just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21310 Old Fishing Store (Fall 2017)

The building is great, but the theme of fishing doesn't appeal to me. I'd probably make the inside into something else.

It wasn't that fun to build, especially the repetitive snot tiles. It doesn't fit with anything else in Town. The further one gets in to it the less awesome the piece selection seems (for those who buy sets for parts). 

Got this so far, into the city modular conversion, first floor. Kind of wishing I had just kept saving for Ninjago City. 

37374378761_c2fbc8df3e_b.jpg

37374378771_af0270f11e_b.jpg

37374378791_fe7e742678_b.jpg

37374378841_a0181c46a7_b.jpg

Might just scrap this, build it 16-wide and never look at or touch it again. Or sell it. 

I have mine already for a while displayed.

The setting, the colors and the details make a great atmosphere.

The shop assortiment triggers the imagination, with all displayed maritim items and some fun elements, like the not-so-ethical TNT. There are also some referrals to the movie Jaws, like the minifigure with sideburns can represent Sam Quint and the sticker with 'Boat Rentals' depicts a boat just like the Orca.

It's just fantastic that unlike on the preliminary picture seagulls were included!

I had a fun time building the base of the building and adding the details to the building. I can understand koalayummies opinion:

On 28-9-2017 at 6:58 PM, koalayummies said:

It wasn't that fun to build, especially the repetitive snot tiles. ... The further one gets in to it the less awesome the piece selection seems (for those who buy sets for parts).

but as it all adds to the final result it is rewarding as you see the building growing.

One thing I don't really like is the cross section of the upper part of the tower that is rectangular unlike the square cross section of the lower part of the tower. Depending on the point of view, especially from the side, it looks a bit off. I have still to get used to it.

Another thing that slightly bothers me is the two studs wide passage to the office. That's too narrow for minifigures.

It was interesting I got a newspaper tile, different that the classic one depicted on the box. It is one I had never seen before with a fireman on it, but with almost the same text: 'THE LEGO NEWS - The greatest hero ever' instead of the 'THE LEGO NEWS - The greatest LEGO hero ever'.

I'm very glad to have the Old Fishing Store and it adds character to my town (even though that one exists mainly in my fantasy).

Edited by Wesley D

On 25/10/2017 at 11:57 AM, Wesley D said:

It was interesting I got a newspaper tile, different that the classic one depicted on the box. It is one I had never seen before with a fireman on it, but with almost the same text: 'THE LEGO NEWS - The greatest hero ever' instead of the 'THE LEGO NEWS - The greatest LEGO hero ever'.

Oh, I want to see that!

I like this set, i really do.
But there's no way we can fit this into our city.
Only other solution would be to put this on display on its own, but that's no option for us, I'm afraid (the only exception being the Millennium Falcon... I mean... got to get that...).

Great set, though.