Sven F

Staff views on knock-off discussion and promotion

THANK YOU!

This is always something that stuck in my crawl here at EB. I've always wanted to bring this up. Other fan forums I contribute to that have respect for the fan company don't allow this. Why was it acceptable to discuss bootleg products here... I can't go to my Magic: the Gathering forum and encourage the ebay scum that print and profit off printed proxies and share links to their stuff and encourage others to buy. It's in their site rules. I can't go to my Terraria forum and ask for, provide, or share links to torrentz and hacks of the game. It's in their site rules.

The point that there were threads that users actively spread site links, auction sites / store names, reviews, price comparisons, and generally explained how to and encouraged order bootleg LEGO products was dishonorable.

I know there will be some confusion and issues for a while as what's ok and what's not ok to discuss and how, but I trust the staff to handle appropriately.

... also thanks for fixing the grey text around the forum. I'll poke around, but it seems to be more readable.

Edited by TheWarden

Just to clarify, there is a world of difference between discussing, say, hasbro bricks and Lepin.

Lepin is a criminal company and any purchase of their product is a criminal offense.

IMO people who want to talk about other brands should do so in other non-lego forums.

Lepin should be discussed nowhere.

9 hours ago, mortesv said:

Just to clarify, there is a world of difference between discussing, say, hasbro bricks and Lepin.

Lepin is a criminal company and any purchase of their product is a criminal offense.

That is (possibly) what the court case is about (Lego haven't actually said what they are contesting yet), and the second part (criminal offense to purchase) will depend on where you live once the decision is made.

9 hours ago, mortesv said:

IMO people who want to talk about other brands should do so in other non-lego forums.

Does that extend to other bootlegs / knock-offs / fakes too, such as 3D printed versions LEGO parts that are no longer sold at retail - although genuine parts are available at BL, eBay and similar marketplaces?

10 hours ago, mortesv said:

I wish this forum had a 'like button'

Just to add my 2p worth.  I believe TLG is very lucky not to have a lot of genuine scale competition.  They have a clear market and are able to make good margins from a quality product.  I would be happier if other firms produced something similar to improve competition and drive prices down.

Hello was wondering if the new  rules mean that duplication of Official Lego stickers from sets is now banned from discussion. They wholly fit into the category of knock offs etc as defined by the clause. I suggest that people buying unofficial sets may wish to apply Lego stickers on them to be more convincing (think Emerald Night). Or as the legitimate stickers are usually pricey (see Bricklink, Emerald night, BNSF, Star wars etc), knock off stickers and their presence encourages and facilitates legitimising bootleg brands. If someone is buying bootlegs because their cheap, their probably going to not be discouraged buying bootleg stickers either.

Custom stickers would fall under the clause of orecognised clone brands. 

Some clarification please.

tks

In that thread a mod is selling EN stickers (since the ban came in), so presumably the ban only applies to companies doing knock offs, but individuals can continue to make and sell fakes for profit / the good of the community*.

*delete as appropriate.

There is a fine line between what is a company for profit and what is a person doing it as a favour but a little money. I guess the line might be different in different sub forums depending on the mods.