Sign in to follow this  
H3ssian

[HELP] Tips for Buiilding the 42030 Volvo L350F

Hello chaps, I lucked out last week and managed to win a 350f setc, now I'm more of a star-wars and idea's builder etc so the whole Technics with motors etc is rather new to me.

any tips or tricks I need to know guys with a set like this? your help would be much appreciated

Regards

Follow the instructions in the book. I don't recall any issues building the set.  Someone had the problem below:

Be sure to mount the differentials correctly, or you could end up with one axle wanting to go forward and the other axle in reverse. 

Hello! I would highly suggest watching which way the differentials are orientated. As a rule of thumb for AWD véhicules, the rear differential should be orientated with the gearteath facing the opposite way they are on the front differential. For example, the gearteath of the front differential should be facing in from the right side, and the gearteath of the rear differential should be facing inwards from the left side. If both differentials are facing the same way, then both axles will turn in different directions, 

sincerely, 

Myers (you haven't seen for a long time) lego technic

There is a common mistake (posted here several times already) - make sure to center Servo motor during assembly.

Hey thanks loads for taking the time to reply :D will follow the instructions closely, and just had a read about setting the servo motors correctly, thanks loads for that. as thats something I would not have known about! I have built tons of UCS large sets etc, but again the motor stuff looked to be abit daunting, thanks again guys :D

18 minutes ago, zux said:

There is a common mistake (posted here several times already) - make sure to center Servo motor during assembly.

+1, this was my first major build after coming out of the dark ages (and my first power functions experience) and I mounted the Servo wrong, it is a royal PITA to fix.  Some people complain about the jerkiness of the steering itself due to the servo motor and there is a mod to use linear actuators coupled with an M-motor on the 350F MODs and Improvements page (here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/91625-42030-volvo-l350f-mods-and-improvements/&page=6).  

Personally it doesn't bother me too much (other than it reverting to being turned on account of my mounting the servo wrong), plus you could also just get the Train IR remote (Part 8879) for around $15 which has allows the servo motor to have several degrees instead of the "all or nothing" that creates the jerky turning.  

1 minute ago, r12ax7 said:

+1, this was my first major build after coming out of the dark ages (and my first power functions experience) and I mounted the Servo wrong, it is a royal PITA to fix.  Some people complain about the jerkiness of the steering itself due to the servo motor and there is a mod to use linear actuators coupled with an M-motor on the 350F MODs and Improvements page (here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/91625-42030-volvo-l350f-mods-and-improvements/&page=6).  

Personally it doesn't bother me too much (other than it reverting to being turned on account of my mounting the servo wrong), plus you could also just get the Train IR remote (Part 8879) for around $15 which has allows the servo motor to have several degrees instead of the "all or nothing" that creates the jerky turning.  

Thanks for that bud, yeah this will be my first Technics build since the dark ages, I must say it looks like a fantastic set! so I cant wait to get into the build for sure! Thanks for the links to the fixes and upgrades etc, I have watched a review and videos of the beast in action and can see how a few mods would make for a much smother RC experience. will throw up a picture when Im finished :D thanks again

2 minutes ago, H3ssian said:

Thanks for that bud, yeah this will be my first Technics build since the dark ages, I must say it looks like a fantastic set! so I cant wait to get into the build for sure! Thanks for the links to the fixes and upgrades etc, I have watched a review and videos of the beast in action and can see how a few mods would make for a much smother RC experience. will throw up a picture when Im finished :D thanks again

It was a very, very slippery slope indeed.  While its still available (and often at a discount), don't discount the MB Arcos 42043.  I kind of thought the idea of a generic truck that didnt even have RC functions was boring compared to the loader, but I'll tell you it makes a fantastic companion to the Volvo, and the size is seriously impressive - not to mention the pneumatic functions.  Easily modded to have varying degrees of RC functionality too.