to 50 years of LEGO bricks. My favourite Creator set is 4954. And which is yours?