JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

I had noticed that my R120 was a little out.

1/4 circle started in one place didn’t end where it should have (according to the plans). It is good to know this may be the issue, otherwise I may have gone crazy trying to figure out where things were amiss!

Not a difficult fix I imagine, and otherwise I’m very happy with it.

11 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Is this due to heat at the factory or due to shipping in hot trucks you think?

Im not sure a hair dryer puts out enough heat (unless I'm over speaking here as ive not had to heat tracks) a heat gun on low would be much easier imho

Just dont hold it in place too long or it will melt abs and deform your parts.

Originally, it was insufficient cooling time at the factory.  They increased the hold time, and that mostly took care of it.  It does seem to come up in the summer months, so there could be an issue with hot shipping trucks.

Keep in mind, it takes only a very tiny amount of deformation for problems to propagate.  A 1/2° of flex over 32 pieces of track translates to being more than an entire piece off.  If any are way off though, just let me know and I'll replace them.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:18 PM, coaster said:

There is more coming than just the shorties.  The R104 switches are in progress.  ETA this November.

Are the switches still on schedule?

7 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Are the switches still on schedule?

Yep.  We're cruisin' right along.

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

So is there a release date yet?

Not yet.  Still cutting the molds.  Kinda hoped to have the first pieces by now, but I'd rather they be right than rushed.

First mold test!

First mold test.  Mold still needs polishing, but the structures all came out.

Tool still needs to be polished, but all the structures came out like they should.

@coaster,

Great point!

Also nice to see the angled in- and out's of the guard rails.

A lot more realistic.

3 hours ago, splatman said:

Can these be used as straight tracks in a pinch (ignoring the curved part)?

Just by looking at the picture I would think you might have to modify the connectors on the straight track to make that work. Could look good as part of a transition to an abandoned or dis-used line. I definitely thought of that when I saw the photos, balasted on MILS of course.

Edited by ALCO
Clarify my thoughts a bit.

18 hours ago, splatman said:

Can these be used as straight tracks in a pinch (ignoring the curved part)?

So, you’re telling me you came all this way *just* to get some straight track......?

:wacko:

@coaster

Your new switches look very, very nice. I'm hoping to purchase some sets before March 2020 and expand my display layout! (Brickworld Convention)

Hi all,

Different question.

Are there somewhere LDRAW files available for the upcoming track geometries (like the switch mentioned in this tread, track crossing, ...)?

If so, can you post here a link to it?

I know there are for the different radius track, but not for the switches.

Edited by Ludo
adding text

12 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Any updates?

Molds still need some work, but the parts are functional.  Next batch should be what the mold shop believes to be good, but there are often still tweaks to be made.  These first few pieces though will be touring around at shows though if you'd like to see them.  They'll be in Lincoln and then at Cantingy in December.

I can't imagine what all is involved it determining what needs to be tweaked. There are so many studs and combinations of building on and under the tracks that it must take ages to review!

T1 samples come Monday.  These will be what the mold shop believes to be final samples, but I'm sure there will still need to be some tweaks to things. I know it's a long slow process, but there are 18 new pieces with multiple cavities for each.  To say the devil's in the details is an understatement. 

1 hour ago, coaster said:

...but there are 18 new pieces...

Why so many parts...?

will these be made for individual purchase...?

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Why so many parts...?

will these be made for individual purchase...?

Left and right switch bases A and B pieces, left and right points and coverplates, the throwarm that moves the point (same for both left and right), the switch stands are 5 pieces, and then (2) special R104 curves.  Also rebuilding the standard R104 tool.

We'll have the switch stands available as a spare part or if someone 3D prints their own specialty switches and wants to use them.  Probably won't sell the component parts loose.