JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

On 2/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, coaster said:

Just to update everyone, the mold shop doing the tracks and wheels is closed due to the coronavirus. They were hoping to reopen today, but I don't believe that happened, so at this time I have no ETA on when these parts will be finished.

I know this Virus is a serious thing (especially those in China) hoping all those folks associated with building/molding your products are okay and get back to work soon, I'm holding out for your products as they are the best out there.

Edited by ritztoys

3 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

Any updates @coaster, especially regarding replacement wheels?

The factory reopened last week, and supposedly sampled the wheels on Tuesday.  I should have news on those soon.

I'll give the switches a couple more weeks to be finished up.

15 hours ago, coaster said:

These seem wheely good:

Awesome!

When laid on their back, how tall are the wheels to the top of the stud? Any idea how that compares to the top of the needle bearing on the similar lego wheels?

Or maybe I should ask, what is the total width from stud to stud of a complete wheel assembly (two wheels and one axle)?

16 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Awesome!

Or maybe I should ask, what is the total width from stud to stud of a complete wheel assembly (two wheels and one axle)?

It's less than the pointy version from LEGO.  Stud-to-stud measures an even 43mm.

For whatever it's worth, these actually do work in the standard wheel frames, even though they're meant for use with bearings.

1 minute ago, CSW652 said:

So no updates on the switches?

Samples of those are running now.  The upper track pieces had a small issue with a guard rail sometimes breaking on ejection, so we're tweaking that part of the tool to thicken the bottom to support it more. 

Just now, coaster said:

Samples of those are running now.  The upper track pieces had a small issue with a guard rail sometimes breaking on ejection, so we're tweaking that part of the tool to thicken the bottom to support it more. 

Thanks

@coaster,

I read on the PFx site the anouncement of the 9V tracks comming up this summer.

see:  https://www.fxbricks.com/fxblog/?archive=2020-03

and  scrol down to 3. Fx Track System.

when this can be done, I think that you can use your time and money for new PF tracks and not into 9V track.

That's just my opinion.

Regarding the wheelset, be sure it's compatibe for ballbearings too. 

Best regards.

@Ludo, you might not be excited, but I am.  I've got dozens of 9-volt motors and a ton of track--but no good turnouts.  I'm planning to buy at least 6 of these, along with the short straights needed to make them work.

Happy days!

Metta,

Ivan

@ivanlan9

I think you miss understood me.

I'm exited to see the 9V track comming up. I do have a sample of a double length straight and it looks promissing.

99.9% of my tracks are 9V, so it's obvious to keep it so.

The only thing I wanted to let know to @coaster, is to keep going with his PF tracks, and not waisting development time and financial resources to develop 9V track.

The market is already small, and could be very challenging to keep the bussiness up and running.

I wish both, @coaster and Michael Gale & Co all the best and good luck in their bussiness.

Ludo

@Ludo you're right, I misunderstood you.

Sadly, you are wrong, wrong, wrong.  Only 9-volt track deserves to live.  :laugh:

I don't care about PF trax, and neither should you.  :devil_laugh:*oh2*

Metta,

Ivan

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

@coaster I’m assuming you’ve been held up because of Covid-19 with the r104 switches - any predicted release dates?

It certainly hasn't helped, but unrelated to that, we've run into an issue requiring the bottom cores of a couple pieces need to be remade.  Sucks, but it is what it is (the anti-studs would otherwise have been unusable).  If all goes to plan from here forward (which with this project is a big assumption) we're eyeing a September release.

@ivanlan9, @Ludo, I started making the PF tracks with the intention of using it as a springboard into 9V tracks.  I'm personally all 9V still, so it kills me I can't even use my own tracks without further modification.  But I cannot justify the expense associated with producing 9V tracks.  I hope Michael is successful, because I need them too, but I really don't believe the market is sufficient anymore to warrant the tremendous tooling costs.  I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say it would be a $250k minimum investment to produce even the basic curves and switches. 

Do you have an estimate as to what an R104 switch is going to cost? I need to make sure I have the proper credit approval for the second mortgage...

5 hours ago, SD100 said:

Do you have an estimate as to what an R104 switch is going to cost? I need to make sure I have the proper credit approval for the second mortgage...

Figuring about $40 for a left and right pack.  Would include the additional curves required and a couple half straights as well.

23 minutes ago, coaster said:

Figuring about $40 for a left and right pack.  Would include the additional curves required and a couple half straights as well.

That's a great deal

1 hour ago, UrbanErwin said:

@coaster do you have a European distributor? Because those prices are really reasonable 

We're in talks with one.  We sent a sample pack of parts in March, but unfortunately still hasn't arrived.  Same thing for Australia/NZ.  Stupid coronavirus is holding things up.

10 hours ago, coaster said:

Wait, $40 for a left AND right pack? Meaning both together for $40, or a right switch pack is $40 and a left switch pack is also $40? 

1 hour ago, Daedalus304 said:

Wait, $40 for a left AND right pack? Meaning both together for $40, or a right switch pack is $40 and a left switch pack is also $40? 

Yes, they'll be sold in a pack similar to the LEGO switch track sets.  It will consist of:

1x Left Switch, 1x Right Switch, 2x R104 Curves, 2x R104A Curves, 2x R104B Curves, 2x ST08 half straights.

Will be somewhere around $40, might have to bump it to $42 if I run into any more issues, but really want to keep it as low as I can.

Edited by coaster

18 minutes ago, coaster said:

Yes, they'll be sold in a pack similar to the LEGO switch track sets.  It will consist of:

1x Left Switch, 1x Right Switch, 2x R104 Curves, 2x R104A Curves, 2x R104B Curves, 2x ST08 half straights.

Will be somewhere around $40, might have to bump it to $42 if I run into any more issues, but really want to keep it as low as I can.

That's a fantastic price. I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be able to get all that for $40. 

I am very, very excited to convert over to these switches now. I was excited before, of course, but I thought it would take quite a while. Thanks for clarifying!!