Borex

Compatible Minifigures Discussion.

On 10/17/2016 at 7:58 PM, Robianco said:

The thing about the previous thread was that when information about new figures was posted there was almost always someone to point out where the figure may have come from design-wise. Buying bootlegs actually made me move more into buying custom figures on genuine Lego parts. Expensive decision.

Darth Nihilus is a clone of Christo's custom figure by the look of it but it's also been done previously by the likes of Penzore. The body looks very close to Palpatine's but I think there are various other genuine torsos that can be used including the Nazgul. As long as they give a decent head print then that's a potentially very good figure.

I've long argued that bootlegs were like a "gateway" product to the real thing (not the other way around) -- which is something that isn't a naturally intuitive conclusion (i.e. the instinctive thought is bootlegs would cannibalize TLG's marketshare). Although we will never have "official" stats, I'd bet that far more consumers of bootleg products end up patronizing the real deal rather than TLG customers abandoning the genuine article for bootlegs. In other words, the total NET new costumers for TLG would be a positive number, and by a wide margin.

Edited by agoodfella77

23 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

Are we allowed to post links to re-sellers / distributors (i.e. Alixxxxxx?)

I think it would be safer not to, personally. I think someone mentioned previously that if a figure was to appear in a set that had other figures that were clones of Lego products then it's probably best not to link to that.

Just now, agoodfella77 said:

I've long argued that bootlegs were like a "gateway" product to the real thing, and not the other way around -- something that would be the naturally intuitive conclusion (i.e. that bootlegs cannibalize TLG marketshare). Although we will never have "official" stats, I'd bet that far more consumers of bootleg products end up patronizing the real deal rather than TLG customers abandoning the genuine article for bootlegs. 

I agree. I think this thread, even in discussing non-cloned product, will still get more than it's fair share of people commenting negatively. It's now started that all customs are evil due to IP infringement. Not that the subject has ever been raised in the Customisation Forum... just here. I've decided to completely blank such comments as I'm viewing them as nothing more than trolling the thread.

14681827_1790774367859691_19856684905861[/Img]

They look good. I do not need really these, but i'll probably buy them anyways lol. So much spideys

37 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I think it would be safer not to, personally. I think someone mentioned previously that if a figure was to appear in a set that had other figures that were clones of Lego products then it's probably best not to link to that.

I agree. I think this thread, even in discussing non-cloned product, will still get more than it's fair share of people commenting negatively. It's now started that all customs are evil due to IP infringement. Not that the subject has ever been raised in the Customisation Forum... just here. I've decided to completely blank such comments as I'm viewing them as nothing more than trolling the thread.

Call me a cynic, but I bet you that the old bootleg thread by itself drove a very decent percentage of site traffic (if not the outright leader at times) and the decision to summarily shutdown the thread without warning had a meaningful impact to the site's traffic.

Perhaps that's the olive branch we are enjoying now. It's only anecdotal evidence, but I came to the Bootleg thread primarily (even if it was to browse and see what was the latest and greatest) and then if I had more time I would go into the Licensed Marvel threads. Once the bootleg thread was shutdown I rarely had a thought of coming back. Frankly, if it wasn't a top 3 link I visited throughout the past couple of years, it's definitely in the top 5 I would say. And judging by the number of people who reached out to me via EB, Flickr, etc. there are a TON of lurkers out there even if we don't feel / see their presence.

Edited by agoodfella77

*Takes a deep breath in* 

Ahhhh... good to be back!  I've been like a junkie without a fix for the past few days.

Totally agree we should have a backup plan in case the winds shift here again.  Is  /r/bootlego the consensus?

26 minutes ago, Borex said:

14681827_1790774367859691_19856684905861[/Img]

They look good. I do not need really these, but i'll probably buy them anyways lol. So much spideys

Man they look awesome!! Although not sure why Spiderman India has yellow webbing.

Just now, MNW said:

Man they look awesome!! Although not sure why Spiderman India has yellow webbing.

These are a copy of Leyilebricks customs in case anyone was wondering....

47 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

I've long argued that bootlegs were like a "gateway" product to the real thing (not the other way around) -- which is something that isn't a naturally intuitive conclusion (i.e. the instinctive thought is bootlegs would cannibalize TLG's marketshare). Although we will never have "official" stats, I'd bet that far more consumers of bootleg products end up patronizing the real deal rather than TLG customers abandoning the genuine article for bootlegs. In other words, the total NET new costumers for TLG would be a positive number, and by a wide margin.

I'm proof of this. I grew up with LEGOs, but haven't touched them since middle school. I'm in my late 30s now. I stumbled on a treasure trove of Iron Man customs/bootlegs/whatever accidentally one day. I was shocked at the price for a pack of 8, and thought I would collect a bunch and possibly make a hall of armor at some point. Then I saw a number of other Marvel customs, and decided to collect a few more Marvel characters. Next thing I know, I've got pretty much every Marvel bootleg/custom. After that, I started catching up on the official minifigs through retail stores or Bricklink. Once I was caught up on that, I started purchasing (non-bootleg) custom minifigs, and then moved on to making MOC Marvel minifigs based on leftover pieces and Bricklink orders. As of last count, I'm well over 300 minifigs. Here's my current collection. I never would have spent any money on official LEGO if not for the bootlegs. There's no way to know if I'm the exception or the rule, but bootlegs brought me back to LEGO after about 25 years.

Edited by adalric

10 hours ago, rmorales629 said:

Let's get the ball rolling. Don't forget about the "custom" molded ones. hehehe. Here are mine.

Think big. 

Let's get the ball rolling. Don't forget about the "custom" molded ones. hehehe. Here are mine.

Think big.

test link from my flicker to see if it shows up better. can't believe you can only upload .02mb in this day and age. hehe

These are pretty awesome.  I wish that Lego or even bootleggers would do these types of characters with those giant minifig clocks, or whichever verrsion of the minifig you used.  I wouldn't even care if there was a big clock display on them, i'd still buy them.  Unfortunately though they just stick with the core characters who have no justifiable reason for being huge.

16 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

Call me a cynic, but I bet you that the old bootleg thread by itself drove a very decent percentage of site traffic (if not the outright leader at times) and the decision to summarily shutdown the thread without warning had a meaningful impact to the site's traffic.

Perhaps that's the olive branch we are enjoying now. It's only anecdotal evidence, but I came to the Bootleg thread primarily (even if it was to browse and see what was the latest and greatest) and then if I had more time I would go into the Licensed Marvel threads. Once the bootleg thread was shutdown I rarely had a thought of coming back. Frankly, if it wasn't a top 3 link I visited throughout the past couple of years, it's definitely in the top 5 I would say. And judging by the number of people who reached out to me via EB, Flickr, etc. there are a TON of lurkers out there even if we don't feel / see their presence.

I think it was definitely leading in the community section of the boards, but I can't speak for the rest of the site since I'm never really there.

24 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

It's only anecdotal evidence, but I came to the Bootleg thread primarily (even if it was to browse and see what was the latest and greatest) and then if I had more time I would go into the Licensed Marvel threads. Once the bootleg thread was shutdown I rarely had a thought of coming back.

Same for me, as well. 95% of my visits to this site were to the bootleg thread. I occasionally checked the purist custom thread for inspiration, but that was it. If I looked for official announcements and/or leaks, it was easier to find them elsewhere than scores of pages of discussion about something that I ended up missing anyway.

1 minute ago, pittpenguin123 said:

So whats EB stance on KO that dont infringe lego's desgins like the bokomon pokecenter 

As long as it doesn't copy an official Lego set/Figure it is okay.

In the older days it may have been more of a problem, but with the recent XINH and POGO push for designs that aren't TLG it shouldn't be too hard. 

48 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

These are a copy of Leyilebricks customs in case anyone was wondering....

Wicked, thank you for the info. :) looks like they have copied quite a number of those customs!

21 minutes ago, MNW said:

Wicked, thank you for the info. :) looks like they have copied quite a number of those customs!

It's quite ironic when you think about it given that Leyilebricks is from China -- as Rusty Cohle would say, "time is a flat circle, woah"

40 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

It's quite ironic when you think about it given that Leyilebricks is from China -- as Rusty Cohle would say, "time is a flat circle, woah"

Hahah :-D I like the quote! And that also makes sense as to why this Chinese ebay stockist of different parts often has those figures http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=e.c.ferras&_pgn=3&_skc=100&rt=nc

14 minutes ago, wickedlemon said:

Some new mechs, this time with some new figures. That looks like an Onlinesailin Batman. Definitely no TLG designs.

663AbOq.jpg

Anyone know what Mark that Grey Iron Man might be?

13 minutes ago, agoodfella77 said:

Anyone know what Mark that Grey Iron Man might be?

My guess is the light gray V shape on the chest and the abs decoration suggest the Mark XIV.

I agree. Looks like XIV is the closest although I think a lot of these are becoming 'Mk Make it up as you go along'.

Is that Wolverine the Chrome Claw figure without the helmet and shoulder armour? And do we know is Kopf are DLP?

15 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Is that Wolverine the Chrome Claw figure without the helmet and shoulder armour? And do we know is Kopf are DLP?

Kopf are any brand given a different name, they have taken from Decool, SY, Xinh at different times.

And the Wolverine seems to be a new one, as he has SY incorrect shaped helmet, whilst the Pogo one has correct shaped helmet.