Rick

10255 Assembly Square

5 hours ago, Matt The Tuba Guy said:

New part?

FooO6s.jpg

white x 2

dark bley x 2

Actually, I think the white piece you tried to trace is the new tile piece in the upper left corner of this image:

30274335162_b50c172010_z.jpg

6 hours ago, Matt The Tuba Guy said:

New part?

white x 2

dark bley x 2

Yep! I see it on the cash register in the music shop, and on the sink in the dentist's office.

So does the presence of mid 2000's Lego sets in the AFOL apartment answer the age old question of what era are the modulars? No longer early 1900s?  

I have mixed feelings about this one.  One the one hand, I was wishing for a single large center piece type building.  On the other hand, that probably would have made for a pretty boring and repetitive building experience - even if the end result would have been a grand display piece - like Firehouse HQ or (from what I hear) Town Hall and Grand Emporium.  This set looks like it will be an amazing build with tons of new parts and past usage, like the last 3 modulars have been. 

It also kind of reminds me of a Snaillad MOC, and I mean that in a good way.

I'll buy it, build it, and keep it on display with the rest of them, but as much as I love the modular line, I wouldn't mind if this is the last one in the series with the way it's trending.

Any ideas on the part that's used as the leaves in the sign for the flower shop?

I was dissapointed when I got the first glimpse of the foto on the box. It looked way smaller than I had expected. First thing I thought it seemed a Creator 3-in-1 set, with a small remake of the Cafe Corner.

Half an hour later, when I had more time to look at the pictures, I realised the florist shop was hidden partially behind the bakery on the box foto and the buildings aren't that small at all, compared to the last modulars.

Seeing so much details and colours and so much going on made me very enthusiastic about this set!

TLC called it the "ultimate modular", but it isn't as 'modular' as I had expected, and I don't think this one will catch the eye the most of all modulars. Nevertheless I think the depth will make it even much more appealing in real than on foto!

I will get this one for sure, without a doubt very soon!

Could anyone explain why it is called "Assembly Square"?

Bear in mind this is just eyeballing the images, but there should be no reason why you can't build the cafe on the 16x32 base and the other two buildings on the 32x32 base. I think Lego has theirs done that way because they don't want it to come apart.

5 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

Bear in mind this is just eyeballing the images, but there should be no reason why you can't build the cafe on the 16x32 base and the other two buildings on the 32x32 base. I think Lego has theirs done that way because they don't want it to come apart.

The tile-built pattern next to the cafe would have to be moved or adjusted, and 3 1x6 tiles would have to be replaced with two 1x6 and one 1x4. That-s about it. Of course, we have not yet seen the back of the modular, so there may be something else there.

13 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

totally agree, the only "connection" is the little alleyway between the buildings where the doors seem to be, I'm sure as hell gonna try it in that way

Mixed feelings from my side either.. Nice build for sure and great for persons who started their collection only a few years ago. But If you have (almost) all the modulars so far they start to be too repetitive. It needs something fresh, another look imo. I will buy this one, but hope they re-invent the modular houses in the next years.

Edited by SoloSlim

2 hours ago, PastVPresent said:

So does the presence of mid 2000's Lego sets in the AFOL apartment answer the age old question of what era are the modulars? No longer early 1900s?  

The modular buildings are set within a perpetually-shifting, unstable time warp, as evidenced by the clocks in the bakery, dentist's office, bank, and town hall all showing different times.

6 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

I think Lego has theirs done that way because they don't want it to come apart.

Indeed, it's sturdier with the "crack" in the baseplate under the connected buildings than in between the cafe and the flower shop.

I really expected them to make this one modular in a lot more ways than past modulars (by allowing various configurations of the buildings around the square and even being able to swap floors among buildings).

I really like what they made of it though. The baseplate configuration is very refreshing and breaks up the modular street nicely. I really hope they incorporate more open space in future modulars. The buildings on the sides are lovely and even though they're smaller than the early modulars, they don't look cramped on the inside thanks to their depth.

However, the upper floor of the florist looks both simple and reminds me a bit too much of the Green Grocer. And although I admire Jamie's innovative part uses, the buckets as a roof is a great find, but I would really have preferred a more elegant solution for the roof. I don't like the gaps towards the sides of the roof.

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don't like the gaps towards the sides of the roof.

Yep, and the gap in the middle between the two excavator pieces is even worse.

What bothers me the most at this moment is that it seems the only way to the dentist is through the bakery. To go to the other upper rooms, the minifigs have to pass along the dentist.

Edited by Wesley D

50 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

What bothers me the most at this moment is that it seems the only way to the dentist is through the bakery. To go to the other upper rooms, the minifigs have to pass along the dentist.

It's seems like a good deal for the dentists, where the patients get all loaded up with sweets before their checkup.

11 hours ago, Matt The Tuba Guy said:

New part?

FooO6s.jpg

white x 2

dark bley x 2

Well spotted!

Especially since Jamie showed us "all" the new parts in the clip. 

Here are some other images: 

newslope1.png newslope2.png

Edited by o0ger

Like this new Modular overall except one thing. Not really fond of the gap between the buildings the Alleyway creates.   Will try to mod that once I get my hands on it.   First thoughts on a mod would to make it two 32x32 baseplates and extend the cafe part by 16 studs.  Not sure how I would go about getting rid of the Alleyway at the moment.

23 hours ago, pittpenguin123 said:

I think it would look better as a spaceship 

QYe0Lx5.jpg

This made me laugh at least 4 times.....haha!!! Love this kind of humour....

16 minutes ago, o0ger said:

Well spotted!

Especially since Jamie showed us "all" the new parts in the clip. 

Here are some other images: 

newslope1.png newslope2.png

I'm REALLY hoping this will fix the car roofs odd gapping!!! :)

on on a side note, I really like how the sink is done!

Edited by redtrooper27