Sign in to follow this  
KMOI

Anakin Head Decal

Hi everyone! I just want to announce that I'm inches away from finishing my normal Anakin face decal! This is going to be my very first decal EVER, but it's turning out great so far! After all, doesn't everyone want a normal Anakin face that they can use for customization? And with the movie coming out real soon, there's no better time! So get ready for it!

But there's a catch. >-|

You see, though I am not-so-bad in making Minifig customizations, this is my first time EVER making a face decal. Hence, it may look rough, though it's not like it's hand-drawn. Also, I'm far from being an AFOL. I'm a kid whom has infiltrated this highly intelligent and entertaining board! Anyhoo, that being said, I'm not a big fan of no-emotion-Anakin. Sure, the face works well young Obi-Wan, but not quite with Anakin. You see, Anakin becomes steaming hot glass of un-bridled emotions. Hence, I'm making two versions. The first will be a "cocky" or real happy Anakin. (He has a grin) The other one will be gritting teeth and REALLY angry. Once I saw that screenshot of the angry Lego Anakin, I just HAD to make a decal just for the angry-I'm-going-to-destroy-the-universe-to-save-my-lovely-wife Anakin.

Anyhoo, that's what's coming up so stay tuned! ;)

Does it matter how old you are? You seem intelligent and mature enough to particapte in adult conversations (which may seem strange coming from me if you've read some of my other posts).

But the point is: You're having a go. You're proactively engaging in a popular hobbie and contributing productively to this community.

If your first effort is rough then so be it. You can always review and refine your method and approach. Its always interesting to view the progression of a skill or development of a work.

Heh, I kinda like to say my age mostly because last time I got on an AFOL forum, I got beaten up because I liked Bionicle. :-D Another reason is because it kinda shows you something about the "demographics" of the place.

Ok, enough of that, here's a sneak peak of what is coming up!

anakinfaceteaser8mo.jpg

As you can see, I'm pretty close to done, but I'm still reconsidering about the chin line. It seems off and I'm really not sure of where it should be. The first two ar the drafted products and the third one is without the chin-line, just incase you need to see how it looks without it. Any suggestions?

You seem to have encapsulated the mini-figure style of face art very well.

However, as I haven't seen them applied to an actual mini-figure its hard get the impression of its geometric mapping. In other words its hard to envision exactly where everything will be on the actual head. I.e, taking it from a flat two dimensional surface (which is what we see on screen) and applying it to a three dimensional cylndrical surface.

They look good to me :) i too enjoy doing decals and i think your never to young to start, well done and i look forward to seeing more of your work.

Are you going to be showing pictures of the prototype decals on actual mini-figure heads any time soon?

Right after I've finished tweaking the scale of the face. You see, I traced the original face my hand on tracing paper, then scanned it in. I then took a picture of the anakin face and used it as a reference to what the final product should look like. It would have been perfect, had my scanner not blown the size of the face up. Now I have to resize it as best as I can, which could be a royal pain. :(

Could you used 3D LEGO designing software like LDraw to map the face onto a 3D model of mini-figure head?

So is that how everyone makes their decals so well? You see, I've never even heard of this before. :-D

hey, does anyone know if they can supply me with official lego star wars decals? also, those decals look pretty cool, but i don't like those mouths--they look like dragonball z mouths, and i don't like it that way. other then that, they're good.

So is that how everyone makes their decals so well? You see, I've never even heard of this before. :-D

Never used the program myself so I'm only assuming it could be done. It might be harder than what it sounds. Or it might be easier.

Heh, here's the long-awaited pic of the decal on the face. The little black mark where the nose would be is actually just a result of dust. I'm still working about with the sizing, so that everyone can print it, but here's a little sample. Well, enjoy!

dsc006253nj.jpg

Hey, that looks absolutely FANTASTIC :-D Maybe consider moving the mouth up the TINIEST bit, and I think it would be perfect. You have quite a talent there!