I would like to know if anyone of you found any compact replacement assembly of pair of bevel gears in setup shown below?

legobevl.jpg

I want to build alternative model out of set 42036 (motorbike) that doesn't contain any bevel or crown gear but I need to turn driven axle by 90 degrees. Do you have any idea how to do it only with parts from set 42036?

Thanks

Edited by Tomik

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking.  The newer 12t bevels can be used instead of the 14t ones pictured.  Also, there are knob wheels:

32072.t2.png

Or self-contained gearboxes:

45360.t2.png

Do you count those as being "not crown or bevel gears"?  But what is your objection to crown or bevel gears?

7 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking.  The newer 12t bevels can be used instead of the 14t ones pictured.  Also, there are knob wheels:

Or self-contained gearboxes:

Do you count those as being "not crown or bevel gears"?  But what is your objection to crown or bevel gears?

Thanks for reply. I need to need to turn driven axle by 90 degrees just with help of part from set 42036. I doesn't contain any knob wheels eather...

Edited by Tomik

With given parts that is possible. Not for high-torque applications, not so compact, but it's working. I think some better solution is possible too.

30033422942_052dd47a9a_c.jpg

30033422842_3c148aea6f_c.jpg

Edited by Victor Imaginator

41 minutes ago, Victor Imaginator said:

With given parts that is possible. Not for high-torque applications, not so compact, but it's working. I think some better solution is possible too.

Thank you, Victor. It looks clever and compact enough. I will use it for driving fake engine by wheels so it is minimal torque.

1 hour ago, Tomik said:

Thanks for reply. I need to need to turn driven axle by 90 degrees just with help of part from set 42036. I doesn't contain any knob wheels eather...

I see.   Maybe a gear in contact with the side of the tire?

18 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

I see.   Maybe a gear in contact with the side of the tire?

It sounds interesting too. I will try it but I'm affraid it will grind tire and damage it.

For a low torque applicaton? I don't think a gear on the tire would damage it, but if you're that worried, I'd say wrap the gear in chain links. Or, you could see if you really need the 90 degree connection, I'm not certain you do.

22 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

The requirement that it has to be done with parts from 42036 only, makes this a kind of puzzle. And I think it's very clever how Victor solved this puzzle, but I wouldn't regard it as a compact solution though. Thin 12t bevel gears take only 6 square studs (for rotating parts) to make a 90 degree mesh. Normal 20t bevel gears and knob gears would take up to 15 square studs to do the same. But this solution takes 51 square studs of space.

If this is what it would take to make a C-model out of this set, I would suggest reconsidering all options. Maybe you can do without a 90 degree mesh after all.

Edited by Didumos69

I want to build dragster and it would look pretty strange if it has engine crankshaft perpendicular to axis of vehicle... Victor's solution needs 7 studs of space between liftarms and I think I can handle it.

I was thinking about using flex axles instead of universal joints but I'm not sure it would work properly and for long time without damaging  ends of axles.

Edited by Tomik

6 hours ago, Tomik said:

I want to build dragster and it would look pretty strange if it has engine crankshaft perpendicular to axis of vehicle... 

Boom:

942610_597054756992395_549232162_n-640x2

This little beauty has a 4 cylinder motercycle engine, just like what you're trying to build. Apparently, mounting the engine like this is called "Sidewinder" style.

Edit: I had a quick Google of that term, and apparently this engine configuration is not uncommon in small dragsters with motorcycle engines. Also, you're building a dragster with a four cylinder engine, it's going to look pretty weird no matter what.

Edited by Saberwing40k

On 7. 10. 2016 at 4:52 PM, Saberwing40k said:

This little beauty has a 4 cylinder motercycle engine, just like what you're trying to build. Apparently, mounting the engine like this is called "Sidewinder" style.

Edit: I had a quick Google of that term, and apparently this engine configuration is not uncommon in small dragsters with motorcycle engines. Also, you're building a dragster with a four cylinder engine, it's going to look pretty weird no matter what.

Thank you. I haven't known about sidewinder style dragsters. This information may solve this whole problem with no bevel gears in way that I don't need them at all. 4 cylinder engine is not bad. It's much better than 2 cylinder engine... :classic:

You can also try using ribbed 7mm hose, like Nico did in his recent rally car. It won't handle much torque. Without further friction in transfer system it might work quite well.

7 hours ago, zux said:

You can also try using ribbed 7mm hose, like Nico did in his recent rally car. It won't handle much torque. Without further friction in transfer system it might work quite well.

That would be a good idea. Like Nico71 said, that was the official use of ribbed hoses.

legopatentribbedhose-a6358.png

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Too bad these parts are not covered by the 42036 set, haha:

Ironically, I had not thought of that!  I'm surprised that the Hobson coupling is not being adopted for motorcycles and dragsters everywhere... :tongue:

Have you any idea what kind of torque a dragster puts out? I think that hobson coupling can't actually handle that much torque.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Have you any idea what kind of torque a dragster puts out? I think that hobson coupling can't actually handle that much torque.

The emoji would be the clue that it was a joke... :wink:

Flex axle solution. Less parts, less compact, can transfer rotation only in one direction, but can handle surprisingly more torque.

30333112245_df26600edd_c.jpg

Important to connect flex axles with one end coaxial, another end - with offset. Not one axle coaxial, another axle with offset.

2 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Flex axle solution. Less parts, less compact, can transfer rotation only in one direction, but can handle surprisingly more torque.

Important to connect flex axles with one end coaxial, another end - with offset. Not one axle coaxial, another axle with offset.

How inventive again!!!:thumbup:

Edited by Didumos69

Guys, seriously i just can't stop...

30253670711_5fb67f2bb4_c.jpg

Rotation is uneven, but it's smaller than flex axles and can handle torque. Also, this solution is more pricese than flex axles - 360 degree at input will be 360 at output.