Bley Harvest

75153 AT-ST modification

8 hours ago, Forresto said:

Huge modification. I changed the face so that there was an angle which I was inspired by from Anothergol's model. The chasis and legs are different. The legs aren't final this is just a prototype to see if this puppy will stand. Next mod will be to make shorter legs and get this more movie accurate. 

@LiLmeFromDaFuture Sorry it took so long, between the dreadful election nonsense and work I lost track of time. I finally found the hinge joint for the other leg and made a mockup. The chasis and the way the legs connect are heavily inspired by yours with slight modification. The legs are in fact fairly stable. 

Fantastic updates!  The rework on the head makes it better proportioned, which dramatically improves its profile on all views, especially the sides.  I also find what you went for with the vent detail, on the rear of the chassis, interesting.

Lastly to mention, as anothergol has done so, you can stiffen the articulation of the inter-leg joint between the chassis and legs, by reconstructing it with these elements:

61053.png

98613c01.png

On 11/11/2016 at 4:58 PM, PaulPrime said:

Nice job on the ankles, Richpepperel! I am also experimenting with balljoints but on top of the feet. The feet and ankles were not designed by me, but I don't remember who was the nice guy who shared the LFX.

Hi, that would be me. Thread still here:

Comparison pic with, at the lower-right, the ultimate target (Bandai's snapkit)

29939712743_857e1c4b95_z_d.jpg

Edited by anothergol

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

Hi, that would be me. Thread still here:

Yes, you are. Thank you very much for sharing the files. I made some minor changes in the "toes" but credit is totally yours.

By the way, with that last update from Forresto, is that still a modification or did you already trespassed the line to MOC area?

Edited by PaulPrime

Greetings, 

I now have finally modded my 75153 and like many others many design features have been used from the mods seen here. 

Front 3/4:

30334561134_a21a4e7801_o_d.jpg

Front:

30334557204_f66d463301_o_d.jpg

Side:

30334563064_b75370431d_o_d.jpg

Head:

30788139300_b1e6676856_k_d.jpg

Legs:

31041497181_1fcd2d081f_o_d.jpg

Cockpit Rear 3/4:

31012235002_6cda5611d5_k_d.jpg

Cockpit Front 3/4:

30334556284_49f0648032_k_d.jpg

Cockpit Top View:

30334556604_ef6a72a137_k_d.jpg

I hope you liked my mods and if you have any questions about the build or suggestions please do so.

Edited by MaxTube55
Fixed Images.

i've made some mods in my at-st, but i'm thinking about more. i don't have experience with balls, cups etc. so could you tell me if this will stand or the model is too heavy fot this mods? thanks!

Schowek02.jpg

52 minutes ago, mrcngrck said:

i've made some mods in my at-st, but i'm thinking about more. i don't have experience with balls, cups etc. so could you tell me if this will stand or the model is too heavy fot this mods? thanks!

I tried this (see previous page of this thread) and the weight of the body/head was greater than the friction of the ankle joint you have there. However, adding a friction bracket to the back of the foot should sort this, but also have the effect of extending the back of the foot out. You'll need to re-shape the foot to accomdate this. 

6 hours ago, mrcngrck said:

Schowek02.jpg

Instead of using a single element joint, try a 61053.png (61053) between two of these 98613c01.png (98613c01), to stiffen the articulation, for better balance.

Here's mine with modifications I made back when it first came out. This was a great kit LEGO brought out. 

My changes were mostly aesthetic. I'd like to accommodate the side by side drivers at some point, but it's not crucial to me. I hate stickers, I used some printed pieces I had laying around. Added some tiles and the rail on top. Changed the canon on the side too. We had three of these in our collaborative build with each modified differently.

30380759063_1d2340d261_c.jpg 

31151934786_10f1482e7e_c.jpg 

Edited by Thebeeze111

Cool!

One guy on YouTube, If I'm not mistaken, made the same. His name was... CBB bricks?

Still awesome! Will buy it just for doing this mod!

I've tried rebuild legs with joints but it wasn't enough stable for me. I made something super easy but looking good for me and with one more moving part of the leg. Other mods are inspired by ideas I saw here but I haven't seen nobody using 2x2 wing plate to cover holes on back.
1_1.jpg
2_1.jpg

Edited by mrcngrck

Mines more built-from-scratch than a MOD from the set, but just thought I'd share. This is a great topic and it's awesome to see everybody's ideas for the legs.

30466882124_60fd479278_z.jpgSoNE XIII - Commenor - main by Ryan McBryde, on Flickr

31144413632_304e9e07cd_z.jpgSoNE XIII - Commenor - 3 by Ryan McBryde, on Flickr

(two extra studs in the legs below, I had to shorten the legs in the pictures above to keep it from dwarfing the buildings as much)

30385467891_e5404ce32a_z.jpgAT-ST front by Ryan McBryde, on Flickr

30385466831_2550a97856_z.jpgAT-ST by Ryan McBryde, on Flickr

Looking good Goatman!

Weird question. does anyone know how tall an unmodified AT-ST model is in inches?

On 10/10/2016 at 3:39 PM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Here are some photos of my modified version, including all of the OP suggestions along with others I mentioned earlier.

The core functional changes are fitting two crew and reversing the direction of the head control knob on the back. Key cosmetic improvements include the leg detailing, cockpit controls, rear vents, chin turret, and the sensor panel between the eyes.

vmXlL71.jpg

I've just finished an LDraw instruction file for the above AT-ST mod (mainly for my own benefit in case I ever need to disassemble and rebuild the model), and thought it would be worth sharing here. It includes the two-man cockpit conversion, destickerization (with printed parts used instead), directional correction of the head-turning knob, corrected viewports & covers, rebuilt chin turret, and shortened legs (by one stud, not shown above).

DOWNLOAD LINK

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Great MODs everyone!

I didn't get the set, though, and just wanted to buy Baze separately. The value for the set isn't there in my region.

I like that last thermal detonator-dropping shot @mrcngrck !

But I'm on the Death Star, so I can take an ATST on a joyride anytime I want :laugh:

23 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

But I'm on the Death Star, so I can take an ATST on a joyride anytime I want :laugh:

Haha!!

Great thread. I wasn't going to purchase 75153 as it's AUD$79 here. Just as well I got one for Christmas then which was a nice surprise. 

It's a truly superb rendition of the AT-ST, even better than the UCS imo (mind you, that one did come out in 2006). I spent this afternoon modding mine, thanks for the ideas!

On 12/31/2016 at 11:11 PM, bataleon said:

Haha!!

Great thread. I wasn't going to purchase 75153 as it's AUD$79 here. Just as well I got one for Christmas then which was a nice surprise. 

It's a truly superb rendition of the AT-ST, even better than the UCS imo (mind you, that one did come out in 2006). I spent this afternoon modding mine, thanks for the ideas!

Yeah the price is off-putting here, it's $99... U.S.equivalent $50.