Capn Frank

[OL-FB] The Demon Sea Turtle

The refugees brought with them their naval technology of the Turtle Ship and shared it with the Oleon Royal Navy. 

This 5HA packs quite punch in the far West. It has been purported that a small fleet of these vessels took on a much larger fleet outnumbered 10 to 1  without loosing a single vessel.  

30035646831_52b16e0923_c.jpg

When this vessel enters into combat, the two junk sails are taken down and the masts swept back.

30035646051_388a16074f_c.jpg

29824677700_5f31325376_c.jpg

Additional Photos:

30035645701_1833633429_c.jpg

30035646451_163f40d72c_c.jpg

My daughter wanted a picture with the ship. :grin: 

30119778665_dc6116e728_c.jpg

30035647551_fa771b45bc_c.jpg

Impressive build! I also like the choice of subject: this is clearly not the typical sail-ship you see every day. :classic::thumbup:

Lovely turtle there. I got a soft spot for "oriental" designs :D

Historically though, the Far East did not partake in much seafaring. Such a vessel was used mainly in coastal defence, primarily Korea by to repel Japanese invasions.

It worked well to counter melee and boarding, since Japanese ships were not as maneuverable or heavily armed as European ships.

In the BoBs setting though, a turtle ship probably couldn't make the journey to the nearest offshore colony :p

A great looking turtle ship - instantly recognisable. I love the yellow spikes! Great job!

I never thought about a Korean turtle ship in BoBS. Brilliant! And well done, too! I love the figurehead!

Excellent idea and even better implementation!!! Fitting colors, nice dragon head and all! Very glad to see it finished! But pleeeeease, get that Ariel off the ship!!!!!! hahahahahahaha 

And last but not least, that ship is another reminder that we, Oleanders, innovate in many things (although not always to the right technological direction :pir-tongue:)

What a brilliant idea, and well executed too! I am not familiar with the style of ship, but from a purely aesthetic point of view it looks great. It is almost like a small fort floating on to of a barge, and I hadn't realised quite how big it is until I saw your useful size comparison photograph :pir-laugh:

That looks absolutely awesome! I love the idea, and it is so nice executed! :thumbup: keep it up!

I love this! I wish it was part of the Sea Rat fleet, but at least we can appreciate it as we attack and sink it :pir-sweet:

Thank you for the complements. :pir-classic: 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:28 PM, CelesAurivern said:

Historically though, the Far East did not partake in much seafaring.

I think what you mean is that the Far East consistently did not partake in much seafaring.  The Chinese had Treasure Voyages from 1405 to 1433 that would have made Vasco De Gamma's "fleet" cower back to Portugal. :pir-wink: 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:28 PM, CelesAurivern said:

Such a vessel was used mainly in coastal defence, primarily Korea by to repel Japanese invasions.

You are correct.  This ship was designed from the ground up to repel Japanese vessels along the coast.  You have to admit though, it's not very often where smaller, fewer naval vessels take on a much larger fleet and win.

20 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

But pleeeeease, get that Ariel off the ship!!!!!!

My daughter likes to help take pictures. :grin:
Her influence is going to stay until she no longer likes playing Lego with daddy. :pir-tongue: 

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I wish it was part of the Sea Rat fleet, but at least we can appreciate it as we attack and sink it :pir-sweet:

Good luck. :devil_laugh:

Phred, I love it that your daughter likes playing Lego with daddy! My oldest daughter has always been embarrassed by my hobby, and my youngest has outgrown playing with Lego except to steal borrow the occasional cool CMF from me. Ariel on the turtle ship works for me! :pir-laugh:

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I love this! I wish it was part of the Sea Rat fleet, but at least we can appreciate it as we attack and sink it :pir-sweet:

We'll have one.  It's just Phredit was first to launch.  :wink: