I'm finally ready to introduce a new, originally-designed speeder to you straight from the classic trilogy:

--Rebel Troop Carrier--

14751625791_DISPLAY.jpg

Based on the speeder used by the Rebel Alliance at Echo Base on Hoth, this speeder isn't the most recognizable among Star Wars fans, but as a vehicle from the films, as well as being featured as a design element on the Hoth maps of Star Wars: Battlefront, it is still a valuable icon of our appreciation.

To date, LEGO has only released one version of this speeder. Included as a supplement in their newest hoth set, 75098, it wasn't my favorite. To me, little-to-no detail was put into the build, as it was a very simple build and, surprisingly, much smaller than I'd previously hoped it be.

Needless to say, I took it upon myself to create a much more, highly-detailed rendition of the speeder. Using namely the photos of the speeder from The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Battlefront, as well as inspiration from other LEGO customs designers, I think this speeder turned out great.
14751625792_DISPLAY.jpg

The scale is perfect for this build. It includes spaces for 4 rebel troops and a driver, as well as 5 spots for easy blaster housing.
14751625804_DISPLAY.jpg

The front of the model is a very sturdy assembly which houses the different lights seen on the original speeder. It's also built at an angle, just like the real thing.

The most challenging aspect of this model was the rear side, as there is a LOT of detail to consider. In the end, I was able to synchronize detail and functionality/playability together, rather than have detail be the "sacrificial lamb: for functinality's sake. The center end opens up so there is more access from the rear side of the speeder for troop entrance.

14751625803_DISPLAY.jpg

MOCpages

Comments welcome. God bless.

Been thinking about making some of these to go along with the rogue one sets (when they arrive) especially seeing as though we have more rebel aliance ground forces now! 

Nice work anyway, far better than Lego's rendition. 

17 hours ago, Ed9217 said:

Been thinking about making some of these to go along with the rogue one sets (when they arrive) especially seeing as though we have more rebel aliance ground forces now! 

Nice work anyway, far better than Lego's rendition. 

Thanks. :-)

7 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Wasn't one of these (albeit smaller) in the Insult On Hoth set?

Yes. One was. It was just very small and out of scale. It also did not have as much space for troops or their weapons, so it's purpose seemed really unknown to me.

In addition, because of its size, I didn't notice it was in that set at first. :-)

18 hours ago, LegoStarWarsLDDShop said:

Yes. One was. It was just very small and out of scale. It also did not have as much space for troops or their weapons, so it's purpose seemed really unknown to me.

In addition, because of its size, I didn't notice it was in that set at first. :-)

OK cool I didnt know it was a troop thing