JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

3 hours ago, Ludo said:

rotating mechanism goes straight trough the bottom plate, making it possible to use an electric driven mechanism under the table, like a motor, servo motor or something else.

I can't see it on the posted pictures. 

You can take it off completely and just use a regular servo or solenoid.

What (not) to do with your tax refund, part 2

Edited by 3797

PennLUG did some very extensive testing of the turnouts at Philly Brick Fest last month. We ran every configuration of steam locomotive we had through it, including a 4-4-0, 4-4-2, 4-6-2, 4-6-4, 0-6-0, 0-10-0, 2-10-0, 2-10-4, 2-6-6-4, 4-6-6-4, 2-8-8-2, 4-8-8-4, and 2-8-8-8-2. We also ran a few diesels and some pretty long passenger cars. We only had one major derailment, mostly due to running through switch at a stupidly too fast speed. Never once did the straight guards cause any issues. Though some added safety is always welcome.

I personally would rather not have any hollow studs. Not every one will ballast these, and those that do will have differing styles. I agree with Coaster that making these turnouts blend with existing LEGO track is going to make for a better looking product. Seeing the exposed hollow studs would just be a distraction. I think we'll be able to ballast these pretty well without hollow studs. Here is what we came up with, and these prototypes don't have all the studs that Coaster has added to the design recently. I think they look pretty nice.

34706268295_cce0859890_c.jpgIMG_4084 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

34706269755_dfc58bd4a5_c.jpgIMG_4083 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

34706270225_f0524b0e8d_c.jpgIMG_4082 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Cale

Edited by Cale

Before and after on the guard rails:

33865291954_fd9180cddc_c.jpg

Yay or nay on the change?

@Ludo Here's a closer view of the switch stand:

33897995773_3d5dcb4a54_c.jpg

Note the axle hole goes all the way through:

33897995683_182d6b7026_c.jpg

The switch turntable goes 180°, and actuates the throw bar close-far-close.  This way, you can set it on either side and set it to point the direction of travel.

I'd say that the new angled look for the guards does look good! At this point, it makes sense to future-proof the switches for whatever wheel arrangements can be thought up, even if some studs for ballasting might be sacrificed.

Hi 3797,Cale,Coaster & M-slug357.

Thanks for the additional information & the great CAD renderings.

I can only agree with M-slug357 regarding the angled guard rails. They look great.:cry_happy:

I say YAY to the change.

I guess that the angled guard rails are molded together with the sleepers with the exeption of the far end angled guard rails on the deviating track.

And as already written, not everyone will ballast the track, but on the difficult locations to ballast, if you want to do it, there will be always a solution.Cutting & gluing are among those solutions, but only if nessesarry.

I know Coaster, i'm a heretic :wink:

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Before and after on the guard rails:

Yay or nay on the change?

@Ludo Here's a closer view of the switch stand:

Note the axle hole goes all the way through:

The switch turntable goes 180°, and actuates the throw bar close-far-close.  This way, you can set it on either side and set it to point the direction of travel.

If upcoming 9V will look the same, it's definitive Yay! The switch mechanism looks great, too. :thumbup:

The only thing that I'm worried about is that the guard rails on the turnout look a bit fragile, since there's no support from below. Maybe that's why TLC didn't build their switches like that. What if trains keep smashing into the guard rails at a higher than normal speed? 

Anyway, please don't do hollow studs.

7 hours ago, 3797 said:

The only thing that I'm worried about is that the guard rails on the turnout look a bit fragile, since there's no support from below. Maybe that's why TLC didn't build their switches like that. What if trains keep smashing into the guard rails at a higher than normal speed? 

Anyway, please don't do hollow studs.

@3797

Regarding your remark, it's true. The goal of having a (long enough) angled guard rail 'entry' is to prevent that wheels /wheel flanges hit the guard rail, and guide the flanges towards the rail. The guard rail acts like a funnel. If you take a close look to a LEGO point, you'll see also a short piece of the guard rail that isn't supported at both ends. They don't even have a side support to prevent the guard rail to break down . see picture:

dccswitch1.jpg

Seems like the consensus is to go with the angled guards.  I'll fix up the switches and double crossover to reflect the change.  As for strength, I'm not worried about it.  Only the one side of the turn-out guards are cantilevered, and they're really just for show.  The wheel flanges should never actually come in contact at that point.  Also, the LEGO 9V ones, as Ludo pointed out above, didn't even bother with the support ribs, though they were added to the PF mold. I think breaking off a connecting end is more likely (I've got a few of those that haven't fully survived).

