Rick

10255 Assembly Square

Oh. Nice!!!

I like the concept very much. It is different bit still fits in really well.

Nice to see the hints to the old modulair.  Can't wait to building it.

7 hours ago, KCF said:

With the addition of sets that are not 32 wide, could this result in some 16 wide sets in the future?   I hope there are some half pet shop buildings. 

I actually hope they'll do another 48 wide modular to "fix" the 16 wide gap.. Not sticking to the standard modular dimensions, except for where they connect to other modulars, offers a lot more possibilities. It does not always need to be a lot more expensive than a 32 wide modular, because they could also utilise it as an open space, like a park, construction site, etc.

Also, the new modular immediately reminded me elements / ideas seen in these MOCs. Inspired by... or great minds think alike...?

Really like the look of this set. Great colours and lots of lovely little details. The U.K. price is a bonus too (if true)

Yes it could have been bigger/better, but you can say that about any of the big ticket AFOL targeted sets. What it does have is lots and lots of mod potential.

Speaking of which, keep those photoshopped mods coming LegoSjaak- love seeing them whenever a new modular comes out. I like the look of the "castle" version most so far :)

How can the UK pricing be lower than than most European countries? It's an anomaly. I also wonder what will be the price like in South East Asia region...

Side note - I think TLG should start quoting at least 1 Asian currency in their press releases if Asia is truly important for them. 

Being one of the lucky ones that started with the modular buildings right from the beginning, I'm really happy with this set and the way the whole series turned out. Sure they where always a little on the expensive side but for me they where always well worth it!

The new set is again one were Jamie takes the modular's to the next level. and combines something from every past modular building. I just hope this isn't the end... although I am running out of room on my top shelf. 3 or 4 more will still fit.

29770887323_704872f83b.jpg

By the way, that's one rich babysitter with a brand new Café Corner under her arm. ?

Edited by (1)Stein

Overall I like it, but I don't love it. I kinda agree with Brick Fanatics' first impressions that it's trying to do too many things at once.

The cafe building is my favorite, I just love those upper floor texture & color combinations. My least favorite is the flower shop building, it looks like a low-cost version of PR (which is my all-time favorite Lego set). Interiors & details are excellent, except that music shop could have used the music theme even further in decorations (gold records on the wall etc).

Edited by temes

For the XL, I'd like to see doubled back-to-back mirrored music store, cafe, bakery so that there's a lot of tall colorful interest, a great inviting facade, and an imposing castle-ish living space over the glassed-in lower.

So...close to what's shown above, but don't mirror the whole set, just 1 building at a time.

Edited by jedijon

I really love this. It's just so good. Though I'm worried over what the price in Norwegian Kroner will be. It's always been a bit more expensive here.

I really like the building to the right. I think I'm gonna try to build my own version of it. 

Inverted corner means connecting pins on two adjacent sides where each pinned side is also the sidewalk side.

That was the rumor-no?

If that is ever pulled off...it would need one heck of a roofline. Can't say I've even seen an MOC tackle that challenge.

I'm missing the whole inverted corner thing--it's angled and I could stretch to call it indented but is this even a corner? It's a 16x32 with pins left and an alley right. Very cool stuff, just leaves me wondering how terms get used and how an inverted corner hype-train gets started. On that note, assembly square feels like a misnomer. I figured, unrealistically in both cases, this could only be an accessory for joining buildings in a scene or the site of some Communist protest diorama.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I really like the density of the features, all the small buisynesses represented, the new parts and the irregular shape. I am just not a really big fan of the buildings themselves.

The tribute to the previous modulars makes it feel a bit to familiar in terms of looks and colors. (the florist shop is the prime example). And for some reason I am not to keen on the upper floors of the bakery. Just feels a bit off. 

Nevertheless, since my modulars never stay assembled for long, a day one purchase for sure! 

O. my. G.O.S.H. :wub_drool:

I really love this set. Maybe not my prefered set ever, but if not, it is surely not far. More than 4000 pieces of pure joy.:wub:

(Too bad if it would have been like the helicarrier just a few pieces under a new thousand :pir-grin: )

The last set for which I have been so overwhelmed must have been the BSB... x) :pir-sweet:

I could even buy this one a few times...:pir-classic:

Asemblingbj.jpgIn general terms, I like the set very much. And I agree with Rick, I also see resemblances from the MOCs he posted earlier.

