6 minutes ago, Superkalle said:

This is exactly the reason why we don't discuss these sort of things here in the forum. Not only is it against the EULA to reverse engineering the LIF and start fiddling around in the files, but it is also messes up the discussions since we get "issues" reported that has nothing to do with the core program and brickset. It only leads to confusion. 

Sorry to be so harsh, but please don't discuss and bring up issues here in the forum related to or caused by fiddling around with the internals.

That seems fair. Where should I go instead?

15 minutes ago, BrokenEye said:

That seems fair. Where should I go instead?

I don't know to be honest. And even if I did, I couldn't post it for obvious reasons. 

16 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Nope, they were all there before (“motor icon” is actually the “Electric Parts” category, and “tail fin icon,” “Transportation Means, Vehicles”).

Superkalle’s picture contains all the new parts in 2248 (ditto for previous pictures for previous updates). It’s rather easy to verify in the .lif.

Huh, I never saw them before this last update, thank you for clearing that up and for the technical names of those sections.  Is there a place that has all of the technical names of the sections?

I must of mist seeing the updates that had the pieces I mentioned.  I was just happy to get these pieces but now I feel stupid knowing they were there this whole time, lol.

@Brick_Classics, your welcome.  Thank you for being so courteous, it is likewise appreciated.

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

Got it working on my other computer. Looks like they finally made all the flexible tubes actually capable of being flexed. That's pretty awesome. The piece of string still isn't flexible, though. Most of the neck pieces (excluding capes) now fit correctly too.

Anyone know what the heck "Design element 2x6x2.33" (that weird organic-looking tube thing) is supposed to be?

Edited by BrokenEye

8 hours ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

Is there a place that has all of the technical names of the sections?

Brickset lists them as “Categories” in their database (but that doesn’t help with LDD :grin:). Otherwise, they are in the .lif.

And, actually, it appears that LDD merges multiple categories under each of its icons. So, describing the icon might be the easiest way after all :wink:

9 hours ago, RAKRONDEWL said:

I was just happy to get these pieces but now I feel stupid knowing they were there this whole time, lol.

I think we have all known that feeling once or twice :wink:

4 hours ago, BrokenEye said:

Got it working on my other computer. Looks like they finally made all the flexible tubes actually capable of being flexed. That's pretty awesome.

Dang! That also means they won’t be importable/exportable to LDraw anymore. :sceptic:

4 hours ago, BrokenEye said:

Anyone know what the heck "Design element 2x6x2.33" (that weird organic-looking tube thing) is supposed to be?

BrickLink has it under the name “Scorpion Tail.” Used in the “Scorpion” Minifig (super villain or something).

23 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Dang! That also means they won’t be importable/exportable to LDraw anymore. :sceptic:

Is that used for the same sort of thing as the POVray converter? I'm sure they'll have an update or something soon.

24 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

BrickLink has it under the name “Scorpion Tail.” Used in the “Scorpion” Minifig (super villain or something).

Oh, I thought it was maybe some part of some Gigerian alien hive or something, but that's much more in keeping with Lego's usual character

28 minutes ago, BrokenEye said:

Is that used for the same sort of thing as the POVray converter? I'm sure they'll have an update or something soon.

No, even though you can export LDraw to POVRay afterward, I’m not talking about POVRay, I’m talking about LDD’s LDraw import/export feature (see this thread :wink:). Since 4.3.9, flexible parts aren’t imported/exported anymore, even unflexed. They were in 4.3.8.

Nonetheless, it’s not actually a problem because the only parts that gained flexibility weren’t im/exportable either (“Outercables”) and the other tubes, strings, belts, and rods are still not flexible (Spiral Tube w. Flange, the so well named Flex Tube 12M, Flex Rods 14M, 16M, 19M…).

21 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

No, even though you can export LDraw to POVRay afterward, I’m not talking about POVRay, I’m talking about LDD’s LDraw import/export feature (see this thread :wink:). Since 4.3.9, flexible parts aren’t imported/exported anymore, even unflexed. They were in 4.3.8.

Nonetheless, it’s not actually a problem because the only parts that gained flexibility weren’t im/exportable either (“Outercables”) and the other tubes, strings, belts, and rods are still not flexible (Spiral Tube w. Flange, the so well named Flex Tube 12M, Flex Rods 14M, 16M, 19M…).

Well, yeah, no, obviously they aren't the same program. I was just wondering if it was used for the same sort of thing. Which is to say, re-rendering LDD models with better, more impressive graphics than what LDD has to offer so they look more impressive when you wanna show them off. That same general sort of thing. It's that same general sort of thing, right?

