Vader

Brickshelf up, down..who knows!

How is the code on flickr inconvenient? Flickr generates the code for you. You click 'share','copy html/bbcode' with a tick at 'bbcode', and simply copy and paste the code to the forum.

(You can upload other file formats, but flickr turns them them into jpeg and jpeg doesn't allow transparency).

Sometimes, though, I want just the plain URL. Usually because I don't want to link to flickr.

Thanks for the clarification. That is a problem, though, because some of my pictures (mostly avatars) usually have transparent backgrounds.

I've noticed that Brickshelf has been down all weekend. The fellow who moderates the site rarely "makes public" new files on the weekends, so he/she may not even know that the server has crashed. Look for it to get better on Monday.

I've noticed that Brickshelf has been down all weekend. The fellow who moderates the site rarely "makes public" new files on the weekends, so he/she may not even know that the server has crashed. Look for it to get better on Monday.

Thanks Dluders.

Edwin

Flickr only does URL? That stinks, How are we supose to post images instead of links then? Oh well, I tried brickshelf again and it is still down. I'd use mocpages but its hard to deep link photo's from there.

Flickr only does URL? That stinks, How are we supose to post images instead of links then? Oh well, I tried brickshelf again and it is still down. I'd use mocpages but its hard to deep link photo's from there.

Uh, no, you can deeplink from flickr... Look at Ralph's post further up the page.

What? flickr provides the URL of the image. They just automatically surround it with other BBCode linking back to flickr. If I don't want that, then I have to manually delete all the BBCode after I paste it, which is annoying. (or I have to right-click and go to another page to get to a photo I can right-click on the normal way to obtain the URL)

Yeah, Brickshelf is back online.

I find it easier to deep link with the brickshelf since my pics are named picture_1.jpg, picture_2.jpg, etc. I just copy the html code for one and then paste and change the number of the subsequent photos in the text editor. On flickr I have to copy code individually for each pic and paste into the text editor. Flickr doesn't use the same filename I uploaded for the link but some weird hexadecimal. It is not too bad for a couple of pictures but it gets tedious when writing a Lego set review with lots of pics. The nice thing about Flickr, you can link to different sizes. You don't have to resize before uploading. That helps with 800x600 limit on EB.

Brickshelf deep link code example:

...//www.brickshelf.com/gallery/drspock/boeing777/picture_11870.jpg

...//www.brickshelf.com/gallery/drspock/boeing777/picture_11880.jpg

Flickr deep link code example:

...//farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6416245725_bff124fe1b_z.jpg

... = http:

Edited by dr_spock

I find it easier to deep link with the brickshelf since my pics are named picture_1.jpg, picture_2.jpg, etc. I just copy the html code for one and then paste and change the number of the subsequent photos in the text editor. On flickr I have to copy code individually for each pic and paste into the text editor. Flickr doesn't use the same filename I uploaded for the link but some weird hexadecimal. It is not too bad for a couple of pictures but it gets tedious when writing a Lego set review with lots of pics.

On that note, I also name my photos with a short description for my review to make the BBCode easier to navigate. (e.g., ...1-box_front.jpg) This is especially helpful in larger set reviews, when I usually have around seventy-five photos. I can't do that with flickr.

although BS is backup for viewing the pics you can't upload anything!

but at least there is a maintenance notice!

We are currently performing system maintenance that affects your account. Please try again later.

Brickshelf seems to be up now. I haven't tried logging in yet. Its annoying that they don't notify their users unlike mocpages does.

I've switched to Dropbox. It's free, super fast and easy, and allows hotlinking. You can upload any file type, use subfolders and Capital Letters (CamelCase filenames are much easier to read than all lower case). All the file management is done through your Windows/Mac/Linux file explorer (drag and drop!), and if you change a file and keep the same filename, your link remains the same also (unlike most hosts that create a new random hash each time). It supports transparent .pngs properly (instead of making a blurry mess out of the thumbnails in the gallery), and is pretty much unlikely to ever go down. You get 2GB of storage, and 10GB of bandwidth per day.

Links look like this:

dl.dropbox.com/s/ys8pzmetwwkmey5/LEGO/LDD/Sets/Space/M-Tron/Space-M-Tron-06811-425.604-PulsarCharger.lxf?dl=1

instead of a random mess of a hash like this:

i.minus.com/1328097770/wBx0oN9WgM4pFl95E3d8mA/dbeaeFpcQARD7j.lxf

I know this is very important for many of you, as it makes writing up posts much easier. Once you create a sharable link on a top level folder it assigns a permanent unique hash to only that folder name, and everything beneath it remains as you named it. ("Shared" is the name of mine, it is the "ys8pzmetwwkmey5" in the Dropbox URL, and will never change. And yes, I have overly detailed filenames.)

You can see all my LDD sets here: http://db.tt/Zr1Ur1Ne to get an idea of how the galleries work. If you do decide to switch, signing up though this link, http://db.tt/NRG9TY6u, will get both of us an extra 250MB of space. I hope some of you find this helpful and hope it gets you back to showing off your great creations again.

I use dropbox too. I often work on different computers, both at work and at home, and it's an easy way to have access to my files no matter where I am. I had never imagined using it as a way of publishing pictures, though.

I'm also not sure I want to. If all it takes to get to my files is a link to them -without requiring a password- I'm a bit worried about security. I've got work stuff on there!

Presumably you've set part of your allocated space as publicly accessible?

Cheers,

Ralph

Presumably you've set part of your allocated space as publicly accessible?

That's correct. I created a new top level folder (same level in the hierarchy as the default "Photos" and "Public" folders) named "Shared", then used the "Get sharable link" command in the dropdown menu. This is an advanced option that differs from the "Get public link" that has to be enabled, you can read about it here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/167 . Anything I create beneath the "Shared" folder inherits its public properties. Only these files (and anything I put in the default "Public" folder, obviously) are viewable by others. Anything outside of those folders that I choose to keep private, stays private.

As far as security concerns, the hash for the folder with the sharable link setting is unique to that folder, e.g. /s/ys8pzmetwwkmey5/ instead of the /u/2l534643/ (that's a made up number btw) you get when using the "Copy public link" command. So it is very walled off, and as long as you make sure you don't put anything sensitive there by accident, you're fine.

Edited by zinfinion

Hmmm it is still down today.

Yeah, I'm taking zinfinion's advice and moving all my stuff to Dropbox. Gives me a good excuse to tidy it up a bit too.

Yeah, I'm taking zinfinion's advice and moving all my stuff to Dropbox. Gives me a good excuse to tidy it up a bit too.

?

What about presentations of moc already linked to the bickshelf? All of my stuff from all of my posts are linked there, just check the ""Drow" thread... I do not have enough nerve to do all that coding again.

But, I do hope that brickshelf is going to work again, pretty soon ;)

Does anybody have any news?

Through the "grapevine:"

reposted from BrickLink forums:

"According to what Tim wrote over on Flickr AFOL 16+ group, Brickshelf had hardware

failures:

"Thank you for your patience as we work to restore service after our recent hardware

failures.""

That's correct. I created a new top level folder (same level in the hierarchy as the default "Photos" and "Public" folders) named "Shared", then used the "Get sharable link" command in the dropdown menu. This is an advanced option that differs from the "Get public link" that has to be enabled, you can read about it here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/167 . Anything I create beneath the "Shared" folder inherits its public properties. Only these files (and anything I put in the default "Public" folder, obviously) are viewable by others. Anything outside of those folders that I choose to keep private, stays private.

As far as security concerns, the hash for the folder with the sharable link setting is unique to that folder, e.g. /s/ys8pzmetwwkmey5/ instead of the /u/2l534643/ (that's a made up number btw) you get when using the "Copy public link" command. So it is very walled off, and as long as you make sure you don't put anything sensitive there by accident, you're fine.

Thanks for the added info. I'm a happy user of flickr, but this is good to know.

Cheers,

Ralph

spacefan6901

Thanks for that ; it is reassuring to know that I didn't cause the problem with brickshelf when I tried to upload a 'Maersk' photo on the weekend. :laugh: