dmaclego

Yet another Y-wing (Koensayr BTL-A4)

Hello again!

29694873733_61337ea22c_c.jpgY-wing - Just parking by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

After slightly over 2 months of work I'm proud to present my rendition of the famous rebel fighter: the Y-wing.

It's big: over 1,900 elements. It's long: 51 cm (but still much smaller than the UCS version). Is it minifig scale? I say: yes - but that's because minifig's height is NOT the most important parameter to me.

The only non-LEGO stuff I used is the electric installation - 6 LEDs, a switch and some wires.

Please, take a look at the gallery. As usual, I'll gladly answer your questions.

Edited by dmaclego

Awesome! The gritty feel of a working Y-Wing is very well captured here. I like how you made it look so much like the studio model.

The detailing is amazing, especially the engines where you use track elements and minifig hands to create the cylindrical areas. :classic:

Edited by Azrielsc

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I'm glad you like my model.

20 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

Are... are those key ring rings on the steering vanes? What... how...

Indeed. Well, they fit precisely over three studs so... why not? It's the only LEGO part I know in this size. Plus, it's shiny metallic ;) . And they cost next to nothing, since I have a bunch of LEGO key rings waaaay too worn to be usable for anything else!

This isn't simply 'Yet another Y-Wing'... It's a dmaclego Y-Wing. Definitely separated from the rest (Even though there are some great ones out there!)
Your techniques used in this are something else! Good spot on the keyring too, Id not have noticed that, but that is unique/different! It most definitely impressive! And the lights give it a nice final touch too! Great job!

Genius! Very creative use of the track bricks as engines :D I like it very much

Thank you all for your kind opinions!

2 hours ago, hachiroku said:

(...) it looks practically like a McQuarrie painting.

Now, that is a bold statement :) . An ultimate praise for my model, being compared to Ralph The Great's work! Thanks, man :) .

Absolutely superb! I understand TLG is bringing out another Y-wing next year but it's unlikely to hold a candle to this one! Love it!

Thanks, guys!

8 hours ago, Flandy said:

TLG is bringing out another Y-wing next year but it's unlikely to hold a candle to this one!

Well, LEGO sets - even UCS sets - are toys and as such they must hold certain standards.They will never be as overloaded with detail, as complicated and as fragile as AFOL-made models. On the other hand, my Y-wing is a crappy toy - it has virtually no functions, heh, even placing a minifig in the cockpit is a royal pain! 

Man this Y-Wing is beyond perfection for me, every angle, evry single bit of greebling is perfect !! Spectacular job man !

This is an excellent creation, and in my opnion what a modern USC should look like.

You should not worry that the official model is a bit longer, bacause the proportions of that model is way off. I am a big fan of the official model, but as with the UCS Blockade Runner, time has taken its toll.

Your techniques are inspired and the detailing, size and proportions more than makes this creation UCS worthy!

That is a superb rendition of my favorite Star Wars fighter! I'd ask the inevitable questions about LDD plans but I'll bet there are many "illegal"  techniques that would make that impossible.  Again, Well done! and thanks for sharing. 

Really amazing work!  Some of these MOC's just blow away anything Lego has done themselves.  I was never able to get the Y Wing UCS and am looking to build one somehow.

Everything on here is just wonderful. from the greebling, to the cockpit. The cockpit though, just blows me a way. from afar the Y-wing cockpit looks so simple, but it's not, there are so many different tiny angles on it, and you seemed to have captured them all! You've done it again with the cutout panels lining the inner cockpit to hide the slanted slopes cupping the sides. Even more impressive you've put the same technique on the bottom, slanting it upward towards the nose! A lot of very unorthodox and illegal connections, but that's what makes it so dag'on accurate!

I like how you made the body portion of it a lot thicker, compared to what Ive seen on other MOCs. an you kept the arms on the engines 1 stud wide!  The best part about the engines is how you kept the long technic axles in place just by T-joints, it looks like they are going to fall off/out on take off.

Amazing work again! Any other rebel ships going to come out of you? 

Thank you all; it is a pleasure to read such positive responses.

On 17.10.2016 at 1:12 AM, mortesv said:

You should not worry that the official model is a bit longer, bacause the proportions of that model is way off.

Either that or they were inspired by the Gold 2 studio model, which had a little bit longer struts connecting the engines with steering vanes ;) . But seriously: I never follow the standards set by UCS series because, as I said, TLG designers are making toys and stick to strict business rules while I'm just interested in nice looking models :) .

On 17.10.2016 at 4:17 AM, ecmo47 said:

I'd ask the inevitable questions about LDD plans but I'll bet there are many "illegal"  techniques that would make that impossible.

Absolutely. There is a glimmer of hope that MLCad could handle some of these illegal connections but it's a moot point, since I just don't have that much time (or skill, for that matter) to even think about creating instructions. On the other side, I published a "behind the scenes" photo of engine nacelle technique and the rest (cockpit aside, maybe) is pretty straightforward, I guess :) .

On 17.10.2016 at 4:57 AM, Smitty500 said:

(...) the Y-wing cockpit looks so simple, but it's not, there are so many different tiny angles on it

I like how you made the body portion of it a lot thicker, compared to what Ive seen on other MOCs. an you kept the arms on the engines 1 stud wide!  The best part about the engines is how you kept the long technic axles in place just by T-joints, it looks like they are going to fall off/out on take off.

(...) Any other rebel ships going to come out of you? 

So true about the cockpit! To be honest, I started building the Y-wing from the cockpit and for a very long time I was "happy" having virtually no vertical tapering on it - the nose was just as thick, as the rear part of the cockpit and cabin's roof was horizontal. ("Happy" means "I gave up hope of doing it better" ;) .) It was only when the model was almost finished that I finally found a solution. Thank goodness! :)  But the truth is, there is some room for improvement: the bulge on the bottom of the cockpit (where landing gear is connected) should also be slightly slanted, just like the cabin's roof. And I know how to do it, just couldn't bring myself to rip the guts of the cockpit once again, when I finally assembled all the flex tubes around the cabin :D .

The thickness of the body is a tricky matter. Each studio model is VERY different in this area. But I liked very much the bent tubes that go under the "neck" of Gold Leader model and they actually set the thickness of the rest. Actually, there were four such tubes under the studio model but I found room only for two. But still I'm glad :) . About the long Technic axles - I'm surprised myself how sturdy they are; the model is very, very swooshable. There are three crucial things about them that I luckily managed to re-create in my model. One: they go all the way from front domes, not just from the pneumatic T-joints you mentioned. Two: they are not braced in any way - they are supposed to look like glued to the engines (and they were, in the studio models ;) ) . And three: the cross-section of the original struts was "T" shaped, not round (like in the UCS model) or flat (like in previous fan-made models) so I thought that Technic axle cross-section ("+" shaped) is the closest solution.

About other rebel ships... The answer is: no. I'm going back to my Endor Project for a while. Also, the unfinished model of the old Soviet backhoe "Bialorus" craves my attention ;) .

Edited by dmaclego

Great model again, like your X-wing. I love the weird part usages you do in this and the X-wing, like here the spinners from Ninjago, the bley threads and the keyrings. It's just a miracle how this fit so well!

I like that your model looks good and iconic in each shot of it, really happy you have more pictures on your Flickr page, maybe I'll reverse engineer it one day so I can have my own :wub:

Its such a shame that those giant white technic axles are so hard to get. I'd love to try and recreate this, but there are barely 8 of those axles on bricklink that'll ship to Australia.