Vader

Brickshelf up, down..who knows!

It's down again. All it shows is: "There was a server error. Please go back and try again" message.

Ah, didn't check the site itself. My signature pics are hosted on BS though, so deeplinks are working again...

Yes, the pictures are up, but the site's still down. My reviews and avatar, at least, are displaying...

If there is some problem, perhaps they've gotten it working this far and are just seeing what to do next.

Yes, the pictures are up, but the site's still down. My reviews and avatar, at least, are displaying...

If there is some problem, perhaps they've gotten it working this far and are just seeing what to do next.

It is hit or miss, I don't think we can expect it back anytime soon.

One of my tags and a Reviewers Academy image in my sig are still not showing up, so it's not a done deal.

I guess it is finally time for me to move to Flickr completely, however much I enjoyed browsing new creations on Brickshelf, if they can`t get this fixed, that is the end of it for me.

In case the error won`t be fixed, I went through most of my posts with photos, uploaded the pics to my Flickr account and edited the links in the posts.

Yep, it's still down !

I feel it's down for the count.

All my pictures gone, ah well that's life - here one minute gone the next.

At least I've learnt how to use MOCpages without any issues or problems. :classic:

Hmmm... Fortunately, I've still got all my pics (where's legoliner pilot now to see the mess that this has caused!). I'm also joining the Flickr bandwagon though. Definitely not a fan Yahoo!, but since I'm not too keen on having all my LEGO-related stuff hosted over at photobucket.com, I guess I'm left with no other option.

That said, I still think Brickshelf will be back up and running in a few days' time. Then they'll give us some kind of notice and tell us that the site is going down for good.

Brickshelf might have been gone forever (there's a topic here), the Dutch site has been off for a while now "Due to trafic problems", so you should rely on Peeron scans or the official Lego website (Customer service, building instructions).

Ow.. All my pics is now gone, including my avatar. :cry_sad: I can´t even get on BS.

I don´t really like FlickR, but I guess there is no other option, at least temporarily..

One thing has bugged me a while, how do you post direct pics into a topic from FlickR? It´s not like with BS at all... :thumbdown:

Edited by Dennimator

Damn! Now I can't even get to the site anymore! :cry_sad:

I hope I can transfer my pics to my newly created Flickr account soon, if BS goes up again for a while...

Hopefully it doesn't mean the end of BS... :sad:

~General Magma

A terrible thing for LEGO-related photo activities... :cry_sad:

The worst part is that many reviews are now chopped and messed up :sad: . Even one WIP review of mine for the RA is still waiting for the problem to be fixed.

Well, I 'll just wait 4-5 days more, and then I'll just move into another image hosting site.

Hope dies last I suppose...

P.S

I've even adjusted the link's name to my BS folder in my signature. For the ones who are unaware of the problem...

:sadnew:

Ow.. All my pics is now gone, including my avatar. :cry_sad: I can´t even get on BS.

I don´t really like FlickR, but I guess there is no other option, at least temporarily..

One thing has bugged me a while, how do you post direct pics into a topic from FlickR? It´s not like with BS at all... :thumbdown:

Actually, it's almost exactly like Brickshelf. To post your Flickr images here you just get your image URL and post it here with IMG or URL tags around it. And to get your Flickr image URL, just click on "All Sizes", choose the size you want, and it will give you a URL to cut & paste. Flickr does ask that you don't post images elsewhere without linking back to the Flickr website though, so your tags should look like this:

[url=Flickr page][img=Flickr image URL][/url]

Flickr is not free. It doesn't have the easy-to-navigate/upload system like Brickshelf. You have to find and follow tens of groups to reach LEGO images. MOCPages is a better hıst when it comes to LEGO but still they are no alternate to Brickshelf unfortunately. It was an idiot proof web site and it did its job just perfectly. I hope someone else can come up with such FTP-like web site for LEGO images.

Flickr is not free. It doesn't have the easy-to-navigate/upload system like Brickshelf. You have to find and follow tens of groups to reach LEGO images. MOCPages is a better hıst when it comes to LEGO but still they are no alternate to Brickshelf unfortunately. It was an idiot proof web site and it did its job just perfectly. I hope someone else can come up with such FTP-like web site for LEGO images.

Well I have an account, and I've never paid for it, but I agree with you. I don't understand all the people who go crazy raving about how flickr is so much better. To me it's the same, but all I care about now is having brickshelf back because that's where all of my pictures are! :tongue:

VBBN made this nice tutorial about Flickr yesterday. :wink:

Yes, it is free. The free version does not have as much storage as the Pro version (19.99 USD a year I think), but I have found the free version to be more than adequate as a photo hosting site.

What do you mean "follow tens of groups to get to Lego"? You mean you're looking for a Lego Flickr group? There's plenty more than one, so you'll have to be specific. If you're looking for Lego pictures, there is a search function. And if you want to keep track of fellow Lego fans and their creations, there's a contact feature.

I really don't get why so many people hate Flickr. It's never crashed (to my memory), or even had any hiccups. You get a 100 MB upload allowance per month (which is at least 150 photos). There's a 200 picture limit on how much you can have on your photostream, but you can always reupload if you need pictures on there. Uploading is fast, and deeplinking is a breeze. Your profile is completely customizable, and your pictures are automatically resized (you can choose from multiple sizes when deeplinking including thumbnail size), and the site is up-to-date (in design and performance) and easy to use.

Did I mention that all of the above was FREE? Yup, that's an awesome deal.

So at least give it a chance- Flickr is a great site to keep your photos, and you can live without fear of a crash or plagiarism (you can't copy images or image locations from pics that aren't yours).

(you can't copy images or image locations from pics that aren't yours).

I agree with the rest of your post on Flickr, but this bit isn't accurate. I've never surfed Flickr with javascript on, but if it's being showed on your computer, you can copy it. You can try to find it in cache, or you can, like me, disable javascript. And barring those options (flash-based galleries), you can just screen-capture it. You won't get the original necessarily, and using the last method will result in a bit more compression artifacts, but it's still possible to copy it.

Not that I endorse such actions myself (or have any use for this knowledge pertinent to the subject matter at hand), but it'd give people a false sense of security if they went around thinking otherwise. This applies to any image hosting site, so it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Sorry guys but whatever you say will not change the fact that Flickr is not free. You can only store 200 images and this is ridiculous. You can only have 3 folders with it and that's even more ridicilous. It makes browsing a boring experience without folders. Not many people will want to pay for it. In Brickshelf you only need to click recent images to follow new MOCs but with Flickr you have to locate tens of LEGO related groups to find new MOCs. People will post in one group and not one other. It provides more challenges than the service it promises.

I have been using it for a long time and I have multiple accounts with different topics and it has served me very well for my other needs. But for LEGO it definetely is not a good alternative to Brickshelf. MOC images require folders and lots of images and Flickr don't provide those with a free membership. That's pretty much the end of it. I see that Flickr is very "in" lately and people like to follow crowds without putting much thought on it. Unfortunately it doesn't help us with our needs.

"There was a server error. Please go back and try again."

That's what the site just said 1 minute before posting this.

It's sad about Brickshelf, but I have no problem (at the moment) with MOCpages, in fact I find it easy to use. Maybe one day good old Brickshelf will reboot itself out of the darkness so we can all use it again.

Well, I'm currently trying to get used to Picasa 3 (1 GB of space and the possibility to make them public or have a kind of 'selected viewers' option; all you need is to create a [free] gmail account to activate it) and see how good it is for managing LEGO images. I'll eventually keep you up-dated.

This is great news, all my old decals are gone forever. :devil:

It's like a dream come true. :sweet:

Actually, no! I have a copy of all those you posted here; they should be up again soon for the Indexes :devil:

On the other hand, if for any reason you want me to take some out of the batch, just PM me.

LuxorV