Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

The retaking of Eolas: Construction of a army

The island of Eolas had sprung into action. With the council confirming war against the drow, hundreds of men had been recruited, pulled out of their peaceful lives to defend their families. But for an army you need not only troops but weapons, food, ale, horses, ale , armour, ale and perhaps a little more ale. The Maestro was checking the training of his army, seeing that it would be ready soon. Troops listened eagerly to their instructors, attacking wooden dummy or sparring with others. Arrows flew from bows, aimed for the wooden target while their partners offer "positive" feedback. Smithy's lined the training ground, producing weapons and armour by the hour. The Maestro smiled grimly, they would be ready.

30129353746_fdf7f02e9b_z.jpgThe Retaking of Eolas: Construction of a army by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

29535448963_46337c6245_z.jpgThe Retaking of Eolas: Construction of a army by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

29535533094_c4b68ec25e_z.jpgThe Retaking of Eolas: Construction of a army by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

Pretty straight forward build, I built this while building my minichallange builds so this didn't hang around for long. But anyway it was a fun build and I enjoyed building it after the complexity of Brofendurs Kitchen, which I still have to write a story for...
If you think this build is too simple then you should see what I just finished. ANGLES ARE HARD!!!! :p

The last saga chapter: The last straw

The next saga chapter: A heroes farewell

Edited by The Maestro

It may be small, but it's a lovely scene. I like the (weathered) roof as well as the smoke. As for the wall, I inicially thought it was a bit over-textured (for my personal taste, that is), but then realised it actually works pretty well - in particular, that bit of dark tan in it looks really nice ^^

This is a nice little build, with many great details. The wall works surprisingly well, given the amount of texturing, and even the multiple colors convincingly convey the idea of weathered stone--as I've never seen real stone all of a single uniform grey color. My favorite part is probably your archery target, though, but the smoke is also very well done. Good work!

This build is really nice. The walls are superb, and I also find that roof technique really interesting and cool. The grass growing near the wall is also a really nice detail. Again, if you need some help, Lys would always be glad to provide soldiers to a fellow Avalonian in fighting our common enemy.

Excellent wall texturing, and that archery target is quite clever :thumbup: Nice use of minifig arms for decoration in the border too :classic:

A very nice, and believable build! Even if I wouldn't want to be the one standing near the target seeing the previous shots :look: The wall looks great, the texture and colour giving a nice old, weathered look, as does the forge roof. Great build!

Great build, I love how you are evolving, and at an amzing pace! I cna remember where you came from, and than this! Awesome man, respect! Keep bricking! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, en_zoo said:

It may be small, but it's a lovely scene. I like the (weathered) roof as well as the smoke. As for the wall, I inicially thought it was a bit over-textured (for my personal taste, that is), but then realised it actually works pretty well - in particular, that bit of dark tan in it looks really nice ^^

I agree with all your points, im kind of trying (and probably failing miserably :hmpf_bad:) to copy a trend of stonework the other builders such as Derfel cadarn, legonardo, etc, etc although my stonework doesn't always come out right. 

14 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is a nice little build, with many great details. The wall works surprisingly well, given the amount of texturing, and even the multiple colors convincingly convey the idea of weathered stone--as I've never seen real stone all of a single uniform grey color. My favorite part is probably your archery target, though, but the smoke is also very well done. Good work!

Thanks Henjin, I love my details and they are often my favorite parts of the moc. I've been experimenting with that kind of smoke before and find it really effective.  

11 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

This build is really nice. The walls are superb, and I also find that roof technique really interesting and cool. The grass growing near the wall is also a really nice detail. Again, if you need some help, Lys would always be glad to provide soldiers to a fellow Avalonian in fighting our common enemy.

Glad you enjoy it Brandon,  Eolas is always in need if more soldiers to fight against those blasted vermin :laugh:

8 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Excellent wall texturing, and that archery target is quite clever :thumbup: Nice use of minifig arms for decoration in the border too :classic:

Thanks sk, The target was actually inspired by one of the older ninjago set, I can't remember the name of it though.

8 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

A very nice, and believable build! Even if I wouldn't want to be the one standing near the target seeing the previous shots :look: The wall looks great, the texture and colour giving a nice old, weathered look, as does the forge roof. Great build!

Ha, I agree with you there legofin, I was tempted to put the instructor a step closer to the target :grin:. I love that roof and will be using it in later builds.

7 hours ago, TitusV said:

Great build, I love how you are evolving, and at an amzing pace! I cna remember where you came from, and than this! Awesome man, respect! Keep bricking! :thumbup:

Thanks Titus for the kind words, this year has been a biggest improvement ever to think 9 months ago I was still truing to use rock work as stone work! :laugh: But the years not over yet with loads more builds planned.

3 hours ago, Mpyromaxos said:

Nice work with the wall! :classic:

Yeah that is defiantly one of my best uses of stone work.

Excellent build. The wall texturing is very nice, I especially like the touches of dark tan :thumbup: Great work with the smoke too, and the target design is quite clever :classic:

That stone pattern is nicely done, and there is a particular charm to the shack, with its shingled roof and smoke. Nice work!

On 13/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, LittleJohn said:

Excellent build. The wall texturing is very nice, I especially like the touches of dark tan :thumbup: Great work with the smoke too, and the target design is quite clever :classic:

Thanks LittleJohn, I love smoke like that and it should continue to appear in my mocs.

On 14/10/2016 at 4:54 PM, Blufiji said:

That stone pattern is nicely done, and there is a particular charm to the shack, with its shingled roof and smoke. Nice work!

Glad you like it blufiji, the shack was my favourite part as well.