JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

Not to quite derail this discussion, but NILTC will be having their Christmas show next weekend (Dec 9th and 10th).  Details can be found on our website.  We will be running our double loop of  R104 and R120s curves and we have the prototype R104 Double Crossover to boot!  Anyone in the Chicago area can come see them in action.

Edited by pirzyk

So I have received my Bricktracks order after being held at Canadian customs while they assessed the amount of taxes owed , But once I got them I will say I was impressed for what they are . Now I really never expected a perfect LEGO imitation, I will say that without close inspection most people would think they are Lego in my opinion . The only give aways that i noticed are a  slight difference in sheen to the flat part of the plate ties and the occasional whiteish sprue marks on the side plates . also every so often a 2x8 plate tie will have a corner that is ever so slightly not perfectly square .  Now I judge these to the most extreme standards and with those things aside I am fully happy with my purchase and congratulate you  on making these , by far the best AFOL track i have seen yet . Clutch power is fantastic and as not being 3d printed I don't worry about a loss in clutch power over use . 

As to my previous question about easements . Its a term used when making a curve to be more realistic and gradual . An easement in L gauge would being a turn that started out with a 1 or 2 120R curves then going to 104R curves then ending with 1 or 2 120R curves again . To create a smoother transition from straight to curve . A google search of " railroad track easements " will further help . I was wondering if you knew off hand if to make a 90 degree turn a mix of 120R and 104R could be used and still end up on a stud . 

@DeGobbi you may have to use a few bits of flex track to get your "easements" to line up with the stud grid. At the very least, you should be able to attach this mixed curve section at the beginning and the end?

@DeGobbi, thanks!  The white sprue marks are an unfortunate reality here.  These are molded in the traditional injection method, where the sprues are cut off after each shot.  LEGO utilizes what's known as a hot runner manifold for injection, and their injection points are up on the top of a couple studs (you can see them if you look closely enough).  I'm not exaggerating when I say doing this would have been 20 times more expensive.

As for the easement, you're referring to an e-curve.  I'll have to play with it to see if/what fits nicely.

Edited by coaster