Tracytron

2017 Lego Star Wars UCS set vote

I would love a minifig scale AT-AT, but being that it will be the 40th anniversary of A New Hope, and we are getting a Snow Speeder soon, my money is on a UCS Y-Wing, ISD or the Falcon (dreaming but unlikely). I can wait a couple of years for the 40th anniversary of Empire. Oh and for the 40th anniversary of Jedi. UCS Home One. Drooling.

I doubt we'll see an update or rerelease of the Falcon any time soon - it was 13 years after the release of the  original UCS X-wing before that got an update with 10240 Red Five in 2013, so I'd expect another Falcon in about 2020.  In view of the 40th anniversary of A New Hope, my guess would be a UCS model of Luke's Landspeeder as I think it's the only iconic vehicle from the movie that's not been given the UCS treatment yet.  

That said, my hope is for either a new rebel blockade runner or (please, pretty please Lego) a new Star Destroyer.

On 2016-11-01 at 8:19 AM, Krycek said:

I would love a minifig scale AT-AT, but being that it will be the 40th anniversary of A New Hope, and we are getting a Snow Speeder soon, my money is on a UCS Y-Wing, ISD or the Falcon (dreaming but unlikely).

(emphasis added to quote)

Seems like the most probable lineup guess to me. AT-AT would be great, but indeed it is not the right time - only ANH-stuff next year, I would say..

I sure would not mind a new UCS Falcon. It will be ten years since the last one. Preferably it should have an attempt at an interior. I am perfectly fine with hollow skeleton-only display ships in most cases, but in the movies we see the Falcon more from the inside than from outside. So many important scenes happen in there, it feels a bit sad when such a big kit is basically empty.

Regarding "iconic" ships and such as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I tend to agree that the original trilogy is far superior in this regard compared to the rest. But then I wonder how much this is influenced by nostalgia and the impact of hitherto unseen quality special effects work on young minds, effects that have become the standard we expect. (Recently I showed the original Star Wars to my lady, who only knew (and loved) the later Special Edition. She was surprised at how similar they were, as she had believed scenes like the trench run to be modern SE-additions, unfilmable in the 70s.) That being said, even assuming the quality and "iconicity" of the design to be equal once the rose colored glasses are removed, I have problems identifying any PT vehicles/locations that played such an important role as the standout OT vehicles/locations. There was always so much going on, leaving so little focus on each individual vehicle. Maybe the pod racers, but I do not see them as anniversary material.

Edited by Zakalwe

Venator for sure. Minifig scale at-at is going to be awfully big and stacking the motorized on top of that is unrealistic. MTT had a few scenes in the least popular movie and some scenes in the clone wars but it as a whole is rather dull as it is really only a troop transport. Yet again motorized doesn't seem practical as its more of a play feature. Venator is the most iconic republic spaceship in the clone wars and prequel trilogy and by far deserves the spot.

On 11/1/2016 at 8:19 AM, Krycek said:

I would love a minifig scale AT-AT, but being that it will be the 40th anniversary of A New Hope, and we are getting a Snow Speeder soon, my money is on a UCS Y-Wing, ISD or the Falcon (dreaming but unlikely). I can wait a couple of years for the 40th anniversary of Empire. Oh and for the 40th anniversary of Jedi. UCS Home One. Drooling.

The Y-wing is highly unlikely to get a UCS treatment next year, considering there's already a microfighter and a normal set announced. I would like to be wrong, but I bet it's going to be another playset. Like a Cantina or stg. Or, if they want to ride the RO waves even more, even a Yavin base.

Edited by brobert

On 2016-10-07 at 2:09 PM, kibosh said:

Ugh.  No more prequel stuff.  Ever.

Prequels got plenty of cool stuff that has not been covered in UCS

The Yavin IV base would be my preference for next year's UCS. It ties in with ANH's 40th Anniversary and is something new that we haven't gotten before, especially since the last few sets have all been remakes (Hoth, Death Star and now the Snowspeeder) I liked the idea they had behind the cancelled set which featured the exterior pyramid on one side and all the interior rooms on the other. Ideally should come with around 15 minifigures like Hoth and the Ewok Village.

Ceremony Luke (using the CMF medal piece instead of printing it on the torso)
Ceremony Leia
Ceremony Han
Chewbacca
General Dodonna
Biggs Darklighter
Wedge Antilles
Red Leader
Rebel Technician
Rebel Fleet Trooper (x2)
Rebel Honor Guard (x2)
Plus Rogue One spoilers:

Bail Organa and Mon Mothma

The Mos Eisley Cantina would be my second preference. The 2014 version was nice but I wouldn't mind one thats a proper building like the Simpsons D2C sets. At the bare minimum the minifigures should include Dr. Evazan, Ponda Baba, Garindan, Momaw Nadon and Wuher in addition to the ones from the 2014 set.

