Didumos69

Should technic builders credit the ones whose ideas they use?

Should technic builders credit the ones whose ideas they use?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. I like it when I see people using some of my ideas, like a modifications to set, a straight forward mechanism or anything else useful to others. I like it even better when people credit me - or simply mention me - when they use my ideas in something they want to share themselves. However, I wouldn't feel offended when they don't, as long as they don't take credit for the specific idea themselves. At the same time I feel obliged to credit those whose ideas I use. What is your opinion? Should builders add references to the ideas they use, mention their designers or even credit them? Or should we accept that - like most things on the internet - anything shared can no longer be regarded as something that can be taken credit for?

• I would like others to mention me when they use my idea in something they share
    • I don't expect others to mention me when they use my idea in something they share

10 hours ago, bonox said:

Just for fun, what if you bought the idea? Or perhaps bought a collection of parts already assembled.

For example, when was the last time you bought a car and in the literature, Ford said that they wanted to credit getrag for designing the transmission? Or a washing machine and they said that the motor came from ZNG? Sometimes this is done as a marketing exercise if the sub-assembly is from a well know brand and is different to the poverty pack version for example (eg brakes by Brembo), but they aren't actually crediting the designer of the other part....

And in software world this kind of request is common practice. Like 'derived work must retain licence and give credit'.

Idea that can be bought and sold is called 'patent'. It doesn't require to give credit.