Sign in to follow this  
Legostone

[ESL - CH4B] Wrong ship

29364470544_ba527e5787_c.jpg
Captain, are you really sure that the third last ship is the unarmed New Terraman that we can easily plunder for all their gold?
Arr, off course I am! That's exactly what we've read on those plans in that wrecked postship we found 2 weeks back!

29364504474_839ae24109_c.jpg
Captain! There is a cutter flying the Jolly Roger! They are trying to attack us!
Up the Topgallants, Up the Courses! Drop the boat! Prepare a broadside to welcome them!

29908801281_e4b215c62c_c.jpg
Captain, I don't think that's an unarmed Terraman. Its over now!

29364556574_7f278bf6d4_c.jpg
FIRE!

29364556574_7f278bf6d4_c.jpg
Goodbye, dear fellow. Jack, good hit on their mast. I bet just shaking their boat will break it any minute now!

29365442523_52f5afd484_c.jpg
FIRE!
*Cannon noises as some guns fire again*

29992053065_1758bf0a0a_c.jpg
Also, aren't we forgetting someone? He could come in useful...

29364608324_77e2d070c6_c.jpg
We have gotten them good this time! They are done!

29365476263_d74730205d_c.jpg
Pull them in so we can board them!
On it Captain!

29958110846_aa72a74130_c.jpg
Our other sniper on the fighting tops wasn't forgotten about...

29698304240_f826b9562a_c.jpg
*SPLASH*

29698313850_72b416fc6d_c.jpg
At least his friend got revenge for him...

29909006751_ed4e89c743_c.jpg
Clear their deck with the carronades! We can forget this cutter anyways!
*BOOM*

29958163116_ff62ac8658_c.jpg
*censored screams* *terrible noise from bones breaking*

29958172836_a6a39b639e_c.jpg
Board them now! There are only two of them left, maybe we can find out how they found us!

29958191926_aebeb775f8_c.jpg
*Jump*

29364743854_3c1f4c1008_c.jpg
You found a map and a letter in an lost postship? And you were looking for an unarmed Terraman instead of for us? Well, we knew about that postship, so we changed our positions in the convoy! Tell the devil I won't be there visiting any time soon! A good captain goes down with his ship!

29958205836_3d20a7c0c3_c.jpg
SET THE COURSES! SET THE TOPGALLANTS! WE SUNK THEM!

I'll post more about these ships later, the frigate(28 guns, 5HA+) will go to Eslandola, the gunboat(10 guns, at least 2A) is owned by Kai NRG. The Frigate is named La Raya Venenosa, The Stingray, and the Cutter is named Dark Spirit.

Edit: the bowsprit overhangs only slightly if both ships are placed diagonally. I was actually considering placing my Xebec in the battle as well and saying the 48x80 box is width x height, but I felt like that would've been cheating:P

Edited by Legostone

Really nice pair of ships Legostone, nice work on the hulls and the rigging!  Good job with the action shots as well! 

These. Ships. Are. Amazing!!! Especially color-wise! And all that photos and action!! Loved every part of this entry!

Excellent entry! Glad to see some more people building 2 ships for this category!

On 9/30/2016 at 3:30 PM, MKJoshA said:

Excellent entry! Glad to see some more people building 2 ships for this category!

My initial plan was actually three (using the diagonal, as the Frigate is around 90 studs long and the cutter is sufficiently small), but I couldn't motivate myself enough to build a second ship that I would have to wreck like the small cutter (which I have fixed since, the rigging damage wasn't that bad actually)

On 9/30/2016 at 3:57 PM, Mike S said:

Awesome entry! Love your sails and rigging! :thumbup: You really should have a ship expert badge....

Thanks! The sails on these ships are actually my first try at making cloth sails, and I think they turned out great!

On 9/30/2016 at 4:38 PM, Zaael said:

Excellent ships!!! I like the "little" one the most!! :pir-wub:

There I go - spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 hours on the frigate and then the 6 hour cutter is more popular - gah! ;)

Well, if you like it that much, have an extra picture:

30010361946_38da8a7149_z.jpg

Yes, the rigging is stable enough so you can pick it up by the mast. I wouldn't recommend swinging it around though...

Some hints for what I could improve besides my picture setup (I neither have the space nor the budget, sorry)?

Excellent ships and presentation of a sea battle.  :thumbup: You can feel the damage from chain-shots on the masts and rigging.  Grapeshots are nasty on the folks at the receiving end. Poor pirates. :pir-cry_sad:

Great looking naval battle, Legostone. I am loving those firing guns and carronades, and the damaged sloop with all the maimed crew! You captured the battlescenes very well. The story is nice too, although I question the skill of those pirates, if they couldn't spot that their prey was a warship before it was too late! ;)

As to comments, I really think both these ships are excellent. The sloop has a very nice hull, but the rig is what really makes it shine. You have captured it perfect apart from one detail (which goes for the frigate too). I would suggest going over your builds afterwards with a small scissors to cut off excess thread around your knots, as it makes it look a bit messy. The red sail work really well. And were I really to nitpick, I would suggest you try to find some way to continue the tumblehome around the curve at the front, as it looks a little strange that the sides are all the sudden vertical. I haven't got a solution at hand, though... :P

The rigging on the frigate is beautifully elaborate too, and apart from a few loose hanging rope ends, I think there is very little to improve. Your first flirt with cloth sails seems to have paid off! My only gripe with the frigate is that it seems to ride very low in the water, especially when you pile up those round 1x1's for water. A few more plates of height would probably fix this. (But I think this height is more realistic than most of our prefab ships! :P )

Very well done!

On 1.10.2016 at 9:48 PM, dr_spock said:

Excellent ships and presentation of a sea battle.  :thumbup: You can feel the damage from chain-shots on the masts and rigging.  Grapeshots are nasty on the folks at the receiving end. Poor pirates. :pir-cry_sad:

Thanks! Well, they decided to attack first:P

8 hours ago, TitusV said:

awesome ships, as always man!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Great looking naval battle, Legostone. I am loving those firing guns and carronades, and the damaged sloop with all the maimed crew! You captured the battlescenes very well. The story is nice too, although I question the skill of those pirates, if they couldn't spot that their prey was a warship before it was too late! ;)

As to comments, I really think both these ships are excellent. The sloop has a very nice hull, but the rig is what really makes it shine. You have captured it perfect apart from one detail (which goes for the frigate too). I would suggest going over your builds afterwards with a small scissors to cut off excess thread around your knots, as it makes it look a bit messy. The red sail work really well. And were I really to nitpick, I would suggest you try to find some way to continue the tumblehome around the curve at the front, as it looks a little strange that the sides are all the sudden vertical. I haven't got a solution at hand, though... :P

The rigging on the frigate is beautifully elaborate too, and apart from a few loose hanging rope ends, I think there is very little to improve. Your first flirt with cloth sails seems to have paid off! My only gripe with the frigate is that it seems to ride very low in the water, especially when you pile up those round 1x1's for water. A few more plates of height would probably fix this. (But I think this height is more realistic than most of our prefab ships! :P )

Very well done!

There is a reason the big pirate boss didn't trust these guys with more than just a small cutter...:D (Or, better say, there wasn't much more space - the frigate takes a big part of the 80x48 plot, there wouldn't have been enough space for 2 full sized ships (except if the bowsprits overhang 20 studs or (what I actually considered trying) the 48x80 rectangle being vertical...).

I wish I would dar to do that - I always fear that I realise something is slightly wrong after doing it and I can't fix it anymore (especially for these sails - at ~25 minutes a sail I don't want to redo one because I made a small mistake while cutting...). Yeah, that annoyed me too, but the cutter is just too small to work something into there. But oh well, it isn't like I want to keep it... 

Yeah, low riding ships is indeed a problem I see too with my technique here - but I can't really solve it without buying more plates (as the entire lower section consists out a of a bunch of plates), and that would be way to expensive... I guess it has to be a compromise.

Alternatively, you could have worked into your story that the frigate was somehow disguised as a merchant vessel? Just a thought :) And yeah, for a naval battle, 48 by 80 quickly runs out! ;)

I can entirely understand your reluctance to cut off those ends, but I have a solution for you: Make little loops at the sheets and tie the ropes onto those, rather than having the long lines directly embedded in the structure of the sail. That way, you'll be cutting an easily replaceable strong, not part of your sail. :)

And yeah, I just made a small experiment with a cutter hull where I bring the tumblehome all the way round the front, and it can be done. You'll see it at some point, when I post the outcome of that experiment :)

Could you perhaps use some 1 by X bricks to easily raise her hill a bit, or would that ruin her curves? (Real ships have curves! :P )

Nah, they are just blind pirates now:D

Hm, that could be a solution indeed, I'll look into that with my next cloth-sail-ship. 

Hm, can we go back into PMs for that topic? I would like to see your plan there...

Well, technically I could, but I feel like the bow would look very vertical and I would need a bunch more wing plates in white for the stern.

20 hours ago, Legostone said:

Yeah, low riding ships is indeed a problem I see too with my technique here - but I can't really solve it without buying more plates (as the entire lower section consists out a of a bunch of plates), and that would be way to expensive... I guess it has to be a compromise.

Maybe it was the right ship after all and it was so over laden with gold that the water line was dangerously low. :pir-wink:

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Maybe it was the right ship after all and it was so over laden with gold that the water line was dangerously low. :pir-wink:

Maybe because it was loaded with @Elostirion's golden balls? :pir-grin: