JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

Thanks everyone!  Glad you like it!

22 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Is there any chance you might reproduce the original cross over switches? I don't have enough space on my planned layout for the length of this particular radius

Right now, I'm not planning on it.  It'd cost about the same to 3D print a duplicate version as buying it used off ebay, and the demand would probably be too low to justify the tooling to mold it.

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

I have no objections to using glue on my parts, so the clutch power wearing down doesn't worry me at all. I just wish there were more studs on these without having big flat areas so that it could be possible to lay down ties the full length of the swtich. Squeezing two studs side-by-side down the center probably wouldn't interfere with the switching mechanicism (from what i can see) and would definitely improve the aesthetics on fully ballasted track. Nevertheless, I suppose one could just solve this with some kragel though, even if it is cheating.

I can add studs wherever there is room.  I just skipped some areas to keep it mostly consistent with the LEGO ones.  However, I've deviated quite a bit already from LEGO's design (note the switch mechanism, guards on the frogs, and crosstie orientation), so it really wouldn't make much difference to me.  Does everyone have a preference?

I think the more studs the better. You can always not ballast it, if there are studs there, but you cannot ballast areas that don't have studs without cheating with kragel. My vote: more studs!

I don't know if it's still relevant but I prefer PF w/switches...

Also can you do the next size up from R40 (R56 I believe)? That would be more beneficial imho to those who don't have ME Models or are willing to invest in R104 & 88/120 (also I just want R56 curves).

Whens BrickWorld because I want to be the first one to preorder this!

Hi All, 

This is still very much active.  Brickworld is June 17th & 18th, and we'll relaunch shortly before that.

Here is the plan for now:  I've ponied up and bought the tooling for R104 and R120 curves.  That is in process and the first samples are due early May.  Barring any issues, these will be available in time for release at Brickworld (or online for those that can't attend).  I likely won't be vending at Brickworld, but I'm looking into partnering with a couple vendors.

The Kickstarter will cover the left and right R104 switches, the switch stand, the two specialty curve segments, and 1/2 and 1/4 length straights.  Only PF will be covered this time.  

There is good reason to exclude 9V for now.  Demand is too low.  There's significant heavy lift to be done from a tooling perspective, and we need to make sure we can get the PF stuff off the ground first.  If PF doesn't play, then we're dead in the water.

Once we can get the PF stuff going, we can piggyback off that tooling for the 9V version.  

To be perfectly clear: 9V IS NOT DEAD!  My personal collection is entirely 9V, so call me selfish, but all of these efforts are to ultimately bring 9V back to life.  But right now is not the time to do it.  If we can pull this off for this year, next year we will develop a system to include not only all 9V tracks but also power pickup wheels to connect to PF motors.

So stay tuned!  I'll put a draft of the Kickstarter up a couple weeks before launch, and I'll certainly let everyone know when the first curves are ready!

Great news and sounds like a valid plan. R120 - wow, definitely something I am interested in. And R104 switches in molded ABS would be fantastic. And yes, go for Power Functions first to make sure to serve the needs of the largest group.

Good luck, 

Holger

6 hours ago, coaster said:

To be perfectly clear: 9V IS NOT DEAD!  My personal collection is entirely 9V, so call me selfish, but all of these efforts are to ultimately bring 9V back to life.  But right now is not the time to do it.  If we can pull this off for this year, next year we will develop a system to include not only all 9V tracks but also power pickup wheels to connect to PF motors.

So stay tuned!  I'll put a draft of the Kickstarter up a couple weeks before launch, and I'll certainly let everyone know when the first curves are ready!

Turn on, tune in and hopefully don't drop out on that 9V. I'm hoping for serious PF demand then... Thanks for sharing your plans!

5 hours ago, Capparezza said:

I'm hoping for serious PF demand then...

Me too!

Even if there is no PF demand, please release the 3D print schematics ! It is awesome track geometry.

1 hour ago, Wabbajack said:

Even if there is no PF demand, please release the 3D print schematics ! It is awesome track geometry.

Releasing the schematics is a bit counter-intuitive I'd say, especially if there needs to be a certain amount of gain before even getting to the 9V stuff. Maybe in like, 5 yrs? lol

Also, don't forget people that PF track + copper or nickel tape = temporary holdover for the 9V items! At least, that's what I'll be doing anyways.

2017 just might be a great year for trains!!