My least favorite thing it's that sand green on the Flower Shop building, it feels kinda sad to me mixed with the black on the window frames. A switch to a sand blue, IMHO, makes it looks better, and also blends better with the rest of the buildings. A friends light yellow could also work.

Something like this. Asembling2.jpg

Edited by Gongoro73

Very nice modular set, the largest we got to date. It will fit perfectly with the Parisian Restaurant, the Detective Office and the Brick Bank. I am happy it is a higher build with lot of details on the façades, but i wonder if the building on the left is not too colorful?

I love the details inside the buildings:
- the design of the photographer's camera and the dentist chair are awesome
- the background of the studio is a smart thing
- the girl's apartment is a lovely AFOL living place
- the other spaces are nicely done too, but to me, the music rooms are less interesting

We get a lot of what we were hopping for:
Dentist, florist, bakery... and as a photographer, the photography studio is a nice surprise!

I am quite disappointed because we will not be able to separate the buildings and there will be an issue with 32x32 roadplates. Three 16x32 was expected for this kind of thing, or a 32x32 baseplate + another 16x32.
Maybe Lego wants to prevent people from solding this anniversary set in different parts on the second market.

I hope it is not the end of the modular line after this set ;) 

There is very good reason that there is a 32x32 base plate, the photo studio is linked to the exterior stair case via the dentist office.

Timing is perfect releasing details today of this awesome set as I'm about to start work on a new modular MOC a.s.a.p.

40 minutes ago, sebitsena said:

Very nice modular set, the largest we got to date. It will fit perfectly with the Parisian Restaurant, the Detective Office and the Brick Bank. I am happy it is a higher build with lot of details on the façades, but i wonder if the building on the left is not too colorful?

I love the details inside the buildings:
- the design of the photographer's camera and the dentist chair are awesome
- the background of the studio is a smart thing
- the girl's apartment is a lovely AFOL living place
- the other spaces are nicely done too, but to me, the music rooms are less interesting

We get a lot of what we were hopping for:
Dentist, florist, bakery... and as a photographer, the photography studio is a nice surprise!

I am quite disappointed because we will not be able to separate the buildings and there will be an issue with 32x32 roadplates. Three 16x32 was expected for this kind of thing, or a 32x32 baseplate + another 16x32.
Maybe Lego wants to prevent people from solding this anniversary set in different parts on the second market.

I hope it is not the end of the modular line after this set ;) 

You could easily build the left building on the green 16x32 plate and the rest on the 32x32 green baseplate that goes also with this set.. The seem of the 32x32 and 16x32 baseplate can be seen just at the right of the pram.

The left streetlight stands just on the 32x32 baseplat then.. so you can separate the left building from the rest!

I love this new modular, it has a very "old European downtown" feeling to it - think of a city like Prague or Budapest, or an old German or Italian town center. Here's how I envision this to be set up in my LEGO town:

Screenshot from 2016-10-18 08-54-04.png

Basically, Create a 64x48 base and turn the pavements into a pedestrian-only zone. The 10243 and 10218 have their fronts face the 10255. Nice cozy little "piazza" flanked by shops, restaurants etc. (the Pet Shop half would be the namesake Pet Shop, not the apartment). And if the PR and the flowershop are too much alike, I'd either switch out the brick color on 10255's flower shop, or replace PR with Brick Bank.

Edited by Phil B

2 hours ago, sebitsena said:

I am quite disappointed because we will not be able to separate the buildings and there will be an issue with 32x32 roadplates.

Regarding the roadplate issue, you could:

• Add a 32x16 plate to one side.
    The 32x16 plate could be a new mini-park (use those Fun In The Park pieces), one of the Petshop buildings, or a side-market like the one used in Market Street.
  • Buy TWO Assembly Square sets and add it to the existing. There are some great mockups of this in the thread.
  • If you have the Ghostbuster HQ, which also is made of 32x32 + 32x16, just place it SIDEWAYS on the street so the main door faces to the right or left instead of towards you.