And don't worry, there are no plans to use any hollow studs.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Seems like the consensus is to go with the angled guards.  I'll fix up the switches and double crossover to reflect the change.  As for strength, I'm not worried about it.  Only the one side of the turn-out guards are cantilevered, and they're really just for show.  The wheel flanges should never actually come in contact at that point.  Also, the LEGO 9V ones, as Ludo pointed out above, didn't even bother with the support ribs, though they were added to the PF mold. I think breaking off a connecting end is more likely (I've got a few of those that haven't fully survived).

And don't worry, there are no plans to use any hollow studs.

I think the same. Have a few straights with broken connecting ends. Can be re-used at the end of a side track with a buffer over it. Allways found the connection points the weakest point of the 9V / RC track. If disassembling track after a show is done incautious, you can end up with a broken or bend connection point.

Glad to read that the majority like the angled guards. :sweet:.

On 2017-5-17 at 3:53 AM, Cale said:

PennLUG did some very extensive...

Hi Cale,

Please don't embed images larger than 1024 wide. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Jim said:

Hi Cale,

Please don't embed images larger than 1024 wide. Thanks.

Fixed

Cale

Hi, I have been away from this topic for a little and I am confused what the production is of these switches as of now. I am really interested in these if they come at a good price point!

Thanks,

-RailCo

Hi @Rail Co, you haven't really missed much.  I have the models available on Shapeways, but they're not cheap.  Sadly, there's little I can do about that because Shapeways sets their price.  Molded versions will be way cheaper.  I do have R104 and R120 injection molded curves coming out soon, and once I can get those out in the field and get activity going, I'll relaunch the kickstarter for the switches.  Tracks will only be PF for now, but I'm building flexibility into the tooling to allow me to expand to 9V in the future.

Most of our conversation lately has been centered around switch design details and testing.

I'm in a bit of holding pattern until the tooling for the curves is complete, but once it is, we'll rock and roll.

On 2017-5-20 at 4:47 AM, Cale said:

Fixed

Cale

Great!! Thanks.

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Hmmm, I wonder what these might make...

34502210104_5d293a9476_c.jpg35305832526_332be018c6_c.jpg

Great to see this progress. :)

PF track i suppose.

question:

what are the long 'trenches' for between the two tracks?

I wish you a lot of succes and hope that the 9V will be up and running in the near future.

best regards,

Ludo

8 minutes ago, Ludo said:

Great to see this progress. :)

PF track i suppose.

question:

what are the long 'trenches' for between the two tracks?

I wish you a lot of succes and hope that the 9V will be up and running in the near future.

best regards,

Ludo

Thanks.  Hopefully this is the first of many molds to be made.  Those trenches are what are known as runners.  The plastic injects into the very center between the runners in what is called the sprue, and the runners supply the plastic to the forms.  The small point contact where the runners meet the forms are called gates.  After molding, the sprue and runners are broken off and recycled, leaving just the tracks.

You've got me excited! Can't wait to see the price for these bad boys and maybe purchase some :)

Good Luck with you project!

-RailCo

13 hours ago, Rail Co said:

You've got me excited! Can't wait to see the price for these bad boys and maybe purchase some :)

Good Luck with you project!

-RailCo

They'll be sold in sets of 8, and it'll be $29.95 for the R104s and $34.95 for the R120s.

8 hours ago, coaster said:

They'll be sold in sets of 8, and it'll be $29.95 for the R104s and $34.95 for the R120s.

That's for a quarter of a circle, right?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the first samples.

1 hour ago, 3797 said:

That's for a quarter of a circle, right?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the first samples.

That is correct.  I'll post pictures later this weekend.  There are a few minor bugs, but they came out great.  A couple easy fixes and they'll be perfect.

I got to check out the prototypes yesterday. I can't wait for a full production run so I can get some.

On ‎17‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 2:39 PM, coaster said:

This is very exciting - and I do like the ".95" bit. This is business - and really, really well planned, advertised and most importantly: very well though out. Solid. The things you are making are worth every cent. In contrast to what has happened in the past with "comparable" (it is not) stuff.

All the best!

Thorsten

As promised, here are pictures of the production samples.  There are a few minor bugs to be addressed (such as the missing "BT" mark on the studs), but overall, they came out really well.

35389523235_f7993ee280_c.jpg34580284343_7b449e7200_c.jpg