Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

The retaking of Eolas: A heroes farewell

It was the start of summer and the streets were packed. Banners fluttered above our heads as we marched through the windy roads of Andfore. The crowds had gathered to say farewell to the brave men who would defend them. The troops smiled and laughed as they said goodbye to their loved ones. The only men who were grim were veterans who rode with Artorius  Rex, those who knew the true horror of war. Despite this The Maestro bore a large grin, it was important to keep up troops morale and let them have one last merry moment before the darkness that came with war. To think about how many of these wives would be widows and how many children would become fatherless after the battle is unbearable. I can only hope that the battle shall be swift and result in a heroic victory for Eolas. Yet not all things go to plan...

30098073561_71d6a8ffbf_z.jpgA heroes farewell by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

29553549714_aa1c5c8ee8_z.jpgA heroes farewell by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

30147957776_675d97becd_z.jpgA heroes farewell by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

You're probably sick of these builds by now but do not fear, the holiday has one more day remaining and nothing more will be posted for a while. Anyway this took longer than it should have despite all the angles. This was also a stretch of pieces which I seem to have a habit of doing :p oh well, may be time for my first bricklink order. This build will be slightly modified and then appear later in the saga. Not much else to say so hope you enjoy :D  

p.s Thanks Jacob Nion for your awesome Skavenport, A massive help when building this.  

The last saga chapter: Construction of a army   

The next saga chapter: A hollow victory                

Edited by The Maestro

Great build! Your half-timbered tudor-style houses have improved a lot!

I first thought this to be from Jacon Nion's own hand!

Looks great! The Skravenport influences are easy to see, and I do not think that this would look out of place there. It is a great little scene of departure--I think the minifigure posing is the highlight here, with the soldier saying goodbye to his son, and the woman waving farewell from the gable window. Another positive is that your highly-textured walls, a bit of a signature for you, are looking better and better as you limit the textures to just a few of the myriad options that bricks give you (using SNOTed tiles and masonry bricks but excluding the log bricks and grill bricks, for example). A bit more simplification could help even more, but they look just fine now. I have only two minor criticisms: first, that the stained glass, while a nice touch, might look a bit better moved away from the roof edge a tad so that the wood is not obscuring part of it, and second, that perhaps a thicker wall (or just a second wall behind the first) would be better so that light cannot be seen passing through it. But those are minor, and the work as a whole is lovely. Good job!

Fabulous build, Maestro! As usual, your wall texturing is superb, and the angled layout of the buildings looks great :thumbup:

The colorful banners and flowers add a nice touch of color to the scene too :classic:

Excellent build, great job with the tumble down buildings and I love the color you've brought in with the flags and flowers! :thumbup:  Great work with the texture on the walls and roof!

Very nice build yet again, the whole scene feels alive and busy! The texturing on the stone and plaster walls is great, and the flags and flowers give just enough colour to display the perfect feel for this build, great work!

On 09/10/2016 at 2:18 AM, TitusV said:

Great build! Your half-timbered tudor-style houses have improved a lot!

I first thought this to be from Jacon Nion's own hand!

Thanks Titus, yeah this is defiently my best tudor work to date, much better than my older style. 

On 09/10/2016 at 3:42 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Looks great! The Skravenport influences are easy to see, and I do not think that this would look out of place there. It is a great little scene of departure--I think the minifigure posing is the highlight here, with the soldier saying goodbye to his son, and the woman waving farewell from the gable window. Another positive is that your highly-textured walls, a bit of a signature for you, are looking better and better as you limit the textures to just a few of the myriad options that bricks give you (using SNOTed tiles and masonry bricks but excluding the log bricks and grill bricks, for example). A bit more simplification could help even more, but they look just fine now. I have only two minor criticisms: first, that the stained glass, while a nice touch, might look a bit better moved away from the roof edge a tad so that the wood is not obscuring part of it, and second, that perhaps a thicker wall (or just a second wall behind the first) would be better so that light cannot be seen passing through it. But those are minor, and the work as a whole is lovely. Good job!

Wow, I always hope to get great advice on builds but this is awesome. I've fixed everything now and it's ready for its second photo shoot.

