Hi all!

At the end of June I've visited Fana'Briques, where I saw version 9 of PG52's adjustable spirograph. Based on some pictures I've taken, and some help of PG52 (merci beaucoup! :-) ), I have finally finished a replica of the model:

It's very stable and runs very fluently (only requires one M-motor to turn all the gears!).
I used a simulator in JavaScript to check if my model did the same as the one at Fana'Briques did. The gearbox of the model also has been created already in Ldraw.
Those files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6rVwJJ-wpyRRDNINkdJeUlnTDQ?resourcekey=0-nAIq3XumlLtvCi2NPbZLHg&usp=sharing

Happy drawing!
Kind regards,
Joris

Edited by GBC Master
Updated public link to drive directory

10 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

Now, if only someone would make a full LDraw model of it, we could together make instructions for it, just like we did with V4. That was some great teamwork back then :laugh:

Well... I can do the large turntable quite easily. If someone wants to model the arms in LDraw, I can provide some detailed pictures.

It really seems a fun thing to do, as there are very few straight angles in it :grin:

2 minutes ago, GBC Master said:

Well... I can do the large turntable quite easily. If someone wants to model the arms in LDraw, I can provide some detailed pictures.

It really seems a fun thing to do, as there are very few straight angles in it :grin:

I'm sure that someone who knows LDCad and its lesser known features (like Philo or maybe me) can do the arms quite easily. LDCad is quite a powerful tool.

This is awesome, I remember him saying that there was a V9 but it was never published. So so cool! 

Hey ! Thanks for sharing Joris :)

I planned to present it a long time ago, and well I never did. Now I don't have the spirograph with me but Joris managed to recreate it perfectly :wink:

This version is quite like an achievement for this project as it works really well and uses only one M-motor to draw (it can work 3 times faster than in the video with less than the power of a M-motor, still drawing fluently. The limit is more likely to be the pen ^^).

Next improvement, maybe, would be to use the new circle quarters of the BWE, but I won't be able to try it before months. Of course, feel free to try it, this is a community build now :) 

I'm glad that you like it !

Edited by PG52

22 hours ago, legolijntje said:

Now, if only someone would make a full LDraw model of it, we could together make instructions for it, just like we did with V4. That was some great teamwork back then

Yeah, the people who worked on that were awesome.

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

Yeah, the people who worked on that were awesome.

Oh really? :tongue:

In other news... I have added some pictures of the arms to the 'replica' directory. I've also added an .ldr for the base of the large turntable, but couldn't find the tyres that go on the 'Wheel Rim 8x11.2 with Centre Groove' though.

1 hour ago, GBC Master said:

Oh really? :tongue:

In other news... I have added some pictures of the arms to the 'replica' directory. I've also added an .ldr for the base of the large turntable, but couldn't find the tyres that go on the 'Wheel Rim 8x11.2 with Centre Groove' though.

You mean part 50951? Also, you seem to use the wrong light grey color in your LDraw files. You need to use "Light Bluish Gray" (I believe LDraw code 71 or 72). You did the dark bluish grey right though.

I'll see if I have some time tomorrow to try to model the arms

On 10/3/2016 at 6:17 PM, PG52 said:

Hey ! Thanks for sharing Joris :)

You're welcome :classic: It was really fun to guess all the parts based on some 50 shades of black pictures :tongue:

On 10/3/2016 at 10:51 PM, legolijntje said:

You mean part 50951? Also, you seem to use the wrong light grey color in your LDraw files. You need to use "Light Bluish Gray" (I believe LDraw code 71 or 72). You did the dark bluish grey right though.

I'll see if I have some time tomorrow to try to model the arms

It was actually part 51011, but you got me in the right direction. Thanks! I have added the turntable to the model and put everything in an .mpd file. Also updated the colours of the grey parts.

Yet to be done:
- On the drawing board, 2 rubber bands need to be added to the clamps. They go from the axle towball inside up and over the 2x2 cross block.
- The chain on the input that goes around the 3 24t gears needs to be routed around the wedge belt instead of going through. 

A wonderful piece of work (again)!  I'm impressed at how you managed to make your own geared turntable before the advent of the new Bucket wheel parts!

Looking forward to instructions coming together...

Joris, Thank you for 9V post!! I would very much like to open the MPD of this MOC, but all I can do is open an image of it in LDVIEW.  Can you email it to me? or post it differently? I would like to open/ save it in MLCAD or LPUB 3D. I've been following this topic for years but suddenly (and mysteriously) only this week started getting emails about it. So I missed this the first time around. Thanks very much!! 1963maniac

Hey GBC Master, If you have the LDR files from which the MPD was made, I would be happy to produce the building instructions.Thanks PG52 for the LDD file. I love these spirographs! I made version 4 a couple years ago. I have always wanted to be able to build a higher version one. Thanks guys!!

PG52, I was wondering if you have any more pictures videos or et cetera. I have begun working on the building instructions. I've gotten 1/3 done over the past 2 days. You and GBC Master did all the hard work already. I will post here when it's done. Thanks for whatever else you can post!

Here are a few pics I took that could help to build the display part of the build :) I couldn't make those bright enough but in gives an idea of the build.

A V10 will probably come along, I have almost all the ideas, just have to build it !

The building instructions are done. I just have to build it tomorrow, to make sure they actually work. After 4 long days of work, MLCAD crashed and took all my progress away. It took 2 more days to do it again. 8 more days and I'm done, maybe. It's kind of strange to make building instructions for something I haven't built yet. I was thinking of posting this on Rebrickable (with credits to PG52 and GBC Master) and post a link to it here. Sound good?

It's fine by me :) Congrats (and thanks !) for achieving the instructions, such a long time-consuming process !

thanks you so much for doing that. I'm definitly waiting for the building instructions.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, roppie11 said:

thanks you so much for doing that. I'm definitly waiting for the building instructions.

Me too:sweet:

I have the building Instructions done, but I can't seem to get it uploaded to Bricksafe and then onto Rebrickable. I may have uploaded it to MOC Pages. I built mine with BWE gears and 60 tooth turntables under the arms. I was getting graphs with giggly lines before the modification.

16 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

I have the building Instructions done, but I can't seem to get it uploaded to Bricksafe and then onto Rebrickable. I may have uploaded it to MOC Pages. I built mine with BWE gears and 60 tooth turntables under the arms. I was getting graphs with giggly lines before the modification.

What seems to be the problem with Bricksafe?  Let me know if you need help.

Blakbird, Thanks for your attention to this matter. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, 1. From windows explorer, dragging and dropping to my bricksafe page doesn't work. It opens the PDF on a webpage but I don't know what to do with it. 2. When I browse to the file and open it, it does not show the file name in the dialog box and then click on "upload file", it shows that it's downloading from 0%- 100%. But it simply says invalid parameters when it's done. 3.Also, nothing happens when I try to "create a new page".  4. Moc pages didn't work either.

Edited by 1963maniac
added more