DarthTwoShedsJackson

[MOC] Rebel U-wing from Rogue One

I'm currently busy collecting minifigure parts for and assembling lots of new, original Star Wars characters for a slightly fanboyish and ambitioned continuation of a certain story, leading into new stories around favored characters and lots of new ones. We'll see where this will go, if anywhere...

In the meantime, I assembled a new MOC of the Rebel U-wing featured in Rogue One. I like this ship because it presents a new, sturdy and easily recognizable shape among the already established rebel ships, and because I love the idea of a troop-transport with hyperspace capability, as befits the tactics employed by the rebels. I went for stability and sturdyness - as I like to do - and getting the shapes and proportions right. A sleek appearance also was a main goal, so as to underline the straight, sharp lines defining the design of this craft. I hope you like it:

U-wing001.jpg

U-wing002.jpg

U-wing003.jpg

U-wing004.jpg

The cockpit section can be removed to access the pilot seat and the (smallish) troop compartment:

U-wing005.jpg

The wings fold back and line up perfectly with the back section of the fuselage to which the engines are attached, leaving no gap in flight mode. When in flight mode, the wings snap into place via a ball joint-connection similar to the official set. When in landing mode, the inner side of each wing is firmly attached to the side of the front part of the fuselage via two studs:

U-wing006.jpg

The doors to each side of the troop compartment slide open and close without leaving gaps:

U-wing007.jpg

Enjoy, comment, nitpick, or just leave a reply. :classic:

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

I love this ship design. Because of the movable wings it reminds me of the F-14 Tomcat ;)
Great rendition of this new transport ! Accuracy and sturdyness is all I'm looking for building my new collection ;) Would love to get an LDD file of your model ! :)

Ramses25

I like how it looks like the official set, but smoother and more cleaned up visually. It really helps convey the sense this is a tough vessel, which could swallow a few TIE fighter shots, and spit it out again at the enemy! :) Very well done.

I love this! I hope I can do something similar with my weak talents.  In your opinion, do you think there would be a way to give the troops a little more headroom without screwing up the ascetic? A brick higher? Thanks!

Not a big fan of the ship, but you did a good job !

I like how you achieved the textures (good balance with studs and tiles).

Love it, for what very little i've seen from the in-universe U-Wing this looks very accurate, love the smoothness and the angles of the model.

So much better than the lego version although I really don't like the ship itself ;) But it's not your or lego's fault anyways

I love this, it looks exactly how the Lego set should look. Does it owe much to the original sets construction or is it from scratch? I only ask as I have the official set but haven't built it yet and now seeing yours I can't imagine ever being satisfied with it built box stock!

First of all - thanks a lot to all of you for the Kind comments!

On ‎21‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 9:17 AM, Flandy said:

I love this, it looks exactly how the Lego set should look. Does it owe much to the original sets construction or is it from scratch? I only ask as I have the official set but haven't built it yet and now seeing yours I can't imagine ever being satisfied with it built box stock!

It uses some parts from the set, but is completely scratch-built. The way the underlying structure of the fuselage is constructed is completely different from the set, as is the cockpit, the rear, the engines and the way they are attached, and the troop compartment. Also, I didn't use the large canopy from the set for the front of the troop compartment, but the canopy piece from the Resistance X-wing/Poe's X-wing, since it's angle better suits the ship's profile. The wings are completely SNOTed, and the fuselage is a bit longer than the official set.

If I get around to it, I might post some breakaway-pictures - the model breaks down into sections easily, so this will not generate too much fuss for me. :classic:

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

That would be great! I always like building stuff straight out of the box, I find it quite relaxing, laying all the parts out and going through the instructions, but once it's done, I'm all for MOC/MODing!

Very sleek design, well done! I borrowed your wing mount design for my UCS U-Wing, hope you don't mind. 

Merry Christmas, Ellis.

Totally love this moc - really nice work :)

Have you made any further changes, or got any of the breakaway pics you alluded to before?

Cheers ;)

Many thanks to all of you for the positive feedback!

I've been very busy during the last few weeks. I'm also almost done with a few tweaks on the model, and have reserved a huge chunk of time this weekend for taking pictures and posting photographic instructions. I'll keep you posted.