On 2/28/2017 at 9:28 PM, coaster said:

Here is the plan for now:  I've ponied up and bought the tooling for R104 and R120 curves.  That is in process and the first samples are due early May.  Barring any issues, these will be available in time for release at Brickworld (or online for those that can't attend).  I likely won't be vending at Brickworld, but I'm looking into partnering with a couple vendors.

The Kickstarter will cover the left and right R104 switches, the switch stand, the two specialty curve segments, and 1/2 and 1/4 length straights.  Only PF will be covered this time. ...

What do you means by 2 specialty curves? 2 radii that are still to be determined?

If so or if not, I really think that R56 would be in a high demand, maybe even more so than R120, and not including it would be a big mistake. The gap between R40 & R104 is HUGE (74 STUDS!) and most people, such as myself, are either on the fence or not able/willing to back this because of the high cost of getting, at a minimum, 64 pieces of track (assuming you do half of a normal curve, degree wise) for R104-120, while 16 pieces for R56 more people are willing to commit. Still offer R104-120, but also add R56.

Hope you understand my point,

-Burkus

PS: Dang that was a long run on sentence...

R56 curves are on the list, as are R72 and R88, but I can only afford to do so much on my own (the R104 and R120 tooling is already well north of 5-figures).  

The specialty curves for the switches are slightly different angles R104s.  They're a necessary evil to stick to the stud grid.  This may help explain it a bit better:

Switch Datasheet1

Switch Datasheet2

Each of these curves would be provided with a switch.  It stinks to have to do, but without them, we get a gap like this:

This is why special curves are needed.  Just enough of a gap that it can't quite be fudged.

Just a little too much to fudge.

1 hour ago, BurkusCircus said:

What do you means by 2 specialty curves? 2 radii that are still to be determined?

If so or if not, I really think that R56 would be in a high demand, maybe even more so than R120, and not including it would be a big mistake.

As a backer of the ME curves years ago I received all 4 radi.  The R104 and R88 are the most used and popular in my LTC.  I only just opened my R56 this past week.  We have standardized on the 88/104 setup and I believe I asked for the R120s as a way for Bricktracks to distinguish himself from ME.  If you want R56 curves, they are already available from them and very rarely out of stock.  R104s are the hard ones to get.

I really love what I am seeing here with the switches!

I don't know if it is a bit soon to ask, but do you have any idea when you might get your Kickstarter going for these switches? Also, any basic rough idea of generally what a size of pledge would be good for a pair of switches? I understand that there's likely no way to get anything resembling an exact number, but if I know a single pair of left and right r104 switches will cost say $50-$100 then I know what to try to put aside in the budget to make sure I can back these when the time comes.

@Daedalus304 Mid-June we'll launch the Kickstarter for the switches.  The switches will be sold as individual kits, rather than pairs, comprising of 1x Left (or Right) Switch, 1x Switch Stand, 1x R104 Turn-out curve, 1x R104 Siding curve, and 1x 1/2 length straight.  This should make it a little more manageable for folks looking to do a series of crossovers where they need multiples of the same switch instead of different ones.  My target is to keep the switch kits under $50.  For the double crossover, (since that's basically 4x switches, minus the curves and straights), I'm hoping to keep that kit under $120.  To keep these down though, we're probably going to have to come up with a little over $100k in the Kickstarter.  But to be clear, these are only estimates; nothing is firm, so don't hold me to this.  However, it should give you a good idea of where we stand.

15 hours ago, coaster said:

(the R104 and R120 tooling is already well north of 5-figures).  

spittake.jpg

Well, good luck with the Kickstarter! I suppose there's a reason college students don't go into business ventures such as this nearly as often as other age groups.

@coaster I like how you've made the Siding Curve and the Turnout Curve different by the placement or omission of the holes.  Otherwise with the curves being very similar to the Standard R104 Curves it would be possible to get them mixed up when building.

3 hours ago, carbon60 said:

@coaster I like how you've made the Siding Curve and the Turnout Curve different by the placement or omission of the holes.  Otherwise with the curves being very similar to the Standard R104 Curves it would be possible to get them mixed up when building.

Thanks.  There will also be a marking on the bottom with a glyph to help keep them straight.

Cool thing about them:  They can be used to make a perfect S-curve.  Also, 1 of each together = 2x standard curves.

These look fantastic.

Btw, I think it might be a good idea to translate your campaign into different languages since the last one did cause some confusion. I can help with German.

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Thanks.  There will also be a marking on the bottom with a glyph to help keep them straight.

NOOOO!!!! Keep them curved!  (grin)