JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

I know COVID has slowed stuff down (and these switches really do look excellent) but I wondered if you had any update on when you might be looking to start the R72 & 88 curves? 

1 hour ago, Dhivael said:

I know COVID has slowed stuff down (and these switches really do look excellent) but I wondered if you had any update on when you might be looking to start the R72 & 88 curves? 

Probably early next year.  Design work is all done.  I just need money for tooling.  :)

39 minutes ago, bogieman said:

Coaster,

Any update on shipping for the switches? I anxiously await my order.

Dave

We're still on schedule at the moment to ship by 12/15.  If I get the parts in sooner, I'll certain send them out.  We did find a small bug on one part that needed to be reworked, but that shouldn't really slow us down much, if at all.  COVID, on the other hand, could easily start wrecking havoc on us.  If something should change though, I'll post it here and on Facebook.  I'll send an email blast out too.

5 hours ago, TuffTuffTuff said:

What is the best way to motorize those switches?

Lots of options.  The turntable piece has an axle hole that goes all the way through it, so you could motorize it from above or below.  Alternatively, the throw are has a bar end fitting and uses exactly a 1-stud stroke, so you could make your own mechanism to drive it if you like.  What the actual best way is, I don't know!  But seeing what you guys come up with will be fun!

24 minutes ago, coaster said:

Lots of options.  The turntable piece has an axle hole that goes all the way through it, so you could motorize it from above or below.  Alternatively, the throw are has a bar end fitting and uses exactly a 1-stud stroke, so you could make your own mechanism to drive it if you like.  What the actual best way is, I don't know!  But seeing what you guys come up with will be fun!

This flexibility is great, best on market.

Been checking here to see if shipping was on track but found this Facebook post saying its slipped to next year. 

https://www.facebook.com/1320952211258066/posts/3906021029417825/

On 12/14/2020 at 9:31 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Just out of interest @coaster, will you be pursuing the 9v wide radius curve path as well?  Or are you leaving that to Fx Bricks?

I think he's mentioned in the past he doesn't see the business case for 9V unless the power pick-up issue is resolved. TBH I'd sooner have different manufacturers to different markets, it makes it easier to distinguish.

OKBrickWorks currently do 3d printed wide radius 9V track for those who can't wait...and having purchased some R56 they work great.

Facebook update:

We want you to know we haven't forgotten about you. The last shipment of parts for the switch tracks has been held up in quarantine by Customs. We have been told they will be released "soon," but there is nothing we can do to expedite their release. Everything else is ready to go, so as soon as we get these pieces we'll get them out the door.
We really do appreciate the patience and support you have all given us through this project. We're almost there! (I hope)149408199_4078819802137946_3553537618023504786_o.jpg

Edited by K-Style

On 2/12/2021 at 1:08 AM, K-Style said:

Facebook update: 

We want you to know we haven't forgotten about you. The last shipment of parts for the switch tracks has been held up in quarantine by Customs. We have been told they will be released "soon," but there is nothing we can do to expedite their release. Everything else is ready to go, so as soon as we get these pieces we'll get them out the door.
We really do appreciate the patience and support you have all given us through this project. We're almost there! (I hope)

Thanks very much for re-posting this update, much appreciated. I'm not on Facebook, so I would not have gathered this information otherwise.

Hi All, sorry I haven't kept up with the EB updates like I should have.  The ratio of interactions I have here vs. Facebook is considerable.  Just to update everyone, barring another winter storm (which, we look to be getting this weekend and early next week, so who knows), we are looking good for a March 1st availability.  Pre-orders will be going out in the order they were received, with HA Bricks and Brickmania's shipments going out first so they can distribute to their customers.  There is a sizeable number of pre-orders, so it will likely take a couple days to get them all out, but everything should be out the door by the 1st. 

All the pieces are finally here!  We're assembling the kits as fast as we can, but there are a ton of pre-orders, so it will take a few days to get through all of these.

20210226_010807

I quite literally need to build thousands of switches.

I plan to have everything out early next week.

March 1, 2021 is a great day for Lego trains! Amazing to see the switches finally hitting the market, congratulations on completing the long haul!

18 hours ago, coaster said:

All the pieces are finally here!  We're assembling the kits as fast as we can, but there are a ton of pre-orders, so it will take a few days to get through all of these.

[pic]

I quite literally need to build thousands of switches.

I plan to have everything out early next week.

Super stuff @coaster, thanks very much for posting that info here. Good luck with the construction and shipping, don't envy you! :/

By the way @coaster did you reach your 'moderately successful' target on the North Pole Railroad?  I didn't actually buy it because I don't have the money but I'd be interested to know if you'll be doing anything like that again in the future?

Awesome work @coaster! I've been following this project from the very start and it's awesome to see you persevere to create a product!

Edited by mark6399

Great News @coaster I'm excited for both of us! I currently have a display set-up and it is ready for an extra loop when I receive your switches to be added........Bring It!

I usually set-up my display for Brickworld Indy every March, but Covid has cancelled two years of this LEGO Convention and I was having 'display withdrawals', so a local Co. allowed me to use their huge conference room use for free!

So happy, received my switches today, quality is excellent (just like the samples you let me borrow)

The only trouble I had was the bogies (parts on very bottom) on my 2-10-4 Steamer were built at the same height as the rails. When crossing over the switches this 1x5 plate hung up on the wheel guides, so I had to rebuild a little.

The switches are perfect, I just had an 'interference with parts too low'.........Thank-you @coaster the switches are quality elements!

Well done Scott!  You should be proud of all the hard work it takes to bring a quality product like yours to us lucky train fans!  Even though I'm a committed metal rail fan, I'll probably pick up a few of those switches because they're just so good and can always find a home on a layout!

I also got a couple of pairs and couldn't be happier. It's great to see a long locomotive go through these switches in a much more graceful manner than the Lego switches. The option to position the throw mechanism on either side is great.