JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

On 8/30/2017 at 4:54 AM, pirzyk said:

I wound up sorting the order last night for my LUG but they look awesome.  Hope to have them all ballasted this long weekend.

This is hurting your fingers for a very good cause! Have fun!!

Pre-orders all shipped earlier this week.  If you haven't gotten yours yet, they'll be there soon.

5 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

is that using the ballast pattern that @SavaTheAggie showed on his flickr?

Snigger, I came up with my own, but as you can see they looks really similar:

img_20170905_220233.jpg

img_20170905_220245.jpg

Just now, ALCO said:

Whoa! Looks good @pirzyk! Can't wait to see that in person! 

Thanks!  Hope you can check them out too!  I'm planning on having 4 curves and one of them will be showing off all 6 radi!

I am really happy with the color correction, @coaster nailed it.  I think they look closer to LEGO Dark Stone Grey than ME models do.  The only way to make it even closer I think would be to polish the parts even more, but I'm not sure it worth the effort, I'm already happy.  Also the issues we saw with the stud clutch power on the pre production pieces at BW have been solved.

Edited by pirzyk

@coaster, finally I was able to set up a test layout to see your 3D-printed switches in action. They work so well, fantastic. And my trains love to change over to the inner track on your switches!

Any plans to make the R104 switches in molded ABS in the near future? Is there another kickstarter comming up for the switches?

Great work! I need a pair of left switches now :-)

HoMa

Hi Holger, thanks!  I'd love to be able to mold the switches in ABS.  It's just a little more to capitalize than I can afford right now.  I do plan to kickstart them again, probably next year sometime.  I want the tracks to get a solid footing/following first.  We've got a handful of dedicated followers, but it's going to take more than that to make them happen.  

Of course, if I can find a benevolent benefactor to fund the project, I'll move full steam ahead!  Anyone have $200k they're looking to burn?

On 9/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, coaster said:

We've got a handful of dedicated followers, but it's going to take more than that to make them happen.  

Of course, if I can find a benevolent benefactor to fund the project, I'll move full steam ahead!  Anyone have $200k they're looking to burn?

Or, if you could coax 1,000 people to release $200 each, you might get there faster?

Maybe try to get some sort of celebrity endorsement? lol

On 9/12/2017 at 3:31 AM, MagnusE said:

Got my two full circles of R104 and R120 yesterday and they look and feel nice.

You should post some pictures here!

5 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Maybe try to get some sort of celebrity endorsement? lol

You mean Tony and Cale don't count?  ?

On 9/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, M_slug357 said:

hahaha, I should have said "more" celebrity endorsements then!

Tony is the real star. And I would be a terrible celebrity. I have a face for radio, and a speaking voice perfect silent movies.

Cale

@ScotNick, I'll reply here, so as not to derail the ME thread, even though it's probably already dead.

In regards to making 9V straights, it will depend on what our cost to make the 9V tracks overall is.  We don't have the luxury of volume LEGO does, so the R104s and R120s in 9V will probably end up in the same range as the normal LEGO 9V straights. 

Same thing with the double length straights.  We've looked into molding 1/4x, 1/2x, 2x and 4x straights, just a matter of determining if it's cost effective.  I'm not sure I could do normal straights as cheaply either, 

But, walking before running.  Let's see how the curves shake out and we can go from there.

For anyone that hasn't seen, we've been collecting some great pictures from various layouts:

38385099992_991bca4cce_c.jpg

38385096722_dbd1cb0013_c.jpg

38360808816_39828d70e5_c.jpg

38385191352_7d86bbca27_c.jpg

(photos courtesy of Anthony Sava/TBRR and NILTC for letting me shoot their layouts)

Edited by coaster

@coaster :

The message I'm getting from a combination of this thread and your website is that you are currently producing R104 and R120 track, will produce R56, R72, and R88 track next year, and will eventually produce Switches and X-switch tracks. This brings up 2 questions: 1) will you produce straight tracks (and which lengths?)? 2) what radius will the switches be?

Edit: Also pictures look very promising!

Edited by BurkusCircus

@BurkusCircus, that is correct.  The lengths of straights we're investigating are 1/4x, 1/2x, 2x, and 4x (or some combination thereof).  Straights will be dependent on a number of factors, the biggest being, can I produce a 4x straight for less than the cost of (4) LEGO straights?  If the answer is no, then it's going to be a tough sell.