Edited by BrokenEye

You can export LDraw to POVRay (or other formats) to render them. But LDraw is parallel to LDD. It’s a file format used to create virtual LEGO models. Exporting from LDD to LDraw enables you to use the many LDraw tools: model editors (with a lot more parts than LDD), instruction manual creators, model generators…. It’s not only about better renders.

7 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

You can export LDraw to POVRay (or other formats) to render them. But LDraw is parallel to LDD. It’s a file format used to create virtual LEGO models. Exporting from LDD to LDraw enables you to use the many LDraw tools: model editors (with a lot more parts than LDD), instruction manual creators, model generators…. It’s not only about better renders.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. That's pretty cool.

Edited by BrokenEye

On 10/7/2016 at 2:35 PM, The Mugbearer said:

[image]

Gee thanks LEGO. Could've at least acknowledged my suggestions...

I just got the LDD 4.3.10 update, and rushed over to Eurobricks to find a thread about it. I read your posts in this topic about the palette scrolling bug, and I dug up this e-mail response I got from LEGO back in June 2014:

Thanks for getting in touch with us regarding the problem you were having with LEGO(r) Digital Designer, (LDD.)
I have heard back from our Digital Development team. Unfortunately, the issue you mentioned, the lack of scrolling, is a known issue since our last update. They're working on it and it should be resolved with a future update, but we can't estimate the time. I do so apologize for the inconvenience.
If you have an earlier version of LDD that you can restore, I might do so. That way you can continue to have full functionality while we work to resolve the programming issue. Once again, I thank you for your feedback.

Sorry if it isn't very helpful, but I thought you might want to see it anyway.

On 08/10/2016 at 1:27 PM, Superkalle said:

This is exactly the reason why we don't discuss these sort of things here in the forum. Not only is it against the EULA to reverse engineering the LIF and start fiddling around in the files, but it is also messes up the discussions since we get "issues" reported that has nothing to do with the core program and brickset. It only leads to confusion. 

Sorry to be so harsh, but please don't discuss and bring up issues here in the forum related to or caused by fiddling around with the internals.

Mine apparently hung up on a read-only .pdf file that I'd saved in the installation directory it seems; nothing to do with modding - once I removed that and redid the installation all was ok.

About parts: my own most expected parts list was well reduced. So YMMV as they say :grin:

About features: LEGO has long said LDD was discontinued. Parts update are all that can be expected now. And even that was in question before 4.3.9 came, and still in doubt before 4.3.10 (was 4.3.9 the swan song?).

If LEGO considers LDD discontinued and only new parts are supported, maybe they can consider making one thing open: ability to create and add custom parts like LDraw. Users versed in 3D CAD could then create custom or export LDraw files to LDD format and share it.  I would love to see full Monorail stuff so 3 sets and 2 expansion tracks can be added to LDD sets plus a lot of early technic parts like 1xn plates, early steering elements, etc so some early Technic sets can also be done.

Right now it's not open and adding custom parts are not supported or permitted on this forum. People can share picture but not the modified file or how-to instruction.

Maybe it is only new to me, but I just figured out (accidentaly), that you can rotate the parts in the catalog as well by dragging them with right click.

Is this a new feature?

11 minutes ago, agrof said:

Maybe it is only new to me, but I just figured out (accidentaly), that you can rotate the parts in the catalog as well by dragging them with right click.

Is this a new feature?

No, this has been a feature as long as I can remember.

18 minutes ago, agrof said:

Is this a new feature?

Thanks for posting! I'd never discovered this feature before!

On 24/10/2016 at 10:51 PM, agrof said:

Is this a new feature?

Thanks for posting about such a cool feature, not noticed by many before!

A worry on open-sourcing the program would be something along the lines of people creating "bricks" that in reality are just custom pieces, creating in a sense a regular CAD program. This would be a problem because it really wouldn't be "LDD" anymore.

51 minutes ago, monkeyjay2003 said:

A worry on open-sourcing the program would be something along the lines of people creating "bricks" that in reality are just custom pieces, creating in a sense a regular CAD program. This would be a problem because it really wouldn't be "LDD" anymore.

Perhaps, but then, perhaps someone might decide to step up and maintain a definitive version that's up-to-date but loyal to the product's original intentions. Considering the current userbase consists mostly of people who'd want it to remain a LEGO program, but with a more complete part list, that doesn't seem terribly unlikely.

1 hour ago, monkeyjay2003 said:

I don’t see a lot of custom bricks for LDraw out there. :sceptic: