JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

@coaster thanks for your update and summary about what's going on behind your curtains. Sounds all great! Good that you do not promise everything to be in the shelves soon but make clear announcements what's important for you.

Personally I am looking forward to the R104 switch Kickstarter! 

All the best for your business, 

Holger 

5 hours ago, coaster said:

We've had a number of people ask about train axles.  Yes, we do make them for BMR for their kits.  They are specially ground to be .0005" (.01mm) smaller than the current LEGO ones (the old version from LEGO was this size) to work with off-the-shelf ball bearings, but they do still work just fine in the normal wheelsets, too.  We've refined our process, and are currently waiting on material to come in, but we will start selling these as well.  So if you are in the market for a lot of axles, please keep an eye on here and our site.

Are there plans to produce a drop-in replacement wheel set that is meant specifically for use for ball bearings? I'm referring to part #2878c01/2878c02.

I had plans to develop a 3D-printable version for myself once my semester is over, but I've concluded that my printer would not be able to handle the tolerances required to make this possible.

Thanks for the update Coaster. I know many of us are eagerly awaiting the switch Kickstarter to begin. I myself need quite a few and I’m sure the LUG will make a contribution as well!

Keep up the good work!

Hi @coaster..

Thanks for this update. 

one question: the kickstarter project for the switches, are they for PF trains only or also prepared for 9V use?

I guess, with the high cost of a mold that this mold would be used for PF track as well as for 9v track, or am I wrong?

just thinking that the mold could have a metal inlay for molding the 9V version (where the metal track would be inserted), and when removing this inlay, you fill the gap with ABS and become a 100% PF track.

I know nothing abouth molds and the possibilities to make them 'universal' so from there my question.

b.t.w. I've met yesterday someneone on a LEGO event here in Belgium and he's - as all the reviews i've read so far - also very positive abouth the quality of the PF curved tracks.:sweet:

Keep up the good work.

Ludo

On 4/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, Phoxtane said:

Are there plans to produce a drop-in replacement wheel set that is meant specifically for use for ball bearings? I'm referring to part #2878c01/2878c02.

I had plans to develop a 3D-printable version for myself once my semester is over, but I've concluded that my printer would not be able to handle the tolerances required to make this possible.

That is an interesting idea.  I hadn't considered something like that, but next time I get a chance I'll sketch something up.

13 hours ago, Ludo said:

Hi @coaster..

Thanks for this update. 

one question: the kickstarter project for the switches, are they for PF trains only or also prepared for 9V use?

I guess, with the high cost of a mold that this mold would be used for PF track as well as for 9v track, or am I wrong?

just thinking that the mold could have a metal inlay for molding the 9V version (where the metal track would be inserted), and when removing this inlay, you fill the gap with ABS and become a 100% PF track.

I know nothing abouth molds and the possibilities to make them 'universal' so from there my question.

b.t.w. I've met yesterday someneone on a LEGO event here in Belgium and he's - as all the reviews i've read so far - also very positive abouth the quality of the PF curved tracks.:sweet:

Keep up the good work.

Ludo

Thanks Ludo!  The switches will be just PF for now.  Since I'm unsure how the final design for 9V will look, I can't preemptively build it into the tooling.  The tooling could be reworked though in the future if needs be.  However, some 9V portions, such as the alternating rail power that gets passed through the switch arm, will get built into the tooling now, so we'll be able to install stamped pieces if/when we get it figured out.

@coaster

keep in mind, that people running with DCC need to bridge the contact in the switch arm.

I think its better to make it possible to open the bottom plate to bridge the contact, and re close it on en easy way.

Melting pins like the LEGO switches is not the best solution.

Perhaps using small screws instead of the plastic pins to melt? 

It's just an idea you know, but I've seen already - very few - people running their LEGO trains with DCC on a 9V track.

Best regards,

Ludo

I actually don't have a good supplier for those.  I think most people have been getting them off ebay with mostly good results.  @Cale might have a source for them since they use them for the BMR kits.  At worst, he might sell them to you.

15 hours ago, jrathfon said:

Awesome coaster! Do you have a link to the ball bearings supplier?

9 hours ago, coaster said:

I actually don't have a good supplier for those.  I think most people have been getting them off ebay with mostly good results.  @Cale might have a source for them since they use them for the BMR kits.  At worst, he might sell them to you.

