Previous Builds: 
Concerns in the Ministries
In the Dark of Night
Lighting up the Diplomatic Furnace
Blue Rooster Inn
March of the Grenadiers

After having arrived at Nellisa, Montoya had had his plate full. New Terra had experienced large scale privateering, naval invasions, hostile claims on the Olean throne, and heavy build-ups of naval forces by competing powers, and of course, Corrington could not stand idle and had landed troops on Victoria Island. Further, a secret, yet well-established Mardierian Colony on the same island had been unveiled, leading the major powers to reconsider their positions.

29704827423_20a2defe59_c.jpg

Much of this had fallen on his plate, and therefore, he had retreated to a study in Nova Terreli owned by the Royal Society. As a member, this was a privilege he often took advantage off, as not even the most hospitable of hosts (amongst which Fontonajo was certainly to be counted) could offer the complete discretion and tranquillity needed for scientific or diplomatic work.

Having just finished a report on the recent declaration of independence of Nellisa, he returned with a frown to the recent directives from the Ministry of Finance. Being narrowly concerned with finances and profits almost to the degree of an Eslandian, the temporary minister of Finance, Lord Pennington, had continuously thwarted Montoya's efforts to serve Corlander interests in New Terra. Pennington was a man of the old world, and Montoya had come to suspect that he was more concerned with his own career than the good of the country. During the recent events on Victoria Island, Pennington had almost succeeded in rendering all Montoya's efforts useless, damaging foreign relations and eventually throwing Montoya into disrepute with the Crown. Whether this was part of a Brickiavellian plot to throw Montoya out of favour, side-effects of Pennington's ambitions, or blatant incompetence, Montoya was not sure, but would do his best to find out.

Leaning back, he smiled as he heard the newspaper boy exclaim the latest headline. At least Pennington hadn't been able to thwart this...

29704827353_e1d0b2f0ff_c.jpg

Meanwhile, outside the study:

"Special Report! Corrington announces armed neutrality! Buy the Pontelli Gazette to get the full story!" The newspaper boy shouted to the assembled crowds. "Following King Fernando Augusto's renewed claims on the Olean throne, the Crown of Corrington has issued a statement that Corlander neutrality will be enforced with force. Forces of King Fernando Augusto found to be trespassing on Corlander soil or territorial waters, whether for offensive or defensive manoeuvres, will be met with the full extent of her Majesty's armed forces."

While a few soldiers were worried by these news, most of the populace seemed happy to find Fernando Augusto's plans frustrated.

Just a little build to propel our story, set of a few rumours of (IC) disconcert in Corlander circles of power, and most of all, to proclaim our armed neutrality.

My head is spinning a bit with all these twists in the last few days.  It's a good thing. :pir-sweet:

Bregir, the expressions you chose for the Eslandolan soldiers hearing the newspaper headline is perfect.

Question: what piece did you use for the ink well?  It's looks great and I can't place it.

Neat interior here Bregir, and the exterior too of course!  Good choice of facial expressions as well. :pir-laugh:  

Nice little vig, both interior and exterior. And as others have already said, the facial expressions really make the scene. :thumbup:

Great posing of minifigures and that is a great building! I like the windows and the texture near the roof on the outside. Great piece usage for the inkwell. I think a coat rack works great but it could have been over further so it didn't obscure Montoya and the desk. Great job on the story as well. 

Great story update Bregir, and good to see the Royal Society spreading it's influence further in Eslandola.... next we'll even be openning branches in Olean!!! Soon the whole world will be enlightened and peace and prosperity will reign!!!  :pir-tongue:

Lovely little study, great to see how much action you managed to pack in there.

Your storytelling is great as usual, and Román is more than happy that Isaac and the Royal Society now own a study in Nova Terreli as well.

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Mike S said:

Some nice fig posing here!

Thanks, Mike - my favourite posing is the soldier on the right. And his posing is entirely accidental, as he wasn't supposed to have fallen partly into that pit making him lean like that! :pir-tongue:

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, Kwatchi said:

My head is spinning a bit with all these twists in the last few days.  It's a good thing. :pir-sweet:

Bregir, the expressions you chose for the Eslandolan soldiers hearing the newspaper headline is perfect.

Question: what piece did you use for the ink well?  It's looks great and I can't place it.

I am working on a new source of renewable energy... Spinning the heads of evil pirate lords! :pir-grin:

Glad you like the expressions - I always have fun picking out those.

Well, I am actually not sure where it is from - I think it is from one of the larger creator sets, where it was... well - an inkwell :pir-grin:

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:33 PM, Kai NRG said:

Neat interior here Bregir, and the exterior too of course!  Good choice of facial expressions as well. :pir-laugh:  

Thanks - tried to balance interior and exterior efforts. :pir-tongue:

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Nice little vig, both interior and exterior. And as others have already said, the facial expressions really make the scene. :thumbup:

Thank you, Capt Wolf! And the minifig is a very expressive species! :pir-grin:

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:05 AM, SilentWolf said:

Great posing of minifigures and that is a great building! I like the windows and the texture near the roof on the outside. Great piece usage for the inkwell. I think a coat rack works great but it could have been over further so it didn't obscure Montoya and the desk. Great job on the story as well. 

And yeah, I see now what you mean about the coat rack... I really need to think about photography already in the building phase! :pir-grin:

22 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great story update Bregir, and good to see the Royal Society spreading it's influence further in Eslandola.... next we'll even be openning branches in Olean!!! Soon the whole world will be enlightened and peace and prosperity will reign!!!  :pir-tongue:

Well, the natives of Nellisa have proven almost immune to wisdom... The only ask one question again and again... "What's in it for me?" *sigh* :pir-tongue:

22 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Lovely little study, great to see how much action you managed to pack in there.

Your storytelling is great as usual, and Román is more than happy that Isaac and the Royal Society now own a study in Nova Terreli as well.

Thanks. Elostirion - was starting to fear I wouldn't be able to fit in all the stuff I wanted...

Happy to see you welcome knowledge on Nellisa too. We are happy to bring the light of science to your island. (And Alberto de Pontelli is already a member, as you know)

And my stories always seem to explode in length - happy it isn't tedious! :classic: