JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

So if it isn't the switches, crossover, couplers, and the R72/R88 curves does that mean it is something for the old 9v system, like metal curve tracks?

Do we win a prize if we guess it?

Edited by CSW652

56 minutes ago, coaster said:

You guys are getting warmer...

The only other thing that I remember you showing on here is the 1x2 Technic brick with the larger hole for the ball bearing.

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

So if it isn't the switches, crossover, couplers, and the R72/R88 curves does that mean it is something for the old 9v system, like metal curve tracks?

Do we win a prize if we guess it?

I would be pretty stoked for that 

7 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

Any new info?

Yeah, you guys are blasting through my supply of R104s.  Just got a shipment in and it's already almost gone. 

If you mean on the molds, no.  Not only are injection molds expensive, but they take a long time to build.  I won't see the first parts from that mold till sometime in April.

16 hours ago, coaster said:

... won't see the first parts from that mold till sometime in April.

Time to start saving money again lol

April?  Well that's depressing.  Any chances your going to tell us what the new mold is?

Being patient is the hardest part of what I do. 

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

Any chances your going to tell us what the new mold is?

Not yet.  But I will tell you it's only the first of 5 molds for this project.

5 hours ago, coaster said:

Not yet.  But I will tell you it's only the first of 5 molds for this project.

Oh well, this is one way to "advertise".

There are many others ...

On 1/22/2019 at 11:21 PM, coaster said:

Yeah, you guys are blasting through my supply of R104s.  Just got a shipment in and it's already almost gone.

Glad to hear that they are selling well. I too want more of those.

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Oh well, this is one way to "advertise".

There are many others ...

While this kind of sounds a bit dick-ish, I have to agree. Convincing others not to buy your competitors' inferior products would be a bit easier, if we knew what is being worked on. I do understand that the release date is not yet set in stone and that you may not want to hear the old "are we there yet" question all the time but telling us would give potential customers something to look forward to.

However, "5 molds" does sound as if it's the switches. I guess, I better start saving my pennies.

One of 5 molds... My thought is that it is the switch project. 1 mold for right, 1 for left, 1 for each special curve, and one for the half straight. I'm guessing this particular mold is for the half straight considering how well the r104's seem to be selling. This is the one part of this project that can be sold as a stand-alone part.

21 hours ago, ALCO said:

One of 5 molds... My thought is that it is the switch project. 1 mold for right, 1 for left, 1 for each special curve, and one for the half straight. I'm guessing this particular mold is for the half straight considering how well the r104's seem to be selling. This is the one part of this project that can be sold as a stand-alone part.

Bear in mind that you could probably fit *both* diverging and parallel curves (if required) into one mould. It would be more likely that you would:
2 x stub end mould (as you'd also need the extra mould space for the mechanism pieces)
2 x toe end moulds
1 x diverge/parallel curve mould (if needed, if geometry fits into standard curves then could be used for other pieces).

He also needs to make a mold for a 8 stud long straight track piece. Here's a quote from the most recent kickstarter campaign:

1x Left Switch Kit
A single left switch kit. Each kit consists of 1x left turnout track, 1x removable switch stand, 2x special R104 curve tracks, and 1x 8-stud long (1/2 length) straight track.

Coaster, any idea as to when the R72 curves will be ready for shipment?

As for the mystery 5-mold thing, perhaps a pack of R56, R72, R88, R104, and R120 curves? Enough for a quarter curve of each?

R72s and R88s are on hold for later this year.  Wanted to have them last year, but had an opportunity to do something else and diverted funds to that.  

What about an injection-molded 90 degree cross track?

Edit:  After thinking about it, and re-reading the above posts, I don't think this would require 5 molds...

Edited by icemorons
afterthought.

If you are planning to make anything 9V related, take my money!

Looking forward to whatever you have planned

-RailCo

1 hour ago, Rail Co said:

If you are planning to make anything 9V related, take my money!

I’m considering selling my RC straights, r120s and r104s that I’ve applied conductive metal tape to, but I need to figure out a faster and more reliable way to apply said tape...

22 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I’m considering selling my RC straights, r120s and r104s that I’ve applied conductive metal tape to, but I need to figure out a faster and more reliable way to apply said tape...

I have used the tape in the past but I felt like I was always making constant repairs to the connection between two pieces of track. While it worked it wasn't reliable.