Sign in to follow this  
RetroInferno

Is Pharaoh's Quest worth picking up?

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question for owners of some of the Pharaoh's Quest sets, would you recomend anyone picking up some of the sets? ( Scorpion Pyramid has been stuck in my head for the last months ) even if it means paying the after market extra?

I'm conflicted here because it's been a while since the last Adventurer sets and Lego could very well release an egyptian theme ( I hope very hard ) and I'm a big fan of egyptian sets. 

Any thoughts?

I'm definitely recommending this line since it's one of my favourite Action themes.In the end it's up to you to decide but you did say that you like egyptian themed sets so it's no brainer from my point of view.

I'm still beating myself up for not buying the Scorpion Pyramid.

Yeah, the scorpion pyramid is so awesome, but tremendously expensive ( around 240 CAN sealed ). I may start with Rise of the Sphinx as it's affordable and I like the design of the thing.

I own the cobra and the Biplane, and would definitely recommend both! I still need to track down some of those anubis head guards.

The anubis soldiers are in my top 5 favorite figs even if I don't own one, and are the main reason Scorpion Pyramid is so damn expensive too :(

I'll definitly bricklink Rise of the Sphinx and see how that goes!

5 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question for owners of some of the Pharaoh's Quest sets, would you recomend anyone picking up some of the sets? ( Scorpion Pyramid has been stuck in my head for the last months ) even if it means paying the after market extra?

I'm conflicted here because it's been a while since the last Adventurer sets and Lego could very well release an egyptian theme ( I hope very hard ) and I'm a big fan of egyptian sets. 

Any thoughts?

If you like the sets and can afford them, buy them by all means. Another Egypt theme will probably come out in a few years, but if it isn't as good and you don't like it the PQ prices will only go up even more. 

Basically, you're taking a risk waiting for a theme you might not like as much, but, overpriced as they are, the sets you really like are right in front of you. :classic:

I'd start by buying the Biplane set and seeing if you like it. It gives you a taste of pretty much everything the line has to offer and it shouldn't be ridiculously expensive. 

I absolutely love this theme, so I would recommend it. Just be prepared for the aftermarket sticker shock on the big sets. I definetly recommend shopping around, there are still some good to great deals that pop up on E-bay from time to time.

I ordered a couple sealed sets and started with the smaller ones ( they are really reasonably priced ), on the quest for the 6 Pharaoh's treasure! ( I don't want to think about buying the Pyramid now, my wallet doesn't want to get more violated than it already is! )

Lego should do more themes where all the pieces of the puzzle or "reward" are spread througout their sets and canultimatly be combined, like Monster Hunters and this theme.

Edited by RetroInferno

It was a good theme, but the prices can be over the top for MISB. If you are buying for collecting the sets then I'd go for a pro/con list before you buy. If you want the parts to build with, I would say look out for unsealed sets as they rarely miss too much but are a good price.

The plane and Rise of the Sphinx are nice sets, if you can find a good price on them, they work as good tasters for the whole theme. I loved the cobra set too, fun to build and looks good without any changes.

The figures are great in the pyramid, but I was rather underwhelmed by the design and the reliance on the stickered moulded baseplate was frustrating. There were some neat techniques, but you can get those from the instruction book online. The stickers were nice enough, but even years on, I only ever applied them to the columns as it felt wasteful to put on the baseplate. This is assuming you are one to like stickers too.

Hope I didn't throw too much of a spanner in the works, but it is my honest opinion and I bought the whole line.

Honestly, most of the sets I've found online sealed are merely above or pinpoint on the original MSRP, even cheaper as you don't pay taxes on them (15% in my province). The obvious exception being the Scorpion Pyramid, the cheapest sealed is at 180 US$. ( Even found a fellow canadian seller that has the entire collection and lives nearby )

I don't mind stickers much, as long as I don't screw them up ( Hello UCS Slave 1 canopy ) as I often pick up spare sheets for cheap on Bricklink for expensive sets and UCS sets. 

Thanks for the feedback though, it's really appreicated!

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

I will say that even when I didn't collect the theme, I did make sure to get all the mummies and an Anubis guard because I love Egyptian themes too. The figs are undoubtedly worth it!

I also picked up most of the minifigures.  If the sets are too expensive to pursue, I'd say at least try to get all of the minifigures you like.

1 minute ago, x105Black said:

I also picked up most of the minifigures.  If the sets are too expensive to pursue, I'd say at least try to get all of the minifigures you like.

Aaand maybe build up an army of Anubis guards, if you are into that sort of thing. It's out of my budget!

Just now, BrickHat said:

Aaand maybe build up an army of Anubis guards, if you are into that sort of thing. It's out of my budget!

That would be cool.  I only got one of those, but would love more!  I also got a few of the Flying Mummy's wings and bird headdresses.  Those are great looking parts, and that mummy is also great.

1 minute ago, x105Black said:

That would be cool.  I only got one of those, but would love more!  I also got a few of the Flying Mummy's wings and bird headdresses.  Those are great looking parts, and that mummy is also great.

It looks like someone already did it, and it looks pretty badass!

I really liked the whole theme and I own all of them and multiples of many. I did and still will buy any sets/figures I find for low prices. I loved all the dark tans, creatures, etc. It was overall a really fun theme to me. I never built the pyramid set, but used it more as a parts pack. My favorite set was actually very small Scarab Attack

If you do buy the pyramid set used online, be sure to ask if the baseplate is damaged. It is HUGE and hard to store because of the strange size. I could easily see it getting bent or somewhat damaged.

Yeah I saw a lot of used baseplates with damaged corners, extremly botched stickers and such. The Lego baseplates really do bend easily.

And massing anubis guards would be insanely expensive. They sell for like 30$ new.

The build of the scarab in that little set is so damn awesome too!

Back when it was out the pyramid was still on my too expensive list, so I bought about 8 of the Anubis guards keychains and took the figures off the chain. If you are not going to take the pieces apart you might be able to find alternatives to the expensive mini figure.

Somewhat recently I found a couple of the Pharaoh's Quest sets at Barnes and Nobles, terrible, beat-up boxes, but they were all half off. I had limited funds at the time, just bought the new at the time Scooby Doo sets, so I had to choose between the Pyramid or the giant Jackal headed monstrosity and a Serpent. I went with the Pyramid, since what's better than that, and was kind of disappointed with it because of the raised base plate (I already had one from the Indian Jones set which is why I considered the other two sets at all). Back when I was a kid I thought those were some of the coolest pieces, still do today, but I appreciate building up sets nowadays more than ever before. If you can find the Pyramid set, it is still a great set that is built up disregarding the baseplate and has a lot of tiny little action features and a few unique parts, like the coffin. So far, the golden coffin has only had the lid reappear in that $15 Scooby Doo set, so to own the whole thing is a treat. 

As for the two other sets, the Jackal seemed kind of interesting, as well as the serpent, but they seemed to be almost like Chima prototypes. If you like Chima, you'll probably like those two sets.

The only real thing of value is that Pyramid. So unless you want that, I'd skip the theme. 

Edited by Jacob_9821
Spelling Fix

22 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

Yeah I saw a lot of used baseplates with damaged corners, extremly botched stickers and such. The Lego baseplates really do bend easily.

And massing anubis guards would be insanely expensive. They sell for like 30$ new.

The build of the scarab in that little set is so damn awesome too!

Wow, you are definitely right. I had no idea they were so expensive. I think I got mine when they were closer to $10.

Yeah, those sets are pretty awesome.

I picked up a bunch of them when they were in stores. I still have a few of them unopened including the big pyramid set.

Edited by BearHeart

I've finally picked and built Flying Mummy Attack, Golden Staff Guardians and the Scarab Attack!

The mini-figs quality is oustanding, the wings, horus helmets and of the golden prints are amazing!

The egyptians stickers are also very detailed and the vehicle stuff for the explorers is not bad either, in fact the plane in the Flying Mummy Attack is incredible. 

I definitly have to pick more of these sets!