Rick

10255 Assembly Square

1 hour ago, BlockLogo said:

The more I look at it, the more I dislike that blue tower thing.

Literally my first thought upon seeing the first picture was how that roof color clashes with the color of the building's facade (...and looking at it again today I'm actually wondering wether that building is Dark Orange or the color of DO (medium dark flesh, dark nougat or whatever it's called).

One thing I really think deserves more accolade about this set is the total absence of useless features that are just there to incorporate unnecessary play features (as was done in DO or BB).
Let's hope they realized those were misplaced and that there are way more than enough ways to add play value without hidden doors and waste-of-space oversized chimneys...

21 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Mod it onto two 32x baseplates so you have some breathing room between the buildings.

this is what I'm planning on doing. Maybe buy two to make the middle building a bit wider...:pir-grin:

6 hours ago, PastVPresent said:

So does the presence of mid 2000's Lego sets in the AFOL apartment answer the age old question of what era are the modulars? No longer early 1900s?  

Surely the computer in the Town Hall would have long since disproven the theory that the modulars uniformly represent a specific era, unless of course that era is the modern day. After all, people don't automatically abandon older buildings just because their architecture or technology is out of date.

It was a great surprise when I saw the news on Brickset earlier today. And a pleasent surprise that is. I really like the Assembly Square a lot. Actually it is the first modular since Parisian Restaurant I just neeeed to have. :wub:

Unlike other EB'ers, I do not mind the smaller size of the buildings. Probably because I prefer town/city styled buildings to the modulars, so it fits my plans better.

As I am already in a Christmas mood, I have already imagined how the square would look with Christmas decorations and snow... :blush:

Overall, I think it is a worthy Jubilee Modular - and really great with all those references to the earlier sets.

How funny, everyone is looking at the new bricks, and the cool design, and my first thought is why is it called Assembly Square when it's on a rectangle base plate……..

I thought they had learnt the lesson about small spaces and big AFOL hands with the barbers the other year, but overall I like the design, looks like it will be another year or two until I get the post office I keep hoping for.

1 hour ago, paul_delahaye said:

How funny, everyone is looking at the new bricks, and the cool design, and my first thought is why is it called Assembly Square when it's on a rectangle base plate……..

I thought they had learnt the lesson about small spaces and big AFOL hands with the barbers the other year, but overall I like the design, looks like it will be another year or two until I get the post office I keep hoping for.

yes, still many a building to go, Post Office, Museum, Hospital, I know a couple years ago we talked bakery for first time, now its here, still need apartments, this gives us one, but more needed, a fully functional building with doorman etc...guess this part of our posts is better for the other thread, but you pointed out something I hadn't though of which was the actual building of it and big hands for small spaces.  I wonder how big Jamie's hands are?  Maybe he is like 5'4" and just not with big hands so he doesn't think of people over 6 foot and their bigger hands?  No idea really but its a real good point.  (sorry EU and others, I am not sure what these measurements would be in the metric system.)

This looks really interesting to me. Especially since I don't have any modular set yet and the price (at least in UKP) is quite favourable. So this might be a point to start with.

I continue to be disappointed by the smaller, more cartoonish, Disneyland Main Street look of the modulars that started with the Detective's Office.... but  I guess at this point it's time to come to terms with it. This one in particular looks like a movie studio backlot and.... hmmmm... maybe that's what I should do with it. 

Amazing parts and minifigure pack though. The new parts really expand the possibilities for MOCs. Certainly can't pass that up.

Personally I'm most excited for the new pieces this set comes with.  I made a quick video on how one of the pieces will solve a building problem.

On 10/17/2016 at 3:45 PM, pittpenguin123 said:

I think it would look better as a spaceship 

Best post in the thread.

I like the modular, lots of great little features throughout.  Not what I was expecting at all, but it works.

2 hours ago, Herky said:

... the actual building of it and big hands for small spaces.  I wonder how big Jamie's hands are?  Maybe he is like 5'4" and just not with big hands so he doesn't think of people over 6 foot and their bigger hands?

One thing to consider is that Jaime likes to put in little details that are best appreciated during the build process, which adds extra fun to the build. Examples include the sidewalk lettering in the Corner Cafe and the mouse hole in the Pet Shop. So the interiors are probably too cramp to play with after the build, they are certainly fun to do during the build. Some may consider these buildings more like models than playsets, most likely due to the lack of a way to view a cross-section of the building.

The Fountain is cool in the center of the Assembly Square, but i think it'll look even better with a nice big luscious tree right in the middle with flowers and plants around it.

