Sign in to follow this  
BrickRally217

MOC: Modular Mexican Restaurant

This is my first attempt at creating a custom modular building. I built this with really no forethought and only used parts available in my collection, aside from the hot air balloon parts on top which I had to place an order for. So the architectural styles are all over the place, but I don't know, I think it still has a certain charm to it. This has been a side project for me for about a year now, and I'm glad to see the final result.

The right building is the Mexican restaurant itself with seating above, the middle "building" is just a stairwell, and the far left building is a tailor shop with an apartment above it. The two engine parts SNOTed on the tailor shop represent a bow-tie, which isn't so obvious from this angle. 

29323028120_8d9903e20b_c.jpg

28987566374_1c7858e59f.jpg 29323029240_c506fa5d33.jpg

29323031190_543db80220_z.jpg 29613418785_c1b8075acc.jpg

The roof of the apartment features an opening hot tub, a skylight, and a balcony in the front with sliding doors. 

29503042322_43baba867b.jpg 

The interior of the ground floor features an elevator, the same basic design as the Town Hall modular. One elevator door is for customers to get up to the seating area, and the other one is for the server coming from the kitchen.

29532548191_d63558edbb.jpg 29578814646_07b98928e0_n.jpg29578813366_2066263bba_m.jpg 29613397425_09696c016e_n.jpg

The roof sections removed.

29532554101_0080fd5e4a_z.jpg

The restaurant second floor

29578824266_1a6c6e58ef.jpg 29613415865_4becc3b116.jpg29532550171_19a323c841_n.jpg

The apartment floors 2 and 3.

29578823316_2c48574d1f.jpg 29532557171_6a0796b96f_n.jpg 28987557744_d203f4f3a7.jpg

Finally, the simple but all important minifigures. From left to right, a customer, the tailor, another customer, the chef, and the bartender/waiter.

29578811746_75fea64972.jpg

Thank you for viewing! Questions, comments, critisisms welcome. 

28987567224_cede3ffb71_c.jpg 

Besides the fact that this is a really awesome Modular Building , which I'm sure other comments will cover...

Is this based on an actual place? I'm getting the weirdest sense of Deja Vu from this...

Maybe some place I visited in Arizona...

7 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

Besides the fact that this is a really awesome Modular Building , which I'm sure other comments will cover...

Is this based on an actual place? I'm getting the weirdest sense of Deja Vu from this...

Maybe some place I visited in Arizona...

Nope, not based on a real location. I would say it is southwestern USA inspired though, because I did start making this after a trip to Southern California and the memory of the architecture there could have carried its way into my subconscious. 

7 hours ago, BrickRally217 said:

Nope, not based on a real location. I would say it is southwestern USA inspired though, because I did start making this after a trip to Southern California and the memory of the architecture there could have carried its way into my subconscious. 

I did a bunch of googling and remembering last night because I wouldn't have been able to sleep unless I figured this out...

It remind me of El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano at the Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village in Sedona Arizona.

It's not an exact replica, of course, but the whole aesthetic is very reminiscent of that weird little shopping center.

I asked my brother to try and remember all the details of how that placed look, and then I showed him your MOC and his mind was blown. It's quite similar.

All that said, I like your creation a lot more than the town I visited. The town was weird. This is cool.

I think because of you only using pieces in your collection, the colors are all over. If there was some more consistency, then it would be different.

Eclectic is definitely the right word here.

I like the tailor main floor colors and awning. I am curious on the Mexican restaurant on the transition between the first two levels, how did you do the dark bley area? It looks like a 1x1 round tile sticking out?

As someone who has only been building as an adult for a few months I really admire some of the build techniques employed here. The curved rear facade for one. 

4 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

I did a bunch of googling and remembering last night because I wouldn't have been able to sleep unless I figured this out...

It remind me of El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano at the Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village in Sedona Arizona.

It's not an exact replica, of course, but the whole aesthetic is very reminiscent of that weird little shopping center.

I asked my brother to try and remember all the details of how that placed look, and then I showed him your MOC and his mind was blown. It's quite similar.

All that said, I like your creation a lot more than the town I visited. The town was weird. This is cool.

I just looked up that shopping center on google street view, and I can see the reminiscence. Weird how that worked out. And thank you! 

4 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

I think because of you only using pieces in your collection, the colors are all over. If there was some more consistency, then it would be different.

Eclectic is definitely the right word here.

I like the tailor main floor colors and awning. I am curious on the Mexican restaurant on the transition between the first two levels, how did you do the dark bley area? It looks like a 1x1 round tile sticking out?

It's a repeated SNOT pattern of this hinge piece folded inward and a regular 2x2 plate: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2429c01#T=C

I like you building very much! You used really great techniques and made some special details! And I love the roof made of the ballon! What a great idea! That could be used for oriental towers!

I really like how you used the 1x1 round tiles between floors to add a little texture to what is normally just a functional layer.

Love the build, I actually think it almost looks more middle eastern than Mexican from the outside, the roof looks almost mosque-like to me.

Your build looks a little bit weird and over the top... but somehow it works and I really like it! :classic:

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, Delbaerov said:

Love the build, I actually think it almost looks more middle eastern than Mexican from the outside, the roof looks almost mosque-like to me.

I see the same thing. I really like the MOC over all and my only constructive criticism would be to possibly look for a different option on the roof.