Ashi Valkoinen

9V Train Track Geoemtry Article

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

in the last month I was working on three articles written in Hungarian language to use it as a standard for our train fan community. Last week I decided to translate it to English as well, and here it is for all those who needs advice on simply layouts, ideas for train station geometries and possible usages of Holger Matthes' long radius curves built from straight tracks.

The three main sections of article (from original Hungarian articles) are the following:

1. Basic geometry rules and simple tricks - mostly based on Bill Ward's article on Brickpile, but including some own ideas

2. Station geometries - ideas for small, simple stations, station with through lines, building connections between parallel lines, using flextrack in 9V-setting, widening distance between tracks for platforms

3. Long radius curves built from straight tracks: ideas to use these not only in full loops, but at station geometries as well.

Article contains URL to .bbm file as well to download it (made in BlueBrick version 1.8.1.).

Article is at my Google Drive, since Brickshelf didn't allow me to upload in .pdf format: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2pGVpZyXf5hYU1SUGp5LWNzeWM/view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great document,

would you mind if I posted this on our Club Website in our resources section? You will get full recognition for this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great!

Have you seen Michael Gale's L-gauge.org, by the way? Another good resource for LEGO railway building.

I also wrote an article on LEGO track geometry when I think Bill Pile's brilliant article was offline for some time. A few of my own ideas in there too.

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BricksMcgee said:

This is great!

Have you seen Michael Gale's L-gauge.org, by the way? Another good resource for LEGO railway building.

I also wrote an article on LEGO track geometry when I think Bill Pile's brilliant article was offline for some time. A few of my own ideas in there too.

Richard

Hello Richard,

thanks for these additional resources. I knew L-gauge.org, but it was new for me to see those new geoemtries using different radius curves (R56,R72,R88 and R104), they are fantastic. Also thanks for placing an URL to my .pdf and Brickshelf as well, it was very nice of you, just as those small and simple track designs you shared on your site. I think I always forget those who have less space for layouts and I always plan for 4-6 metres long stations (at least, but my dream is a proportional hungarian station with 15-16 metres tracks between points :) )

Also I feel a little worried about R56,R72,R88 and R104 geometries, ME-models seems out of stock for months by now, and Bricktracks got only 1/20 of needed founds on Kickstarter after 5 days (maybe people disappointed in ME-models won't risk again), so I don't really know when people can order such curves for their layouts again. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Also I feel a little worried about R56,R72,R88 and R104 geometries, ME-models seems out of stock for months by now, and Bricktracks got only 1/20 of needed founds on Kickstarter after 5 days (maybe people disappointed in ME-models won't risk again), so I don't really know when people can order such curves for their layouts again. :(

Indeed.  For all the emails I had gotten about when I would finally start the Kickstarter, it sure has been quiet.  Time for a media blitz I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2016 at 0:46 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Also thanks for placing an URL to my .pdf and Brickshelf as well, it was very nice of you, just as those small and simple track designs you shared on your site. I think I always forget those who have less space for layouts and I always plan for 4-6 metres long stations (at least, but my dream is a proportional hungarian station with 15-16 metres tracks between points :) )

Also I feel a little worried about R56,R72,R88 and R104 geometries, ME-models seems out of stock for months by now, and Bricktracks got only 1/20 of needed founds on Kickstarter after 5 days (maybe people disappointed in ME-models won't risk again), so I don't really know when people can order such curves for their layouts again. :(

No worries. 

Yeah, ME Models are a bit slow. I have some now (plastic, not 9V) and they're very good quality though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi AshiV,

have you considered to also add none 9V Tracks, actually there is only one: double crossover ?

Did you also have plans to add modified tracks, like modified points?

Anyway thanks for the great compilation of Lego track geometries.

BR,

Guenther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Günther,

I don't plan to extend this article with PF/RC train tracks - using the 100% plastic system and having the flexible track piece there are much more options to create a layout and a station geometry I focused on, while the track geometry is very limited with metallic 9V tracks. I tried to give ideas to those who prefer 9V-system over PF/RC. Double crossover gives a lot of options (switching between tracks on mainline) in less space, but since it is really easy to use it (and you have only one option to use it between two parallel tracks with 16 studs offset), there is no need to mention it.

The same goes for modified points - if some does the modification he/she will exactly know where this modded point will go, writing an article about these will interest much less people.

Except the well-known and widely used modification of 9V point I tried to show geometries with standard tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Hello Günther,

I don't plan to extend this article with PF/RC train tracks - using the 100% plastic system and having the flexible track piece there are much more options to create a layout and a station geometry I focused on, while the track geometry is very limited with metallic 9V tracks. I tried to give ideas to those who prefer 9V-system over PF/RC. Double crossover gives a lot of options (switching between tracks on mainline) in less space, but since it is really easy to use it (and you have only one option to use it between two parallel tracks with 16 studs offset), there is no need to mention it.

The same goes for modified points - if some does the modification he/she will exactly know where this modded point will go, writing an article about these will interest much less people.

Except the well-known and widely used modification of 9V point I tried to show geometries with standard tracks.

Hi AshiV,

ok I see, thanks for the clarification.

BR, Günther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.