Very strange.  Can it be real?

Hard to believe, but it does appear to bear the signs of being legit.

Would anyone really buy this, I wonder?  If so, for what price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-10-000-LB-4-535-9-KG-of-TECHNIC-MINDSTORMS-Bulk-Lot-Pound-Brick-Piece-Part-/262495928546

Please note: I have no connection with this seller - I am not advertising.  I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

I think he would get more earnings by selling everything individually and would be easier to sell than a bunch of 4 tonnes at 1 million, maybe at Bricklink, or directly to the buyer, but oh my God, 4 tonnes of Lego, that would make my collection better (which is only like 15KG of parts :laugh:)

I noticed that all of the photos are "stock photos, not real item." I find that quite suspicious.

On top of that, why? Why would the seller sell 1000000$ worth of lego all at once?

Edited by letsbuild
Adding information

My dad and I were discussing this, and we think that it's a shipping container full of parts, or sets, that was left in a depot and salvaged. However, I don't really buy it. Lego would not ship assorted parts in this quanity, and what are the odds of a random Lego seller on Ebay finding this? Also, stock photos of an item you want a million bucks for? Really? Are these people out of their mind?

I really think this is fake, because there are no pictures, and because all the numbers, (price, weight) are way too high. I highly doubt that this is real.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Perhaps it is in effect an adverising tactic.  The seller does seem to sell bulk lego by weight in more conventional quantities.  A listing like this gets peoples's attention, then they look at the seller's other listings, I guess.

2 minutes ago, MAB said:

$100 a pound? No chance.

True.
The rule is more or less 10€ / kg for a random bunch of parts.

4500 kg is not worth more than 45000€ (50K$), at best. Very, very far from the 1M he asks...

It does have make an offer. Be interesting to know if 50 grand is considered lowballing

$1m is ridiculous for 10,000lbs of LEGO. I highly doubt this is serious. If you really wanted $1m worth of TECHNIC, there are far cheaper ways to do it, and at least with these you know exactly what you're getting:

• 3,571 Bucket Wheel Excavators
  • 3,333 Porsche 911 GT3 RSs

And both of these sets contain well over 3lbs of LEGO. Plus the first option gives you 3,571 XL motors, 3,571 battery boxes, and both give you tons of clutch parts. If this offer is real, I bet it's going to be mostly basic parts with no motors or rare parts.

7 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I really think this is fake, because there are no pictures, and because all the numbers, (price, weight) are way too high. I highly doubt that this is real.

At first was inclined to agree, it has all the signs of being fake but the seller has been an eBay seller for a long while and they do have 100% feedback spanning years. If the seller does have what they say they have they're probably asking the stupidly high price to get people talking about it, an advertising gimmick to get people to their store.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

10 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I noticed that all of the photos are "stock photos, not real item." I find that quite suspicious.

On top of that, why? Why would the seller sell 1000000$ worth of lego all at once?

I also thought the stock photos were suspicious but then again I would like to know how this individual is storing them if it is for real.  Surely not just a lump of legos.  At four tons (again if for real) those on the bottom would likely be heavily damaged from the compression weight. 

Four tons of Lego would be an astronomical amount.  In considering the validity of this ad, one has to ask how one could accumulate such an amount.  This would be more Lego Technic than even Blakbird (probably).  I wonder what that amount would even look like.-------10 seconds later--------- About 1900 8070's (supercars) to be exact. 

My money is that it is fake.  Odd thought, like grum64 pointed out..... that he/she has good feedback rating

Forget about the price could you imagine the shipping cost on sending 4+ Tonnes on lego?

You would need pay for a container to get all those parts (yes, i will be pretty expensive), but if i could get them, i would be the happiest man in the world.

even if someone wanted to buy this, I doubt ebay would let it go through... 

3 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

Lucky for me it's free shipping in the US only!:grin:.

Uhm - no. "Ships to: Worldwide"

However, back-of-envelope calculation shows that:

Dimensions of "Lego 42009 mobile crane" are 22.9 x 18.9 x 3.6 inches, and weight is 8.6 pounds. Assuming that those ~4500kg have about same density, it takes about 35m^3. Volume of common shipping container is 39m^3. This thing is huge.

Same amount of those cranes will cost about $350K which is about x3 cheaper, and it's for new stuff.

Conclusion - 100% fake. Or advertising. Or something.

don't the published weights for sets include the instructions? And the boxes? Some of which are quite heavy. The weight (edit)  density of straight lego bits would probably be 30% or more higher without the paper and packaging.

The 42009 set shows 4.2kg but the sum of the parts is 2.5kg, the instructions 0.85kg and the box 0.775kg.

oh, and much of the typical box is empty. There's still a lot of empty space that would disappear with bulk drums of the stuff but yes, still a significant volume.

Edited by bonox
wrong word

32 minutes ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Until you start sorting it)

And i also would need a place to store those parts :laugh:, maybe i would put all those parts into boxes... which would be made of Lego parts too :grin:.

Edited by ImanolBB

14 hours ago, bonox said:

don't the published weights for sets include the instructions? And the boxes? Some of which are quite heavy. The weight (edit)  density of straight lego bits would probably be 30% or more higher without the paper and packaging.

The 42009 set shows 4.2kg but the sum of the parts is 2.5kg, the instructions 0.85kg and the box 0.775kg.

Yes, all this is correct.

Actually, it means 1) my volume estimate is correct, it's container-sized and 2) my price estimate is off by only x1.5.

Very big, too expensive - fake.

On 10/16/2016 at 4:31 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Four tons of Lego would be an astronomical amount.  In considering the validity of this ad, one has to ask how one could accumulate such an amount.  This would be more Lego Technic than even Blakbird (probably). 

I probably have about a million parts.  I don't know about weight, but it certainly isn't worth anywhere near $1M even if you look at the collectible value of every set.  As bulk it would be worth much less.

Certainly does make me curious though.  I'd love to see a real picture of what this bulk lot looks like.

Anyone in the USA state of Georgia can check it out?   I wonder if eBay will offer refund if item received doesn't match description. 

if it is too good to be true...then it probably is.