The bearings you want are MR52ZZ 2x5x2.5mm. If you are looking for smaller quantities, eBay is probably your best bet. There are numerous sellers on there, all comparable in price. Just know that most of the sellers are from overseas and usually ship the cheapest (slowest) way possible. So it may take a month to get your bearings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-5-2-5mm-Miniature-Model-Bearing-MR52ZZ-2x5x2-5mm-for-Spinner-bearing/352188703107?hash=item5200152183:g:etsAAOSwc2FZ55IT

At BMR we buy our bearings directly from a manufacturer through Alibaba. We're buying thousands of bearings at a time though.

Even if I sold our bearings at cost, I would have a hard time beating the eBay sellers.

Cale

R56 curves are now available for pre-order!  Tooling is just about complete, so we'll be starting a production run soon.  Estimated ship date is July 1st.  We'll also formally announce the R104 switch Kickstarter this week, the launch of which will coincide with Brickworld Chicago.  This looks to be a busy summer!

4 hours ago, coaster said:

R56 curves are now available for pre-order!  Tooling is just about complete, so we'll be starting a production run soon.  Estimated ship date is July 1st.  

Superb!! Thanks

12 hours ago, coaster said:

R56 curves are now available for pre-order!  Tooling is just about complete, so we'll be starting a production run soon.  Estimated ship date is July 1st.  We'll also formally announce the R104 switch Kickstarter this week, the launch of which will coincide with Brickworld Chicago.  This looks to be a busy summer!

Placed my order for a full circle!

Great news @coaster! Placed my order for three full circles these days and am looking forward seeing them in action!

Just put a few items in the cart and noticed that shipping is rather expensive and the shipping costs increase with each added item. 

1 hour ago, klausn said:

Great news @coaster! Placed my order for three full circles these days and am looking forward seeing them in action!

Thanks klausn!  You'll get an email notifying you when they ship.  Right now, we're still on track for July 1st.

25 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Just put a few items in the cart and noticed that shipping is rather expensive and the shipping costs increase with each added item. 

It's a function of weight.  There is a max shipping charge though, where anything above that I'll eat the difference.  Unfortunately, shipping to Austria is rather expensive. I've been trying (without any luck though) to find a Bricklink shop in the EU to partner with, which will help cut down the shipping and import duties.  But for now, if you have any friends or LUG members that want some too, it does make sense to put a combined order in. 

The R104 switch Kickstarter is now live!  Go check it out and help bring these to life!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bricktracks/bricktrackstm-r104-switch-tracks-for-lego-trains

In other news, I have the first samples of the R56 curves.  They came out great, just a few minor tweaks need to be made to the tooling.  Exciting times around here!

Edited by coaster

47 minutes ago, coaster said:

The R104 switch Kickstarter is now live!  Go check it out and help bring these to life!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bricktracks/bricktrackstm-r104-switch-tracks-for-lego-trains

In other news, I have the first samples of the R56 curves.  They came out great, just a few minor tweaks need to be made to the tooling.  Exciting times around here!

I'm torn... I'd really like to back but... it's not 9V. While I understand why it isn't, it's just a little tough for me because I'm not ready to give up 9V yet, especially after purchasing well over $500 of ME models 9V curves. 

I'll think about it some more. Great to see the kickstarter though! 

-Jeffinslaw

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Im in for 2 of each! The price is great!

Edited by supertruper1988

5 hours ago, coaster said:

I'm in, really hope this project gets funded. 

I see that that switch kits come with 1/2 straights.... Are those part of the switch moulds? Or can then be purchased separately?

8 minutes ago, ALCO said:

I see that that switch kits come with 1/2 straights.... Are those part of the switch moulds? Or can then be purchased separately?

Ultimately, you'd be able to buy them separately.  They would be a separate tool from the switches.

@coaster, great to here about the new Kickstarter project. Just backed for 4x right and 4x left switches. Sounds really promising and I can prove that your prototype works fine (see video above).

I just showed the R120 radius curves at a smaller event last weekend in Germany and the feedback was great.

Good luck for the new Kickstarter project! 

Holger

Will you have a European distributor for the kickstarter packages in order to avoid import duties? Any idea how hard it would be to modify these to 9v using the metal strips of existing 9V track? I really want this to succeed but mostly because I want the 9v versions.