Rick

10255 Assembly Square

just lost my mind and sold one of my holy grails in music memorobilia to buy this beast...

jan 1st cant come fast enough!!

can i hope for a special 2x VIP release date? is it impossible?

Oh, boy, took me a while to notice that the florist shop roof is made with two excavator buckets. Also love the Thor hammers near the roof. So much smart piece usage!

I like this set a lot. It's really good.

One of my only concerns is how it deviates from the Modular Standard, which I'm fine with, except that this was the last modular needed to complete an entire block, if you follow the pattern set by corners and relocate Market Street to the opposite side of Cafe Corner, but now it won't fit. That bothers me. They were so close, and I was looking forward to seeing complete blocks once this came out, but now you'd have to remove half of the Pet Shop to fit this in somewhere.

It's a great set though.

I'm excited for this, although it's very expensive. Eh, my wallet can quit complaining.

47 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

I like this set a lot. It's really good.

One of my only concerns is how it deviates from the Modular Standard, which I'm fine with, except that this was the last modular needed to complete an entire block, if you follow the pattern set by corners and relocate Market Street to the opposite side of Cafe Corner, but now it won't fit. That bothers me. They were so close, and I was looking forward to seeing complete blocks once this came out, but now you'd have to remove half of the Pet Shop to fit this in somewhere.

It's a great set though.

With the addition of sets that are not 32 wide, could this result in some 16 wide sets in the future?   I hope there are some half pet shop buildings. 

Will be interesting to see what is in the future now that Lego is not limiting themselves to standard dimensions 

Appears amazing...but at  US $279.99 - CA $329.99 - DE 239.99€ - UK £169.99 ...I think it best for this canadian soul to purchase a flight to London and purchase it there...so much cheaper...

I like it. As others have mentioned, I would have liked the café to be on a separable 16 x 32 plate to allow for different configurations. But, that should be a relatively easy MOD.

I'm glad that it doesn't appear to have too many "play / action features" and not too much dedication to a "storyline" (although bakery (sweets) / dentist is an obvious one).

There is a LOT involved in the set, but with the larger baseplate, I expect it to look better (i.e. less cluttered) in person than it does in the pictures.

IF all future Modulars are going to combine two or more businesses / buildings (like Detective's Office, Brick Bank and Assembly Square), then I hope they consider doing them more like the Pet Shop (and Townhouse) instead of permanently affixing them together to provide more display options.

This. This is insane.

Exactly what I was hoping for. The price is great for 4002 pieces, but I don't know if I'll be able to fit it in my budget after buying the entire Nexo Knights range and a few other bits.

My favorite building has to the the one on the right. So much personality, especially on the ground floor.

Thanks Jamie for another great design!

Side note: I seriously hope this isn't the end of the modular line, because I think it could be.

32 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Side note: I seriously hope this isn't the end of the modular line, because I think it could be.

I doubt it'd be. Modulars have been such a huge success, it would be foolish to stop releasing them. Plus, there's still plenty of buildings they could design, so it's certain that source material isn't anything they're lacking.

Another good looking set, even though I also have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed on first sight. The building techniques and little details make up for that though. The buildings itself are nice, even though I am not totally in love with the building on the right. Furthermore the buildings are quite small again, but we are already used to that.

I am hyped for some of the new parts however, especially the SNOT corner piece, which could have helped me in various situations already where I had to sacrifice detail in order to make it work otherwise. The new tiles are cool as well.

The colors of the press release photos are again quite annoying, since it's almost impossible to distinguish between Medium Dark Flesh and Dark Orange, which leaves some open quetions, like whether that is a MDF or DO 1x1 tile in the parts selection (I assume MDF) or whether the oven within the bakery is MDF or DO (I assume MDF, because otherwise we'd get DO 1x2 Masonry Bricks which would definitely been mentioned separately.)

The references to previous modulars are cool, but LEGO really should have added a bunch of 1x2 Bricks with Groove in Sand Green, just to be nice. ;-)

It reminds me of some Arkham City dilapidated square when there are no figures and if you would remove some of the pieces. It just looks a bit messy. :/

That said, the designs of the buildings are good and I love that the bakery is the plug/source of the illegal cookies, it's just the colors of the model are throwing me off. 

Looking at the images again, it seems the sand blue wall uses normal 1x2 bricks and not the grooved ones. If that's true, we finally get a new supply of those!

This looks great! Is it just me, or does the dentist look like Director Krennic? :tongue: Retirement plan after the Death Star plans got stolen, perhaps?

All those new elements look fantastic. Can't wait to see what MOCists do with them.

Hi all, as much as I understand the 10th anniversary throwbacks, for those of us fortunate/old enough/completest to have all the modulars, what do we do with the cafe that looks sooooo similar? I appreciate this is a much better idea than a straight out rerelease of CC, but a city block with 2 cafes, that were designed to look like each other? Bit of a miss.

Apart from that small gripe, I really like this set. The depth modulars like DO and this one give a cityscape is welcomed.

As it was the modulars (GG specifically) that woke me from my dark age, building the modular each year is something I look forward to a ton. Learning  new techniques, new rare elements/colours, and rearranging my city to best suit. Good times.

5 hours ago, wooootles said:

I'm excited about that diagonal door frame.  If there was only sane/easy way to come up with 200+ of those... (TLG hurry up and put these things in your next Police Station/$40 CREATOR building set)

If TLG does what it has done in the past, you should be able to get the door frame from Bricks & Pieces in quantity.

All the neat pieces from the Brick Bank are currently showing up as available through Bricks and Pieces for example (2 x 4 printed prize tile, printed stained glass window piece, printed laundromat window piece, unprinted Nexo Knights shield, black ornamental fence, sand green windows, sand green curved window tops, printed bank manager portrait, grey "gold bar" piece, the funky brick with the 4 studs on the side and most of the other interesting pieces).

Same is true for the Detective's Office with most of the neat pieces currently available (wanted poster tile, black paint roller, dartboard tile, highlander printed window piece, ace brickman printed window piece, unikitty tail, the doors/1x2 plates/1x2 bricks in the light royal blue color and those fist pieces)

I expect all the neat pieces from the Assembly Square will show up on Bricks & Pieces eventually (including probably everything on that clear baseplate in the designer video)

Love how Jamie paid homage to all the past modular. Very well done. My only critique would be that at first glance i thought the 3 buildings where on 3 16X32 base plates. It would have been cool to have them on 3 16X32 plates so you can rearrange them in any order you want with other modulars. Overall, Im impressed, and I so want it now.

P.S. I also noted the Uk price when compared to the American price when you factor the exchange rates. Im jealous. :tongue:

7 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

My only critique would be that at first glance i thought the 3 buildings where on 3 16X32 base plates.

I thought the same. Well, I thought the café and bakery were on 16 x 32 plates and that the florist and fountain / plaza were each on 8 x 32 plates. I thought it would introduce an expanded "Modular" feature in terms of the display options.

I don't have a link or a picture, but I finally realized what this modular made me think of, in Kansas City on the Plaza, in front of the Buca di Beppo you have almost this same type of square...there is a fountain in the middle surrounded by shops.  It isn't the same exact building shapes, etc, but it is close enough that if you have been there and have seen it, it should remind you of that little area.  It is in the middle of a block though which is one big difference.  I am guessing there are other places that are similar in nature, but that is one that comes to mind for me.  Still seeing new details as I looked at the pictures again.

26 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

I thought the same. Well, I thought the café and bakery were on 16 x 32 plates and that the florist and fountain / plaza were each on 8 x 32 plates. I thought it would introduce an expanded "Modular" feature in terms of the display options.

Yea, on the Modular forum it was being talked about it being like the PS and that the halves would be able to be rearranged with other modulars.

2 hours ago, Bricksynergy said:

Hi all, as much as I understand the 10th anniversary throwbacks, for those of us fortunate/old enough/completest to have all the modulars, what do we do with the cafe that looks sooooo similar? I appreciate this is a much better idea than a straight out rerelease of CC, but a city block with 2 cafes, that were designed to look like each other? Bit of a miss.

You could always pretend that they're a chain! I've seen two Starbucks stores within a city block or two of each other. :wink:

I don't have a link or a picture, but I finally realized what this modular made me think of, in Kansas City on the Plaza, in front of the Buca di Beppo you have almost this same type of square...there is a fountain in the middle surrounded by shops.  It isn't the same exact building shapes, etc, but it is close enough that if you have been there and have seen it, it should remind you of that little area. 

That's it! I knew it looked familiar. I used to have family in Kansas City (in fact, that's where I was born)--that's the square with the Neptune fountain, right? It definitely bears some resemblance. As you mention, the Lego buildings are less Mediterranean, but the feel is similar. That's cool!

It has so much potential for modding, as if this set is intended to be just like that so that you will want another set to make the buildings look more awesome.

Good that I am not crazy about modulars... But if I am, this will be a day 1 purchase.

9 hours ago, Gongoro73 said:

You are gonna need a bigger square, @Legosjaak.

Haha...oh yes, it needs to be bigger, as i will also MOD this one into an XL-version, but that is okay for me!! A set like the Assembly Square is very welcome! It adds color again and nice possibilities with arranging!!!

3 hours ago, Bricksynergy said:

Apart from that small gripe, I really like this set. The depth modulars like DO and this one give a cityscape is welcomed.

As it was the modulars (GG specifically) that woke me from my dark age, building the modular each year is something I look forward to a ton. Learning  new techniques, new rare elements/colours, and rearranging my city to best suit. Good times.

Just change the color of the white/yellow awning and no-one will notice, when you have them all in one layout!