Edited by BrickFit26

20 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

One thing to consider is that Jaime likes to put in little details that are best appreciated during the build process, which adds extra fun to the build. Examples include the sidewalk lettering in the Corner Cafe and the mouse hole in the Pet Shop. So the interiors are probably too cramp to play with after the build, they are certainly fun to do during the build. Some may consider these buildings more like models than playsets, most likely due to the lack of a way to view a cross-section of the building.

Good point, and I appreciate that, but when putting in little details and my hands don't fit and I have to build it over 4 times, I get a tad frustrated as I am sure others do, like you say I build them and don't play with them so they are models for me.  The only thing I do is rearrange them on my street every once in a while.  I have a Spider-Man figure that my daughter and I hide and play "where's Spidey" but even that we do on rare occasions, best place to hide him is in the fire truck on the Brigade set or in the back of the limo on the Cinema set.  He is not a Lego minifig though, but he blends in well.

Looks like I might have to MOD it to include parts from set 40221 in the middle. 

Which optimistically reminds me that VIPs might get a relevant/related set as a promo in Jan. 

9 hours ago, Lego Conductor said:

Like this new Modular overall except one thing. Not really fond of the gap between the buildings the Alleyway creates.   Will try to mod that once I get my hands on it.   First thoughts on a mod would to make it two 32x32 baseplates and extend the cafe part by 16 studs.  Not sure how I would go about getting rid of the Alleyway at the moment.

I think the walkway is a good thing to have, if you're building up a modular town with square blocks instead of rectangular ones - you need some sort of access into the dead space in the center of the block, and this set provides that. Otherwise, if you wanted to put some sort of park in that empty space, minifigures would have to go through the buildings to get at it!

I think when I get this I'll be building a 32x16 apartment block to fill the gap that it would add in the lineup...

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Surely the computer in the Town Hall would have long since disproven the theory that the modulars uniformly represent a specific era, unless of course that era is the modern day. After all, people don't automatically abandon older buildings just because their architecture or technology is out of date.

I still think the modulars are meant to be set in the mid twentieth century. We'd see totally different equipment (like cash registers) if they were meant to be set in the present day. I always figured the computer in the Town Hall was the only error they made. The Town Hall and Palace Cinema seem to be the only modulars that Jamie wasn't heavily involved in.

5 hours ago, Herky said:

yes, still many a building to go, Post Office, Museum, Hospital, I know a couple years ago we talked bakery for first time, now its here, still need apartments, this gives us one, but more needed, a fully functional building with doorman etc...

I've been expecting a post office and a police station for ages (they'd offer good opportunities for play value too). Hospital may still be some years after we get a dentists now. Museum might be too boring as a subject. Shops and appartments offer years of material for modular buildings. I guess they run out of fresh ideas for architectural variety before they run out of subject matter. I really hope Jamie stays committed to the modular building line for years to come. :sweet:

41 minutes ago, XAxles said:

Huh. No shady sub-story this time... or so it seems at first glance.

There's the photographer loading up on sweets at the pastry shop and getting a hefty dentist bill later. But I agree, it's not as prominent as it used to be in the previous two modulars. I like these little stories as it adds to the play value, but not when it requires a lot of pieces going towards play features like in the Dective's Office and, especially, the Brick Bank. In that sense, they struck the perfect compromise in the Assembly Square, if you ask me.

The only thing that bothers me about this set is that fact that, owing to the 16 stud arrangement on the left, the lamp-posts will no longer be equidistant if this set is placed between two of the existing modulars.  Otherwise I love it.

Maybe we will get another 32 +16 set next year that we can utilise to get the lamp-posts back into formation. :)

It's funny all people talk about is it's a good parts pack or modding it. Mocs never look as good as original lego models. I'll be leaving mine as intended. 

4 minutes ago, davidmull said:

It's funny all people talk about is it's a good parts pack or modding it. Mocs never look as good as original lego models. I'll be leaving mine as intended. 

That's interesting...

11 hours ago, eliza said:

I continue to be disappointed by the smaller, more cartoonish, Disneyland Main Street look of the modulars that started with the Detective's Office.... but  I guess at this point it's time to come to terms with it. This one in particular looks like a movie studio backlot and.... hmmmm... maybe that's what I should do with it. 

Amazing parts and minifigure pack though. The new parts really expand the possibilities for MOCs. Certainly can't pass that up.

I've been in several towns in Italy which feature small squares (piazzas) very similar to this one. They are also quite colorful and feel cramped with lots of stuff going on at the same time. 

The one Disney park I visited (Disney World in Orlando) was very different, and had wide streets and quite a lot of space between the buildings.