Didumos69

Mis-aligned CV-joint axle, misprint or fake?

In the 42056 Porsche the shifting mechanism (or shift train as I like to refer to it) relies on correctly aligned axles. Each of the axles needs to have a close-to-perfect 45 degree or 90 degree orientation. However, despite many imrpovements I never got the paddle shifter unit to operate correctly. I rebuilt it many times and there was always one paddle that had problems. It even motivated me to build my own paddle shifter unit.

Today I found out what the problem was (I had the CV-joint axle at the right of the first image sitting in my Porsche between the shifter unit and the gearbox):

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

This mis-aligned CV-joint axle caused the vertical axle at the center of the shifter unit to misalign significantly. Now I cannot recall whether I ever swapped the CV-joint axles that came with the set with ones I already had. I don't think I did, but I'm not sure. So my question is: Has anyone seen this kind of mis-aligned CV-joint axle before? Would it be a misprint or a fake?

Edited by Didumos69

OMG..... I am loving the scrutiny you are dedicating to this set!

This is an excellent find. I am sure you could even request replacement parts from TLG.  This indeed is very important.  Surprised no one has responded yet.  I should look at my set and see if there are any misaligned CV joiints. This would mean taking a significant amount of it apart... but I will try and find some time to do it. 

Interesting if we get a strong group of people to do the same with their sets.  I am curious if this is a problem for others. 

Of course, if this is a problem I am sure if is not confined just to the Porsche set but all  CV joints right?  I am going to look at my collection of un-used joints... I am sure I have some laying around. 

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Of course, if this is a problem I am sure if is not confined just to the Porsche set but all  CV joints right?

It's only a problem when its application requires the involved axles to align correctly. When it's being used in a drive train or in front / rear axles a perfect alignment is not that important I suppose.

Edited by Didumos69

Yeaa that's really frustrating,  I just double checked all my spares and not one is misaligned.  It must be a very uncommon occurrence.  

It occurs that the dark gray female part of the CV joint gets damaged due to high torque. The material seems to be too soft for heavy use and tends to wear out or twist like normal axles do sometimes too. Simple solution: use universal joints instead.

12 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

It occurs that the dark gray female part of the CV joint gets damaged due to high torque. The material seems to be too soft for heavy use and tends to wear out or twist like normal axles do sometimes too. Simple solution: use universal joints instead.

In my universe the dgb-one is the male part, but that's of minor importance :wink:.

Okay, makes sense. I checked this specific part, but I don't see any other traces of wear or signs that it would be twisted somehow. I can't imagine this to be the result of use,

Interesting. I don't use CV-joints very often outside of building official sets, but I've never seen this before.

It looks all new without any wear, seems to be a molding issue to me.

I think it is a molding issue, because i don´t see any evidence of twisting, and actually i think that the 2 walls would wear up or bend outside before that the axle could twist, and there are also previous molding issues in other models axle-like parts, i have seen a lot of people complaining about bent axles in the 42055, so it is possible to be the same in the 42056 (and the bent part seems new compared to the other one, which makes this theory more possible).

Edited by ImanolBB

I think it's a molding issue too. The thought that I have been doing all this Porsche modding with this thing on board is rediculous :pir-hmpf_bad:.

Edited by Didumos69

5 hours ago, ImanolBB said:

I think it is a molding issue, because i don´t see any evidence of twisting, and actually i think that the 2 walls would wear up or bend outside before that the axle could twist, and there are also previous molding issues in other models axle-like parts, i have seen a lot of people complaining about bent axles in the 42055, so it is possible to be the same in the 42056 (and the bent part seems new compared to the other one, which makes this theory more possible).

Agreed.  I also think it is a molding issue.  We all know that with such a short axle, it would take tons of torque to twist it.  I think the side walls of the female end (I know.. I know sounds funny) would break off before the short axle would twist.

Just checked 8 of mine..... no warping at all.  I think you just got one from a bad batch......

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I think it's a molding issue too. The thought that I have been doing all this Porsche modding with this thing on board is rediculous :pir-hmpf_bad:.

That is exactly what happened to me, i was making my Uni-moc chassis and i was putting the anti-roll bar, and when i was watching the truck i found it was slightly tilted to a side (which was weird because it has no weight on it), i compressed and released the whole suspensions, nothing changed, i changed the shock absorbers from one side to another and it was still tilted, i was scratching my head trying to understand what was wrong, and about 5 hours later when i was making the pictures and i uncoupled the anti-roll bars, it magically leveled how it was thought, and then i find that there was a bent 5L axle, i was angry and i felt a bit idiot, but finally i was happy to find the problem, is sadly that you couldn't find the problem in the CV before all of that hard work, but you finally found it, and this is also a very important information to many builders, so they should check for mis-printed parts too.

Yeah, these kind of things can make you crazy.

Btw, most of my mods - or actually all of them - to the Porsche remain valid. It's just that I have been hating this paddle shifter unit for it while it's not all that bad after some tweaks :wink:.

I'd say this would be a bit weird for mould issue.

@Didumos69 could you inspect bottom on female side, where other side of CV-joint connect? My parts have two versions:

1. Letter "c" in circle at the bottom with mould number and "92906" a bit outside
2. "LEGO" at the bottom with mould number and "92906" a bit outside

I'm curious if this is a legit LEGO piece.

20 hours ago, zux said:

I'd say this would be a bit weird for mould issue.

@Didumos69 could you inspect bottom on female side, where other side of CV-joint connect? My parts have two versions:

1. Letter "c" in circle at the bottom with mould number and "92906" a bit outside

I'm curious if this is a legit LEGO piece.

I could only check 4 of them (the others are in builds right now) and I don't see any text printed on them. I will check the others too over time.

Edited by Didumos69

After reading about this, I checked the 5 CV-joints in my BWE when I started disassembling it yesterday and they're all normal.

I have never seen a misaligned version of this particular part, although to be fair I'm not sure I would notice in a normal application.  However, I have seen misaligned axle holes occasionally in other parts, and it can be really annoying sometimes.  In some applications it doesn't matter, but in other applications it is critical.  I noticed this most when building Akiyuki GBC modules in which things had to align just right.

I'm thinking it is the dark grey plastic quality that is the problem. I have two dark grey 1x3 cross blocks (4173970) that have the axle hole off a bit.

I wonder if it could be from heat warping, after the part was ejected from the mold. If there were mold issues, there would be say misaligned mold seams, or flash on the seams.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

On 16/10/2016 at 5:05 PM, zux said:

I have just checked the 8 spares I have and all are OK but cannot find any markings on any of them which include some from the BWE set.

I have just checked all of mine and all of them are fine... Except for the one that had to much torque going through it.

35 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

I have just checked the 8 spares I have and all are OK but cannot find any markings on any of them which include some from the BWE set.

I couldn't find any markings either.

Up to now I seem to be the only one with this kind of misprint. It's maybe a bit pointless to go into 'what if' scenarios, but I can't help thinking that this unique part - and its effect on my 42056 build - has added to my dedication to improve this set...

On 10/16/2016 at 3:30 AM, Didumos69 said:

In my universe the dgb-one is the male part, but that's of minor importance :wink:.

Okay, makes sense. I checked this specific part, but I don't see any other traces of wear or signs that it would be twisted somehow. I can't imagine this to be the result of use,

That's really strange, because male parts always go inside of female ones! Same with screw threads. The bolt is male, the nut is female.

4 hours ago, BachAddict said:

That's really strange, because male parts always go inside of female ones! Same with screw threads. The bolt is male, the nut is female.

Sorry, you are right of course, my mistake. I thought of the axle as the male side and the shaft as the female side, but sorry for having such pervert thoughts :wink::wink:.

They could actually be regarded as hermaphrodites with primary and secondary gender...

1280x360.jpg