On 09/10/2016 at 3:44 AM, LittleJohn said:

Fabulous build, Maestro! As usual, your wall texturing is superb, and the angled layout of the buildings looks great :thumbup:

The colorful banners and flowers add a nice touch of color to the scene too :classic:

Thanks little John, I wanted to make this build bright and cherry to contrast with the alternate scene, the colours were a big help in that.

On 09/10/2016 at 6:59 AM, Kai NRG said:

Excellent build, great job with the tumble down buildings and I love the color you've brought in with the flags and flowers! :thumbup:  Great work with the texture on the walls and roof!

Thanks Kai, that style of roof is defiently my best to date.

On 09/10/2016 at 9:48 AM, Legofin2012 said:

Very nice build yet again, the whole scene feels alive and busy! The texturing on the stone and plaster walls is great, and the flags and flowers give just enough colour to display the perfect feel for this build, great work!

Im glad you got the feeling I was trying to achieve, the building defiently steal the show:laugh:

Excellent street scene, the layout works nicely and the consistent styling of the buildings is also cool :thumbup: Neat tavern sign, and the woman waving good bye from the window is a nice touch.

I also like the pose of the knight holding his helmet :classic:

This is a great build! I saw it over on Flickr but somehow missed it in the Guilds up to this point. It has so much atmosphere and character! :classic: Fantastic work on the buildings; placed at odd angles, having tons of texture and excellent woodwork! The waving lady in the behind the opened window is a really nice touch. Great figure posing in the crowd as well, and the colourful flags just finish off the whole cheerful scene! :thumbup: I'm not really a fan of the border being higher than the ground level, but that's really a minor thing. 

Lovely scene! I think you nailed the atmosphere, happy and sad at once, which fits perfectly with the story. Actually, the scene describes the event so well that the story comes to almost be unnecessary! 

On 12/10/2016 at 1:00 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Excellent street scene, the layout works nicely and the consistent styling of the buildings is also cool :thumbup: Neat tavern sign, and the woman waving good bye from the window is a nice touch.

I also like the pose of the knight holding his helmet :classic:

Thanks sk, I tried to keep the building simmilar to tie them together more. The tavern sign were one of the first things I built as I know that every town needs a tavern :laugh:

On 14/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, Exetrius said:

This is a great build! I saw it over on Flickr but somehow missed it in the Guilds up to this point. It has so much atmosphere and character! :classic: Fantastic work on the buildings; placed at odd angles, having tons of texture and excellent woodwork! The waving lady in the behind the opened window is a really nice touch. Great figure posing in the crowd as well, and the colourful flags just finish off the whole cheerful scene! :thumbup: I'm not really a fan of the border being higher than the ground level, but that's really a minor thing. 

Better late then never Exetrius, glad you liked it and I will try make the borders at ground level in the future .

On 14/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, en_zoo said:

Lovely scene! I think you nailed the atmosphere, happy and sad at once, which fits perfectly with the story. Actually, the scene describes the event so well that the story comes to almost be unnecessary! 

Thanks en_zoo, I never pay much attention to the story anyway so thats good to hear.

On 14/10/2016 at 8:31 PM, Mpyromaxos said:

Excelent build! I liked the wall texturing and the "life" on the street! It really reminds me a mediaval age!

Thanks Mypyromaxos, The wall texturing not the best but it will do.

Awesome scene, that is a great crowd shot! This build really does capture the feel of a medieval city. I for one am certainly not tired of these!

On 29/10/2016 at 8:29 AM, MassEditor said:

Awesome scene, that is a great crowd shot! This build really does capture the feel of a medieval city. I for one am certainly not tired of these!

Thanks MassEditor, Im happy that you think I captured that crowd feel as thats exactly the mood I was going for. Glad your not tired of them yet, postimg a very exciting moc soon amd then im going to get the saga out of the way.

A very lively scene. The colors look good here and the greebling and the angling on the walls are well done.

On 01/11/2016 at 8:51 AM, Blufiji said:

A very lively scene. The colors look good here and the greebling and the angling on the walls are well done.

Thanks Blufiji. The angles were hard but I think I acheived what I was aiming for :classic:

Great scene!  There is a good variety in the color scheme, the houses are great, and your fig choice is good too :D