just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21310 Old Fishing Store (Fall 2017)

Not gonna lie, this was yet another submission that made me think, "Cool MOC bro, now put it on Flickr and leave Ideas to the stuff that might actually get produced." It does look great though, so hopefully the final set won't have to stray too far from the submission. I keep telling myself not to get any beach-themed sets because then I'll be tempted to build a whole new section of my LEGO town around them, but there are some good ones coming up and I don't know if I can hold out much longer!

3 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Oh, wow. That's great news. Now they only need to exchange the owl for a seagull.

As I said earlier, have a look at the updates for the project, there they exchanged the owl with 3 seagulls. They also included 4 minifigs as some other people where wondering about. This chances make sense and I expect Lego will do more or less the same :wink:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/124448/updates

What a beautiful set this will be! Proud of having been one of the 10,000 supporters. :classic: This is going to look amazing in any LEGO Town! Massive congrats to the designer on a job well done!

As others have said this looked like a great MOC but not destined for Ideas release due to it's size and seemingly complicated build.

I'm so glad this is getting released. I don't regularly buy City or Modular buildings but one of my favourite sets is my Haunted Mansion and the Old Fishing Store will certainly be getting added to my Lego collection.

I'm really happy this set has been chosen and really excited for what this decision means for future Ideas reviews.

This was by far the best lego set in this review stage. I'm surprised yet so happy lego chose this set! It would work well in all lego city harbours.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it close to the original version.

Hope it's out in time for double points next October

If LEGO includes minifigures, will they be yellow or flesh?

I would assume yellow, but the Idea itself utilizes flesh colors. 

Has this happened before with an IDEAS set, with an unlicensed Idea using flesh figures? I don't recall.

Anyways, this seems really cool. I'll probably buy it, depending on the price. I'm still behind on the Modulars, so who knows.

36 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

If LEGO includes minifigures, will they be yellow or flesh?

I would assume yellow, but the Idea itself utilizes flesh colors. 

Has this happened before with an IDEAS set, with an unlicensed Idea using flesh figures? I don't recall.

TLG has been pretty consistently using flesh only for themes/sets where real people are represented, so I'd assume they'll use "normal" yellow figures. Also, some previous non-licensed Ideas sets have used "yellowies" (or should we call them "yellies" :grin:).

1 minute ago, Rick said:

TLG has been pretty consistently using flesh only for themes/sets where real people are represented, so I'd assume they'll use "normal" yellow figures. Also, some previous non-licensed Ideas sets have used "yellowies" (or should we call them "yellies" :grin:).

Yes, that's my assumption as well.

I was trying to account for the accuracy of the original submitted idea.

I just remembered also that the Exo Suit had Fleshies in the original Idea, and LEGO changed them to Yellies, so I think that's the answer I was looking for.

I would have never imagined such a set being released as a LEGO Ideas set. I'm pleasantly surprised, this may actually be the first of the fan made creations I'll be getting. Looks like it has tons of potential.

So happy with the choice after last quarter disappointed.  I will definitely pick this up when it is released. 

Very nice, and good news!

I will wait and check out the final product (and price), but it has the potential to be my first Ideas set. :)

Glad to see that one of the ideas I supported actually won! I usually end up supporting sets that are too big or expensive to make it this far. Congrats to the designer and hopefully the end product doesn't stray too far from the original.

On 10/6/2016 at 0:36 PM, shaggysanchez said:

My only question though is will the final set be similar to what the model currently is or will it end up being just the facade similar to a city set and not be a full enclosed building.  

In my honest opinion, I couldn't see TLG turning it into a facade for a number of reasons:

•As a Lego Ideas set there is only so much altercations that TLG can undertake. It is, after all, another persons set. It would take significant changes to turn this set into a facade and doing so would greatly compromise the integrity of the set not to mention undermine all that Lego Ideas is about.

•The Lego Creator City sets (which are the ones I assume you're talking about) have a very specific feel about them. A vibe, so to speak, that screams small city. This set also has a feel to it, but it's more of the small run down coastal fishing town vibe. Even if TLG group made this set compatible with the City sets, it just wouldn't fit in. It'd stick out like a sore thumb. 

Those are my thoughts on why I don't think you have anything to worry about. It would greatly surprise me if they reformatted it to fit with the city sets, but hey! great surprises aren't impossible as seen by the mere production of this set. 

Edited by Brick_Classics

30 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I might buy it. However, given the likely high parts count, I can only imagine the price tag will be over $200.

I really dont think it will be that expensive. I dont know the piece count, but it looks slightly smaller than most modular buildings, and it doesnt have many minifigures. I would guess it will be closer to 150 USD/Euros.

Thank you very much for the video and the pic, just2good! :classic:

That MOC does look really good!

Whether I'll buy it or not does depend on how City-compatible it'll be. If it turned out to be a more City-ish set, then yes, but if it was a more some sort of CC styled set, then no.

Anyway I find it very positive that TLG the first time releases a non-licensed building in the Ideas theme which even does go with an already existing theme (either City, Creator or CC styled buildings)! Therefore it's the first set that awaked my interest. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

This is great news! Although its not the same style building, for some reason it reminds me of Quint's shop from "Jaws".  I hope it becomes a 2/3's size Modular.  I would love to see tall (but not as tall as a standard Modular) 1 story and/or 2 story modular buildings.  I like the "big city" Modular buildings, but it would be nice to have a different size store and home front line of Modulars for something like a coastal town.  

I'm excited. I really like this one and, like others have said, am surprised that Lego went with it.

Add me to the list of those that are surprised. This has potential to be a GREAT addition to a large modular diorama. I will most likely be picking this one up. 

Thanks being said... I am floored that LEGO has dropped the ball on some of the past dino themed Ideas. I'm not talking just Jurassic Park either. I was in LOVE with the Fossil Museum and for sure thought that one would win. There were plenty of others too that were worthy of becoming a set. My only thought is that they already have some sets coming down the line in the near future (ex: Hellicarrier and GB House) and this is why none of them have passed. 

When I watched the video, I couldn't believe my eyes. I'd never have thought that such a great set could actually be produced. So, a very very positive surprise! I'll most definitely get my copy.