Edited by wesker

On 11/10/2016 at 1:07 AM, kibosh said:

The prequels are/were garbage.  And I do have two kids that grew up during the PT era.  They barely remember anything about them, yet they can quote OT stuff all day.  When they talk Star Wars, it's only OT.

How can you say that. Read the books. See past the bad acting. And you get a really good storyline, with much more gray areas about "good" and "bad" than the OT. And there is no way you should denounce them as garbage. They are part of Star Wars.

On 24/12/2016 at 5:23 PM, eliminator said:

So, when should we be seeing the 75144 Snowspeeder on the shelves? May 2017?

Apparently it's a UCS Falcon now

46 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

How can you say that. Read the books. See past the bad acting. And you get a really good storyline, with much more gray areas about "good" and "bad" than the OT. And there is no way you should denounce them as garbage. They are part of Star Wars.

They aren't part of my Star Wars.  I hope they get redone at some point.  How can I say they were garbage.  Midichlorians.  Why explain away a mystical power like the force with science.  Just stupid.  And only two Sith.  Again, why????  Why limit the story.  No need and it just tired their hands for so many things.  I'm sure I can think of more examples if you need them.

Just now, kibosh said:

They aren't part of my Star Wars.  I hope they get redone at some point.  How can I say they were garbage.  Midichlorians.  Why explain away a mystical power like the force with science.  Just stupid.  And only two Sith.  Again, why????  Why limit the story.  No need and it just tired their hands for so many things.  I'm sure I can think of more examples if you need them.

Your Star Wars? There is no "my Star Wars", "your Star Wars". There is only "Star Wars". You may or may not like them, but you can't say they aren't part of "your star wars".

7 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Your Star Wars? There is no "my Star Wars", "your Star Wars". There is only "Star Wars". You may or may not like them, but you can't say they aren't part of "your star wars".

Sure I can.  I don't recognize them as even existing.  I'll never watch them again.  I only have a few of the sets, and those are for parts.  Just like I didn't buy into all the fanboy EU crap.

I'd be willing to bet Disney will not hesitate to contradict them if need be.

22 minutes ago, kibosh said:

Sure I can.  I don't recognize them as even existing.  I'll never watch them again.  I only have a few of the sets, and those are for parts.  Just like I didn't buy into all the fanboy EU crap.

I second that emotion. Vader deserved a much better origin story than those awful movies provided.

2 hours ago, kibosh said:

Well bearing in mind there are some people who do like the Prequel Trilogy and the EU and may not appreciate it being referred to as "crap" or "garbage", I'm not saying it was perfect, because it wasn't. 

I'd quite like to see a Tanitive IV, especially after Rogue One. The problem with the last one was that the interior focused too much on Leia's Office rather than the corridor, which I think would have been a little more interesting. Ideally, I think it could include around 10 minifigures. 

Princess Leia

Rebel Trooper (x2)

C-3PO

R2-D2

Captain Antilles 

Darth Vader

Stortroopers (x2) 

18 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Actually, there kinda is. Your Star Wars might include the prequels, but @kibosh's doesn't. It's just not a part of the Star Wars saga that he likes.

UCS Falcon is bar far my most wanted set. I'd like a new version of that. New mold for the cockpit. Just give me. I'll pay anything reasonable (reasonable being key which is why I don't own the old one).

A UCS Venator would be nice, as Lego have not released a UCS version yet, even though the ship has been around 12 years. A UCS Falcon would be cool, but it would have to have dramatic changes for it to appeal to me.

No way will it be a PT set.  Think about it.  Anything like a Venator or a Falcon is going to be expensive so they're appealing to a limited market.  That limited market will have a much better shot at buying perhaps the most iconic ship from the franchise.  A UCS Falcon has the best shot at good sales numbers.

22 minutes ago, kibosh said:

No way will it be a PT set.  Think about it.  Anything like a Venator or a Falcon is going to be expensive so they're appealing to a limited market.  That limited market will have a much better shot at buying perhaps the most iconic ship from the franchise.  A UCS Falcon has the best shot at good sales numbers.

Why? You could have a Venator that is about 3000 pieces, which would be cheaper than the UCS Falcon's 5000+

5 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Why? You could have a Venator that is about 3000 pieces, which would be cheaper than the UCS Falcon's 5000+

I agree 100% Vader, my Venator is currently at 1700 pieces, is about 10 studs longer than primus', and is only missing the bottom plating. So you could actually create one with around 2000-2200 pieces.