The switches will be R104.

On top of this, don't forget, I am working on a 9V solution as well.  As I personally am still entrenched in 9V, I have a strong motivation to figure that out.  I have some prototype 9V curves in the work, and if I can get those hammered out, all of the above will also be available in 9V form. 

@coaster

Realy looking forward to see the R104, R120 and switches in 9V.

Anyhow, what i read here above is very promising. :sweet:

I wish you a lot of success and hope you'll succeed in your adventure. :wink:

regards,

Ludo

Edited by Ludo

21 hours ago, coaster said:

@BurkusCircus, that is correct.  The lengths of straights we're investigating are 1/4x, 1/2x, 2x, and 4x (or some combination thereof).  Straights will be dependent on a number of factors, the biggest being, can I produce a 4x straight for less than the cost of (4) LEGO straights?  If the answer is no, then it's going to be a tough sell.

The switches will be R104.

On top of this, don't forget, I am working on a 9V solution as well.  As I personally am still entrenched in 9V, I have a strong motivation to figure that out.  I have some prototype 9V curves in the work, and if I can get those hammered out, all of the above will also be available in 9V form. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I won't have an interest in 9V, as I'm currently 100% PF. I have half and double ME Straights right now, but they have seemingly shut down. Were the issues for them just on the curves?

Speaking of which, I have a question: In two corners of my layout, I have a turn pattern going R40 curve, Straight piece, R40 curve, R40 curve, Straight piece, R40 curve, creating a 90 degree turn. Would R56 or R72 be closer to this combination, as I'm not looking to redo my track. (This is going in-between Lionel 048 and 031 curves if that helps)

1 hour ago, BurkusCircus said:

Speaking of which, I have a question: In two corners of my layout, I have a turn pattern going R40 curve, Straight piece, R40 curve, R40 curve, Straight piece, R40 curve, creating a 90 degree turn. Would R56 or R72 be closer to this combination, as I'm not looking to redo my track. (This is going in-between Lionel 048 and 031 curves if that helps)

What you've described is very close to an R72 (by the math, works out just shy of R70).  If you were to alternate curve-straight-curve-straight, you would be right in between an R72 and R88 (effectively an R80).

Having used BrickTrack tracks at three different weekend long public displays, running big, heavy 8-wide Power Functions trains at full speed, I can wholeheartedly endorse the BrickTracks products.  Due to the single piece nature and superb clutch power, setup/teardown is a breeze, so much that for the first time in using custom curve modules we were able to let a layperson set up and tear down the modules without guidance or supervision.

Plus watching my Dreyfuss go through the R120 curves at top speed carrying a full rake of coaches behind it is really really neat.  I'm sorry I forgot to get video of it.

--Tony

The R120 are insanely awesome! Did a show with them a few weeks back and it is so great to see curves that approach a realistic (scale) radius.

On a side note, the BT rail profile is essentially the same as PF track, while the ME rail profile was more like the 4.5v track with a wide base for stud receivers.

Hi Coaster , My Bricktracks 104 and 120 loops should be here any day to Vancouver Canada and I feel like a kid coming home each day looking for a package. I was wondering if a curve mixed with 104 and 120 segments can create easements that end up on a stud  for single track curves .  I will be posting once I receive them ! . 

Dave

On 11/23/2017 at 12:34 AM, DeGobbi said:

Hi Coaster , My Bricktracks 104 and 120 loops should be here any day to Vancouver Canada and I feel like a kid coming home each day looking for a package. I was wondering if a curve mixed with 104 and 120 segments can create easements that end up on a stud  for single track curves .  I will be posting once I receive them ! . 

Dave

Thanks Dave!  Not sure I follow what you mean by creating easements, can you clarify a bit?  And I always look forward to pictures!

EDIT: Speaking of pictures, I've had a few people ask for pictures top and bottom of each track.  Happy to oblige, so here you go:

R104:

37855713645_51275e57f3_c.jpg38742982611_4a03e61fc8_c.jpg

R120:

37855713815_dbe9f5aedb_c.jpg38742984521_e11f51b811_c.jpg

Don't they look tasty? :)

Edited by coaster

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Don't they look tasty? :)

Damn, yes, they do! But you won't get me to bite any ABS.... my chewed up bricks from my childhood is nearly too much to bear. Very nice curves you got there :wink::laugh: