Vader

Brickshelf up, down..who knows!

I'm going to stay with Brickshelf for the moment. I have plenty of space on my ISP and university accounts as well as some gaming websites, but as I said earlier I like the exposure that pictures get on Brickshelf.

I still use BS for the same reason. I rarely link to it though.

BS is back up, but maybe only temporarily. Use this little program here to save all your pictures so you don't lose them!

Thanks for the link. :sweet:

One question though, the program says all the files will be saved on my hard drive. I have downlöoaded them, but can´t find them. Do anyone know where thew program will save them?

One question though, the program says all the files will be saved on my hard drive. I have downlöoaded them, but can´t find them. Do anyone know where thew program will save them?

Step 1: Find the big blue "1"

Step 2: The directory is to the right of it...

I really wish Kevin Loch (does he still run BS?) would post somewhere... he's not a star at communication :grin: And... I'd really like Brickshelf to return to what it was: no non-sense, reliable, Lego image hosting that every AFOL uses (but considering the reactions here, I guess that's not going to happen).

I really wish Kevin Loch (does he still run BS?) would post somewhere... he's not a star at communication :grin: And... I'd really like Brickshelf to return to what it was: no non-sense, reliable, Lego image hosting that every AFOL uses (but considering the reactions here, I guess that's not going to happen).

I think Kevin is still the one-man-BS-band. He's been a very generous man to the AFOL community (I doubt BS make much, if any, money), but yeah, I also wish he'd make a statement. He does have an account on EB... but he hasn't been here since last time.

Probably a crazy idea, but wouldn't TLG consider spending some tens of thousands euros per year to keep a dedicated Lego image hosting site up and running, in exchange for all the inspiration they get from what the community comes up with and spotting talent that they could recruit for the company? For them it's probably peanuts, altough I guess that TLG sponsoring could hurt the independence of such a site, but as long as what's allowed on Brickshelf now would be allowed on a TLG sponsored site, I personally would be fine with that. But perhaps the more talented builders would move somewhere else.

Wow, thanks for that! It'll save me hours of downloading each picture one by one. :sweet:

Credit for the link goes to 3D Brickthing. :sweet:

I think Kevin is still the one-man-BS-band. He's been a very generous man to the AFOL community (I doubt BS make much, if any, money), but yeah, I also wish he'd make a statement. He does have an account on EB... but he hasn't been here since last time.

He actually started a forum on the Brickshelf site in 2006 and posted there, but inexplicably took down the whole place after two weeks. In one of the posts there, he said it costs "thousands of dollars a month" to run the site, but that the ad revenue covers all the expenses. That was back then, though.

I'm willing to upgrade since I also believe that Brickshelf won't last forever, like WhiteFang and Siegfried. And since I'm not uploading to Brickshelf, I don't need to log in.

Did I make any sense?

What I get no credit since I'm not staff. I posted the same thing above both of them at the top. Of this page.

Seriously though, I'd move on, brickshelf is an unstable site and I wouldn't want to loose my valued images.

Probably a crazy idea, but wouldn't TLG consider spending some tens of thousands euros per year to keep a dedicated Lego image hosting site up and running, in exchange for all the inspiration they get from what the community comes up with and spotting talent that they could recruit for the company? For them it's probably peanuts, altough I guess that TLG sponsoring could hurt the independence of such a site, but as long as what's allowed on Brickshelf now would be allowed on a TLG sponsored site, I personally would be fine with that. But perhaps the more talented builders would move somewhere else.

I am 100% positive this would never happen. LEGO is a smart thriving companiy and would not throw money away like that.

I don't upload photos that much. BUT, just for browsing purposes, I'd be willing to donate to brickshelf WAY before I even considered flickr.

Stupid Flickr.

I highly recomend saving all your pictures, as I don't think it's staying up permenantly.

Big Cam was first to say this. I apologise for stealing his thunder, and I swear I will do my best to not do so again.

He actually started a forum on the Brickshelf site in 2006 and posted there, but inexplicably took down the whole place after two weeks.

I didn't know that! :oh: I think I didn't get serious about LEGO again until late 06.

In one of the posts there, he said it costs "thousands of dollars a month" to run the site, but that the ad revenue covers all the expenses. That was back then, though.

I did know he said that, but I never found the source. Now I know why! :laugh:

BS is back up, but maybe only temporarily. Use this little program here to save all your pictures so you don't lose them!

Just recall when Brickshelf was going to be taken down a few years back when this program was created. It caused so much traffic as people were backing up like crazy which exacerbated the problem even further. I recall he posted at the time that he would ban IPs using the program. So use at your own peril.

It is really sweet feeling browsing BS again!

I do not know how long it will be online, but I will appreciate it much more now!

I realized that I am missing it very much, during its shut down period!

Big Cam was first to say this. I apologise for stealing his thunder, and I swear I will do my best to not do so again.

Thats better :blush:

I'm just kidding, you guys are doing great don't ban me :grin:

went to check brickshelf the other day as well... and...the site was down... it's a shame hat a monument in the lego community of that magnitude is in so much trouble. even if lego isn't buying the site, they could easily sponsor the site... they owe brickshelf BIG time, after all...

Clearly you don't like Flickr and nothing I'm going to say will be likely to change that, but I really don't understand your reasons given here. Flickr is free up to the 200 image limit, beyond that you pay for the extra space and features. That's quite different from asserting as a 'fact' that Flickr is not free. I have no idea what you're referring to with the "3 folder" limit. The equivalent of folders at Flickr are sets, and there doesn't appear to be any limit to the number of sets you can create. You even have the added feature of being able to include any single uploaded image simultaneously in multiple sets. So you can group your images in different ways at the same time.

I also think the 'group pool' feature you complain about is an improvement over BrickShelf. Instead of having to wade through MOCs or pics that are of no interest to me I can go straight to the group(s) relevant to my interests and see what is new. And if I want a broader more inclusive list of new pics I can go to the general "LEGO" group too. Plus if there is a particular builder who impresses me I can add him as a contact, and then my homepage will inform me of any new pics from that user.

And on top of all of that, Flickr has the massive advantages from a community perspective of allowing messages between users, comments from other builders about your MOCs, and especially notes on the actual image to point out specific areas that are good or could use improvement.

I'm as sad as anyone else to see BrickShelf on its last legs, but the more I use Flickr the more I prefer it over the BrickShelf format. But to each his own, and you are of course free to dislike it as much as you want.

Agreed, on all of this.

In response to everyone (spaceMonkey, TheOtteres, etc.) who is talking about this, I suppose it's really a personal preference, not a preference of the AFOL community in general. I like Flickr because it's fast, easy to navigate, and I can mingle with other FOLs without spamming up the forums. I did try BS at the beginning of my renewed Lego hobby, but I found it too slow. I know your supposed to do something with your .zip files, but I just think it's easier to upload directly from my Lego folder.

I'm not trying to make anyone use Flickr, but I was just suggesting it. We each have our own preferences, mine being a fast uploaded for only about an average of 20 pics that I upload monthly.

How can I get multiple flickr accounts? At the moment its all tied to my rather naff Yahoo! ID... Plus I keep forgetting my password.

Create more IDs, possibly with different Emails if you need to. I've never needed more than one account, so I'm exactly sure how it works.

went to check brickshelf the other day as well... and...the site was down... it's a shame hat a monument in the lego community of that magnitude is in so much trouble. even if lego isn't buying the site, they could easily sponsor the site... they owe brickshelf BIG time, after all...

So it's down again? crap. :hmpf_bad:

EDIT: I checked it and its fine, sorry about that.

Edited by RocketClone

So it's down again? crap. :hmpf_bad:
If you actually read snefroe's post, you will see that he that he looked at Brickshelf the other day.

EDIT: Ahh, beaten by Striker!

Anyways, I'll probably be making another account for at least my review photos (while other photos like event photos will go in my Brickshelf account, and set news and things will go to my main Flickr account with either a link to more pics on BS or all of the pics will be uploaded there). Resizing photos on IrfanView really lowers the quality of the picture, while uploading the original picture to Flickr yields much clearer and less fuzzy ones.

Edited by ILikePi

And Brickfactory is back too: http://brickfactory.xs4all.nl/

Edit: and is slower than it used to be....

XS4All is a Dutch ISP and the URL looks like it's hosted on someone's home ADSL connection, which restricts the download speed of the site to the upload speed of that home connection. ADSL (at least in the Netherlands) has a maximum upload speed of 1 Mbit, which would then be is the download speed to the rest of the world.

Anyways, I'll probably be making another account for at least my review photos (while other photos like event photos will go in my Brickshelf account, and set news and things will go to my main Flickr account with either a link to more pics on BS or all of the pics will be uploaded there). Resizing photos on IrfanView really lowers the quality of the picture, while uploading the original picture to Flickr yields much clearer and less fuzzy ones.

You probably haven't set the resizing options correctly. I use Irfanview's Lanczos filter and follow it up with the sharpen filter on all my photos, which I find produces very good results in practice.

And Brickfactory is back too: http://brickfactory.xs4all.nl/

Edit: and is slower than it used to be....

I hope they get their issues fixed soon, as it's basically unusable in that state for viewing instructions. It does feel like it's hosted on a home connection.

Edited by CP5670

I was wondering whether there's been an official statement by Kevin so far regarding Brickshelf's future... I know this was supposed to be a server change, but the lack of any kind of information during that was a bit unnerving. So does anyone know what BS's future is going to look like?

I was wondering whether there's been an official statement by Kevin so far regarding Brickshelf's future... I know this was supposed to be a server change, but the lack of any kind of information during that was a bit unnerving. So does anyone know what BS's future is going to look like?

Who's Kevin? :3

Who's Kevin? :3

To give you a short answer, he's the creator of Brickshelf and runs it.