On 10/15/2016 at 8:34 PM, aeh5040 said:

Very strange.  Can it be real?

Hard to believe, but it does appear to bear the signs of being legit.

Would anyone really buy this, I wonder?  If so, for what price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-10-000-LB-4-535-9-KG-of-TECHNIC-MINDSTORMS-Bulk-Lot-Pound-Brick-Piece-Part-/262495928546

Please note: I have no connection with this seller - I am not advertising.  I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

I can attest that this is legitimate. Though, from my perspective, looks like the listing may not be correct. I'm not associated with the seller, but I do know him. I have personally bought directly from The Brick Bank, though those were the smaller batches of a few pounds of specific colors. Those are usually around $15/pound, which makes me think this is a typo on this listing.

His website is: http://thebrickbank.com/ - I also live near him. On his website, he details out about how to get Free Lego through him, but you need to live near Atlanta, GA, USA. I have also participated in this personally.

Edited by Ohnoto

I live in Georgia and I sort for this seller. I typically sort 80 lbs of bricks at a time. I am just one member of a team of sorters. He deals in very large volume and this offer is a real offer. I have had nothing but positive interactions with this seller.

1 hour ago, Falconer18 said:

I live in Georgia and I sort for this seller. I typically sort 80 lbs of bricks at a time. I am just one member of a team of sorters. He deals in very large volume and this offer is a real offer. I have had nothing but positive interactions with this seller.

were you sponsored to say that?

I live near this seller, and asked him about this a while back.  From my understanding, the goal of this auction is to draw traffic into his other auctions.  Notice that there is a ~7-week lead time for delivery on this, for which he logistically has a plan to follow through and still profit off the $100 a lb price.  I imagine the chance of someone pulling the trigger on this is as close to zero as you can get, but it seems to pull traffic to his other auctions.

I am not sponsored by this seller, but have bought quite a bit from him, and appreciate his business.

3 hours ago, letsbuild said:

were you sponsored to say that?

Absolutely not. I can understand that you might wonder because this is my first post here. I mostly just lurk and admire people's MOCs. I am a member of the Atlanta AFOL (DixieLUG) and I post on the Facebook Modular Buildings Group. If you ask around the Atlanta LUG you'll find that many of us have a positive relationship with the seller. Working with him I was able to re-brick the Corner Cafe modular building which is too expensive for me to purchase at the current price. I've also been able to gather enough dark green, dark blue and dark red to build a few MOC of buildings inspired by San Juan, Puerto Rico (which I posted on FB Modular Group).

I was talking with him a few months ago and he told me about his idea to offer a $1 million Ebay lot. He is quite serious about it and walked me through the logistics of filling such a large order in the event someone goes for it. This guy is a business man and he thought it would be interesting to offer something epic.

I get the impression from the sellers website on the page called "free lego" that he encourages AFOLs to sort huge bulk lots for him under the arrangement that they get to keep 10% of the stuff they sort. 

That's not exactly sponsorship or dodgy action for Falconer to say that he's been associated with this seller and that everything seems legitimate.

I agree.  Turning out to be more a valid enterprise than initially thought.  Although.... for what it is worth the actual ebay post of the 4-5 tons of LEGO at one million dollars does appear like a misprint, or attempt at advertising, fanfare, etc.  THAT part at least, does not appear to be 100% accurate although the seller actually sounds more and more to be real. 

Personally, I do not live in Georgia, but I do live in the continental US. More and more tempted to go out there to just look at this guy's stuff and perhaps sort some LEGO :blush:

2 hours ago, bonox said:

I get the impression from the sellers website on the page called "free lego" that he encourages AFOLs to sort huge bulk lots for him under the arrangement that they get to keep 10% of the stuff they sort. 

That's not exactly sponsorship or dodgy action for Falconer to say that he's been associated with this seller and that everything seems legitimate.

I just felt like people should know it isn't a scam. It's doubtful that anyone will every spend $1 million US to place such an order. 

The sorting has been a nice way to selectively acquire certain pieces. Some of the sorters want particular shapes (car parts/Technic/doors and windows) or particular colors (that's me). I'm a teacher so I don't sort much when classes are in session but it's something I do during breaks in classes. If you have OCD like me it's actually enjoyable to have them all sorted by color :)

Well, it worked, here I am looking at his other listings!

I'd love to sort and keep some. I already kind of do this with large ebay auctions, keep what I want and sell the rest. Its brilliant really, outsourcing it like that. Good for him.

Edited by Criosphynx

One aspect we might have overlooked ... Doesn't eBay charge a 'listing' fee proportional to the 'Buy It Now' Price ?

Though, for a publicity/advertisement stunt, that's a rather expensive one.  

... unless the seller put few extra zeros, inadvertently.

Edited by DrJB

DrJB: High volume sellers have much different pricing conditions than a person just sells a few things here and there. For example: if your business model is selling on Ebay you can qualify for lower listing fees.

11 hours ago, Falconer18 said:

DrJB: High volume sellers have much different pricing conditions than a person just sells a few things here and there. For example: if your business model is selling on Ebay you can qualify for lower listing fees.

According to ebay listing calculator that listing would cost $750.